Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
If trajectory doesn't matter? 270 win vs. 308 win >

If trajectory doesn't matter? 270 win vs. 308 win

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

If trajectory doesn't matter? 270 win vs. 308 win

Old 12-04-2015, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of inches of a light contour barrel is not very much difference in weight. The short action vs. the long action is not very much weight. I would not consider these as major factors unless I was shaving every ounce to include light weight sling, scope rings, and of course the scope. I see fellows with light rifles equipped with padded leather slings and big scopes and I do not quite understand their thinking.

A light contour barrel and a light weight stock make sense if you are starting with a fairly light action to begin with.

I have had light weight rifles before and decided that I did not need them. I had a Forbes and finally sold it a couple of years ago. There are a still a M700 Mountain rifle chambered in 270 here that my wife loves. If I wanted another light rifle I would just buy another M700 Mountain rifle chambered in 270 or 280.

The 308 is a very useful cartridge and it is a good compromise for most purposes. It is a "Jack of all trades, Master of none" and it certainly has it's place. However, for larger game and general versatility I think most would be better served with one of the long-action cartridges.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
The short action vs. the long action is not very much weight.
In Remington 700's, there's only about a 3-4oz spread for the two lengths. In others, like Ruger, CZ, and Winchester, it's a half pound difference between short and long action, savages fall between there - and again, these actions start out a pound heavier than Remingtons already.

So action choice can make a difference - you can add a half to 3/4 pound simply by switching a Rem 700 short action for a Ruger or Winchester long action.

Barrel length, while not a lot of weight, tends to affect balance quite a bit. I never noticed how much difference it makes until I started playing with different brakes on the same rifle. Since the weight is out on a long lever arm, the balance can totally change with just a few ounces.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:30 AM
Typical Buck

Trajectory is why I would own a 270 over a 308. So I guess I'm ruled out of this post.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

lf trajectory didn't matter, everybody would be usin 30-30's
RR
Old 12-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
lf trajectory didn't matter, everybody would be usin 30-30's
RR
Good point - and probably worse than that!

If trajectory didn't matter, I could believe we still would have evolved metallic centerfire cartridges for the ease or loading and feeding in repeating firearms, but we probably wouldn't have worried about creating anything with a better trajectory than a 56-56 Spencer Rimfire or a 44-40 Centerfire, and probably wouldn't have worried about improving smokeless powder over traditional black.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:26 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
If you're going to consider the .270, you might as well just get the .280 Remington and be done w/it. You'd be glad you did. The biggest difference between the .280 and the others you've inquired about is that you need to get the ammo from a real gun store instead of just walking into a Wally world type box store.(That can be a factor) The 280 has similar recoil to the .270 and its 7mm bullets are overall better ballistically . Standard and premium ammo is available to suit virtually any big game requirement.
Never have seen a shooter or an animal that could tell the difference in a .270 vs .280.

OP, at reasonable ranges, there is no appreciable difference in a .270 and 308, as far as performance on game, when both are loaded with good bullets. I've used both extensively. I am a little bit partial to the 270 win. It was my first CF rifle cartridge and I have killed enough game to fill a couple of large dump trucks with it. Lately, I've been carrying a Kimber Montana in 308 @ ~5 lbs, all-up. Hiking steep and far certainly favors that rifle. It kills chit.

Bottom line is that the bullet shoved in the brass matters more than what is written on the base of that brass.

Last edited by PigBrick; 12-13-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PigBrick
Never have seen a shooter or an animal that could tell the difference in a .270 vs .280.

OP, at reasonable ranges, there is no appreciable difference in a .270 and 308, as far as performance on game, when both are loaded with good bullets. I've used both extensively. I am a little bit partial to the 270 win. It was my first CF rifle cartridge and I have killed enough game to fill a couple of large dump trucks with it. Lately, I've been carrying a Kimber Montana in 308 @ ~6 lbs, all-up. Hiking steep and far certainly favors that rifle. It kills chit.

Bottom line is that the bullet shoved in the brass matters more than what is written on the base of that brass.
PB, that could be said about any number of cartridges. Like the previous noted calibers, it's an option for the OP that deserves mention. Seems most people, including yourself, have or had a favorite. I agree that it's the bullet that does the job.