Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Have you become an (X Ring) person? >

Have you become an (X Ring) person?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Have you become an (X Ring) person?

Old 12-30-2015, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mountingman247
After 20 years of really paying attention to trying to shoot truly good,tight groups,i just stand a gun that won't!!!!!!!The previous 30 years,i was a 9 inch paper plate shooter. If i could hit the plate at 100 yards i was an expert [to myself].
Being that i hunted the hills and mountains of Pa. Also thick brush and jump shots,i had a 30-30 lever action.
I had given my 30-30s ,2 of them,one to my son and the other to my son-in-law. They brought both of them to me to go over and make sure that these guns were ready for deer season. It has been about 15 years since iv'e even touched a 30-30,so i am happy to play with them???
All i will say is i had a lot higher expectations for these 2 guns and myself shooting them? I tried to get them to shoot like my other guns? I have loaded 5 different bullets and as many powders and 2 inches at 50 yards and 6 to 8 inches at 100 yards,is the best these will do!
I can hear it now"My 30-30 will shoot 1 inch groups all day long". #1,i am glad for you and #2,i would have to see it.These 2 guns aren't ones like that??????
I have a new,in the box,308 Win,that i am getting ready and i am going to give to my son. He missed 2 bucks last season with his 30-30! Is it him or the gun? Its the gun,i trained him how to shoot?
Mounting Man(247)
Mounting Man,

While I looked at group sizes and wanted the smallest I looked that the rifle stayed sighted in. We can get the buck with just one shot. That's the first shot.

Now I keep a record of what load and rifle condition hit on what place on the target. That's most important.

Here is how a new to me M70 did at 200 yds.

Last edited by Savage_99; 12-30-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mountingman, I know this thread's a few months old, but what brand/model are your 30-30's? What bulletweights were the loads you tried? Were the rifles scoped, or shooting open sighted?

6-8" is very surprising if they're scoped rifles.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Another thought comes to mind after reading NoMercy448's post.
How old are these rifles and how are they being cleaned (what type of solvent)?
It could be that there is a build-up of copper in the bore that is affecting accuracy.
I've found that Hoppe's Elite is a pretty good copper solvent and not as nasty as the ammonia based solvents. Just a thought.