Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
7 mag for elk >

7 mag for elk

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7 mag for elk

Old 11-17-2015, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default 7 mag for elk

We have used the 7 mag with mixed results on elk @ 400 plus yardages. Most of the time shooting core lokt 150s. It would appear that it lacks the foot pounds of energy to be lethal on marginal shots. Given that all shots are not perfect what factory ammo would you recommend or should we step up in caliber?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Really - not enough energy at 400 yards ??

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....on-magnum.html

Marginal shots.............. maybe a .416 Rigby !
Old 11-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been killing elk with a 7mm Mag for over 40 years. My brother, father and grandfather all use or used the cartridge as well. I'm guessing my family has killed between 120-140 elk with them. So, I'm going to say it was plenty of power but we use 160-175 gr bullets.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of elk get killed every year with .243wins and Durty Thurty's - it's definitely not a problem of kinetic energy. Most of the elk I've killed have been with "lesser cartridges" meaning less kinetic energy than the 7mm RM.

What does mixed results really mean? Elk running off? Not dropping DRT? Not recovered?

What does "marginal" really mean? Are you talking about shooting a 1.5MOA load at elk so your best bet is that you're within 6", or are you talking about taking less-than-ideal shot angles, like quartering towards or head-on shots?

What do your recovered bullets look like? The Cor-lokt is a good bullet, shouldn't have any problem taking down any elk at 400yrds or less.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

The old marginal hit was what I was referring to. Not in lungs or heart. My son shot one @ 475 2 years ago and it went maybe 60 yds but it was hit perfect. So what I am trying to come up with is something that will help out with the less than perfect shots. Such as a liver or gut shot. Perhaps put enough more hurt on em to keep the down even if not dead. That's what happen with mine this year when shot with a 338 wm. Bad shot but he went down where I couldn't see him and was still there for a followup when I got there. I know every shot is different but what factory ammo for a 7 mag would approach achieving this kind of results.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your son shoots at elk further than I do, but to each their own. A gut shot elk will sometimes feel sick enough to bed down but I do not think there is any good rifle and ammo combination on this planet to guarantee recovering a poorly shot elk.

Federal loads the wonderful 160 grain Nosler Partition. That should be a very nice factory elk round if his rifle shoots it well enough.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Spike

I have been elk hunting 3 different years and use 7 MM. We use Federal Premium Vital-Shok Nosler Partition. These cartridges helped harvest 4 elk during 2nd season this year. None ran more than 50 yards with the longest shot around 275. The bull I harvested this year had a exit hole in his shoulder the size of a silver dollar. He was above me quartering away. Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

You would be better served, and so would the wildlife if you practiced enough with your rifle so that you will know your ability to make a good shot and know your limitations and pass up a shot that very well could wind up as a poor hit. There is no magic bullet that will make up for poor shooting!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion is a 3 part one. Number one stop trying to shoot at long range when you obviously don't have the skills for it.Number 2, the 7mmRM is a fine elk cartridge but I would suggest a heavier bullet such as what Mercy pointed out. Number 3, and this one is pretty dang important, PRACTICE MORE!!!! There is absolutely NO reason to be taking ANY shots that you have not practiced at that range. And my own little lowly opinion is there is absolutely NO reason to be taking shots past 300-400 yards PERIOD. If you can't get closer to a dang Elk than 400 yards you don't need to be hunting them anyway.

You need to be worrying less about what bullet/cartridge will have greater effect with marginal shots and worrying more about NOT MAKING THE MARGINAL SHOTS! I can't count how many poor elk and whitetail I have come across all sick and dying slow painful deaths because people didn't feel the need to practice so they could make clean and quick kills. Or because they thought because their rifle had "magnum" in the name that is was somehow magical and could make those long range shots FOR them.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I couldn't agree more on the distance and practice issues. I may need to change outfitters as he is big on long range shooting and I am an old bow hunter that thinks 40 yds is a long shot. Actually I am very comfortable out to 400 off a SOLID rest but often times the elk pops up unexpectedly and nerves get the best of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.