HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Glock 43 vs S&W Shield vs LC9 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/402720-glock-43-vs-s-w-shield-vs-lc9.html)

Wayspr 11-17-2015 04:49 AM

Glock 43 vs S&W Shield vs LC9

Looking for a single stack 9 for concealed carry. I live in south Mississippi where I wear shorts and tee shirts 7+ months a year. It'll mostly be inside waistband carry with some pocket carry. Looking at the above 3 weapons, leaning toward the Glock for no other reason than its a Glock. Any real world experience with these 3? Have not held any, will do that next week. Main criteria are concealability and reliability. I have full sized weapons that I never carry because they're too big and heavy. Give it to me straight, pros, cons, likes, dislikes.

jeepkid 11-17-2015 07:14 AM

My Dad carries a Shield or a Ruger and he likes the Shield much more. I carry a Kahr CW9 and I like it better then any of the others. Skinny, light but feels like a solid weapon in the hand...

Nomercy448 11-17-2015 09:28 AM

I wouldn't buy Glock just because it says Glock on the side - it's a great pistol, but be sure it fits your hand and meets your criteria for function first. I'm a lot closer to an "anti-Glock" guy than I am a "glock guy," but I carry a Glock 42 pretty often, and have had a Glock 19 Gen 2 on my nightstand for the last 10yrs. I don't have to like the way it looks, or like the fact that it's foreign made - they fit my hand, shoot well for me instinctively, and they're reliable.

The Shield pistols miss the mark for my hand - just not a great fit. I also don't like manual safeties on my carry pieces, and the pivoting trigger safety on the shield really isn't a safety at all - so it NEEDS a safety. I've reworked a couple of the Shields for friends, they're accurate and quite reliable, but it's not my choice.

I'll assume that you're aware, but just in case - there's a big difference between the LC9 and LC9s. The LC9 is the original - now discontinued - DAO hammer fired version with a very very long trigger travel that comes in around 7lbs. The new LC9s is a striker fired model with a blade-type trigger block safety, with about 5-5.5lb trigger pull. The only problem with the LC9s is that it's basically an SA trigger in a DA trigger reach design, so it has a pretty healthy trigger reach, kinda tricks your hand at first.

That's only a consideration if you're buying used, the LC9 has been discontinued, and frankly, there's even a trade-in promotion from Ruger to upgrade LC9's to LC9s's. I didn't trade in my LC9, and probably won't sell it. I bought an LC9s, I carry either of them, and shoot either of them pretty similarly.

The LC9 and LC9s are thin - they tend to feel weird in hand because of it, but the control on grip is solid. Throw a Hogue pistol wrap on it and it feels great. For $300-350 pistols (maybe more now?) they're very accurate, and 100% reliable. Recoil is sharp, but the LC9's do not move in hand.

I also have a Kahr PM9 and CM40, and my MIL has a CM9, they're definitely worth a look. Great triggers for a DAO pistol, if you're interested in a DAO.

super_hunt54 11-17-2015 12:40 PM

I'm just the opposite of Mercy's feelings on the Glock. Can't stand them. Hate everything about them. They feel like a brick in my hand and I would rather throw the gun at someone than try to shoot them with it!

If it's an easy carry single stack you want, I have a hard time not recommending the Sig P239 or even the smaller P290rs. The 290 is a good bit too small for my hands but I have Gorilla hands so most CC single stackers are gonna be small for me. Just something I had to get accustomed to. the 239 is DA/SA so that's a big plus. Can't stand DAO actions myself but that's a personal preference. The 290 is DAO action with fairly heavy trigger pull. Thinking around 8 pounds.

hoghunting 11-17-2015 01:37 PM

I bought, shoot and carry the LC9s Pro - no manual safety or magazine disconnect. I put Tru-Glo night sites on it and it has been perfect. Recoil is much nicer than many .380s and with the "Glock" style trigger the LC9s is very accurate. I handled the 43 and the Shield too, bought the LC9s.

Oldtimr 11-17-2015 01:44 PM

Take a look at and handle some Kahr's. I carry a Kahr MK 40 most f the time. small enough to carry inter a T-shirt or in your pocket and over built.

jdeardor 11-18-2015 08:16 AM

I have the original LC9 and love it. I also have an XDSC9 and TCP 380.
The LC9 feels great in the hand. I actually like the trigger pull. I carry it in a neoprene blackhawk IWB and it feels great. I also have a crossbreed supertuck for it and it feels great in that too. I can wear it with sport shorts, cargos, jeans, dress pants ect.. and forget it's there.

The TCP is for mainly when wearing sport shorts as it's so light and a point and shoot gun. I use the same neoprene holster for it. It also goes in the pocket with no problems, long trigger pull like the LC9. The LC9 will go in the pocket but I find it just a tad too heavy, not by much so it's doable and many people do.

The SC is double stack so don't wear it much, but when I do it's with a crossbreed supertuck and a stiff belt, then it's not too bad but have to be wearing baggier pants/shorts due to the size.

If I had to buy again the LC9 would be my first again. I can't say enough good about it. A friend bought one at the same time and feels the same way. We shoot lots of different pistols and that one just fits. Go to a store and hold a LOT of them, that will let you know what's for you and what's not. A glock, NOT for me.

CalHunter 11-18-2015 08:32 PM

Ditto on holding a lot of pistols and seeing what feels good in your hand. It's harder to shoot a pistol well when it doesn't fit well in your hand.

If you haven't shot a compact or sub-compact pistol, you should shoot one before buying as it's not the same as a full size pistol. Whichever one you decide on, put in lots of range time, including drawing from your CCW holster, taking any safeties on and off and reloading. Learn to do it while looking at your target. What you practice a LOT on the range will eventually become what you do in real life under stress.

stalkingbear 11-19-2015 05:24 AM

Sometimes it's nice being range safety officer at my local sportsman's club ranges. I get to shoot just about all the different platforms that's out there. I've shot all of the above and while you've got to testfire & handle all of them to see which fits YOU most naturally, NOT what fits or works best for me or anybody else out there. Having said that, if it was ME, I'd choose between the Kahr CM-9/CM-40 and the Ruger LC9s (if wanted slightly bigger & cheaper. Personally my choice is the excellent tiny Kahr CM-40. It's the smallest package in pocket size sub compacts, dead reliable (all I've seen & shot), and it had the best, smoothest, lightest DAO trigger of all pocket size striker fired polymer framed semi autos. The triggers that have the glock safety style tab in the front middle of trigger usually run slightly lighter or about the same weight as the Kahr's DAO trigger. The Kahr is the most firepower you can throw in pocket (in pocket holster of course, NEVER try to carry ANY firearm in pocket without using a pocket holster, don't ask me how I know this LOL!). Also the Kahr CM line is usually found from 319-340$. That's what I like. It would be shortchanging yourself to not fully investigate all the different platforms out there!

rafsob 11-19-2015 10:48 AM

I fired all three and went with the G43. It fit my hand great and shot the best. However, I also fell in love with the SCCY!!!!! This company has all manufacturers beat, hands down.

I also like the idea of 10+1!!! Now I have a hard time trying to figure out which one I will carry that day!!

Did you know that this company covers lost or stolen guns??? They do!!!