Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How can i improve this rem 700 243? >

How can i improve this rem 700 243?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How can i improve this rem 700 243?

Old 09-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default How can i improve this rem 700 243?

Some of,you have followed my previous post re my 14 yr olds gun that she has outgrown. I was out of town and didnt know which model i had but now that i am home, i have confirmed it is a rem 700 adl synthetic black 243 youth. The barrel is 20 inches long and the trigger pull is 12 3/8 inches, reportedly 1 inch less than standard. Further, given the design of the scope which is 13 inches long and the type of mounts, the scope sits about one to 1.5 inches too far back but it is manageable.

Anyway, now that i know it is a slightly better gun than originally anticipated, im wondering what i can do to i,prove the fit. I cant really do anything about the little 20 inch barrel but does it make sense and is it cost effective to buy a new stock? How much and who sells?

What about pacmyer butt pad to increase trigger pull length by 3/4 to 1 inch.

Regarding scope, maybe ditch the 3x9/40 and go with a fixed 4x scope?

Suggestions are appreciated
Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe I had suggested earlier that you can increase the stock length with a thick recoil pad or adding spaces to the recoil pad. I didn't know it was a synthetic stock when I said to add a piece of wood to the buttstock. Why not contact Remington and see if there is a replacement stock or google to see if any other after markets are available.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not fool around with a recoil pad when there are so many full length stocks available at inexpensive prices. You do not need enhanced recoil protection in a .243 and good pads are not inexpensive. If you pick up another stock you can either sell your Youth stock or keep it as a spare for a time you need another shorter LOP stock.

Midway has new Remington replacement stocks for about $90, and Hogue stocks for about $130. Almost all of the big outdoor sports (Cabelas. Bass Pro, etc.) retailers carry replacement stocks for a 700. Just make sure that you are looking at a short action ADL stock for a 700. Replacement parts and upgrade parts for a 700 are very easy to find.

You can find one on Ebay like this one for $49:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-70...item463f5629ce

If you really want an improved stock (better than factory) there are other options in wood, laminates, and synthetic that range in price from a couple hundred dollars upwards available from several different manufacturers. There is a big new and used market for 700 stocks.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 09-07-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Very helpful, thank you. Since my gun is a 700 vs some cheaper version im trying to figure out how to use the gun vs selling. A cheap stock from ebay like the $49 option you mention is perfect. Does it matter that my stock does not have a mag detach feature. This one has a trigger hole and mag, mine doesn't have the mag. Will these work ok w a short 20 inch barrel?

QUOTE=Big Uncle;4217049]I would not fool around with a recoil pad when there are so many full length stocks available at inexpensive prices. You do not need enhanced recoil protection in a .243 and good pads are not inexpensive. If you pick up another stock you can either sell your Youth stock or keep it as a spare for a time you need another shorter LOP stock.

Midway has new Remington replacement stocks for about $90, and Hogue stocks for about $130. Almost all of the big outdoor sports (Cabelas. Bass Pro, etc.) retailers carry replacement stocks for a 700. Just make sure that you are looking at a short action ADL stock for a 700. Replacement parts and upgrade parts for a 700 are very easy to find.

You can find one on Ebay like this one for $49:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-70...item463f5629ce

If you really want an improved stock (better than factory) there are other options in wood, laminates, and synthetic that range in price from a couple hundred dollars upwards available from several different manufacturers. There is a big new and used market for 700 stocks.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

You can get a new stock straight from Remington. Are like other say from basspro or cabelas. If you want something in wood and a little nice look at boyds Replacement stocks. http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
Old 09-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In your shoes, this right here would be the stock I would get. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/737...ProductFinding

Pretty much a drop in for that action and barrel. May have to sand a little bit in the barrel channel to float it but Boyds does a pretty good job at a fair price.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I believe I had suggested earlier that you can increase the stock length with a thick recoil pad or adding spaces to the recoil pad. I didn't know it was a synthetic stock when I said to add a piece of wood to the buttstock. Why not contact Remington and see if there is a replacement stock or google to see if any other after markets are available.
Yes you did, thank you. Trying to be careful not to make a mistake. Rifles and related accessories is mot my area of expertise. I would have purchased the ruger american today if not for being s floor model w a gash in the barrel
Old 09-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

That 20" barrel will be fine with a full lenght stock. Have a Remington model seven youth with an 18 1/2" barrel and put it in a full lenght stock and it made a pefict mountain woods rifle. I since have put the wood youth stock back on for my newphew.bye killed his first deer with it last year at age 8. It is in 7mm/08. The synthic stock I got from cabelas was a factory Remington for around $100. Also have a body's thumbwhole on a Remington mountain rifle also in 7mm/08 and with little fitting it drooped right in. You need to make sure the new stock is for an adl short action with blind mag.

Last edited by Bbj270; 09-09-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
That 20" barrel will begins with a full lenght stock. .
What are you saying here?
Old 09-08-2015, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also just go with the full size stock. They are readily available and relatively inexpensive. Most likely you could sell the youth stock to recoup some $ if you wanted. Also, if you wanted to turn it into a floorplate model (Like BDL, CDL, etc) you can buy the parts. Nothing wrong with the ADL setup, but some folks like the floorplate. You would just need a stock that works.

Regarding the scope, personally I feel like a 3-9x40 is a great scope for most hunting rifles. Not sure what brand it is, or why it sits so far back... maybe you could post a pic?
My sons .243 has a 2-7x33 leupold. Perfect fit on that rifle.

Nothing wrong with an ADL, they are really nice, no frills rifles. My dad's .270 will shoot .5 moa with factory ammo and a trigger job only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.