Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How can i improve this rem 700 243? >

How can i improve this rem 700 243?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How can i improve this rem 700 243?

Old 09-08-2015, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tealboy
Very helpful, thank you. Since my gun is a 700 vs some cheaper version im trying to figure out how to use the gun vs selling. A cheap stock from ebay like the $49 option you mention is perfect. Does it matter that my stock does not have a mag detach feature. This one has a trigger hole and mag, mine doesn't have the mag. Will these work ok w a short 20 inch barrel?
The ADL model has no cut-out for either a floor plate or a detachable box magazine (DBM). The BDL, CDL and some other models have a cut-out in the stock for a floor plate so that you can unload the magazine from the bottom. With the ADL model you load and unload from the top of the action and does not need a cut-out in the stock. An ADL stock has a hole for the trigger only. I did not notice that this Ebay stock had the magazine cut-out until you pointed it out. I would pass on this one but there are several others.

Any of these should work with a 20" barrel as the stock fore end is somewhere around 10".

The 700 action is very versatile. You can change the barrel, stock, trigger, convert it to a floor plate magazine (like the BDL), etc. I do not know any other action that has as many easy to get options. For the cost of a barrel you can change to other cartridges in the same family that are based on the .308 case (243, 260, 7-08, 308, etc.) if the need ever arises.

To convert an ADL to a BDL requires just a few parts. To show how simple this is here is a link to an ADL to BDL conversion kit:
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...s-prod340.aspx

Last edited by Big Uncle; 09-08-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are take-off ADL synthetic full size stocks all over the place to be had. (Take-off meaning someone "took it off" of a rifle to put on a different stock). I have a couple of them myself - you buy a cheap rifle with a good action, have it worked over, drop it into a new stock...

If you're interested in converting to a BDL, then great. If not, you can pick up someone else's dust-collecting take off ADL stock for cheap.

Midway and brownells have aftermarket stocks on the shelf as well, and Boyd's does a nice laminate stock for relatively cheap. With shipping and custom wood color, I had $120 to my door into a Boyd's stock for this rifle:

It's a 243win Remington 700 ADL, straight out of Walmart. The take-off stock is in my 2yr old son's toybox, he "hunts" around the backyard and "shoots" everything on the walls of my workshop with it.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

[G]iven the design of the scope which is 13 inches long and the type of mounts, the scope sits about one to 1.5 inches too far back but it is manageable.

Regarding scope, maybe ditch the 3x9/40 and go with a fixed 4x scope?
I wouldn't get rid of a 3-9x40mm to get a 4x scope, especially for a kid. 3x vs. 4x doesn't sound like much difference, but when you compare the FOV's, there's a lot more visible in the 3x. It's also common that 4x fixies are smaller objectives instead of 40mm, which further robs you of FOV.

And then, of course, at the high end, the 3-9x zoomed in to 9x will have a marked advantage over the 4x fixie.

I'd stay with a variable 3-9x40mm, either keep the one you have, or get a new of the same zoom.

You mention that it's about 1.5" too far back - that's not a scope problem, that's a mount problem. Ditch the 2pc bases that came with the rifle and get a 1pc pic rail bridge and you'll be able to move the scope forward to set the proper eye relief.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for all the terrific input. I am trying to find a stock on eBay. Seem to be a few around 25$ plus shipping just need to be careful to find a blind mag as most are not clear on this point Ideally j would find a longer trigger pull than a mere 13 3/8 which is only 1 inch longer than my current setup but for some reason rem has a short pull or so it seems to me.

I may just keep this gun for my daughter once I replace the stock with one that fits her better bs this very small youth. My barrel is really short at 20 inches but I guess that won't hurt anything? ? Might look a little odd on a full size stick though
Old 09-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

My barrel is really short at 20 inches but I guess that won't hurt anything? ? Might look a little odd on a full size stick though
There are a surprisingly large number of 20" barreled rifles flying around these days. Guys want shorter handling and lighter weights, so there are a lot of really popular short barrel models out there right now. Moral of the story, you're not losing a lot. For a 243win, you're talking about around 10% loss in speed for a 20" vs. a 24". A long 243win will cleanly kill deer at 600yrds or more, a 20" barreled version will still do the same, but I figure that your daughter probably isn't worried about killing deer at that range.

You're only talking about 1" of stock, and not much difference in the forend length, so the overall appearance won't be significantly different - a little stubby, but not awkward.

If you're really concerned about the lack of velocity, or the stubby appearance, you can rebarrel it pretty cheaply also. If you look around, you should also be able to find a take-off remington 700 barrel for about $75. Give or take $100 to have it installed by a smith for headspace. Not a bad deal, get about $200 into "upsizing" the rifle, then you could always convert it back when she gets old enough to pass it down to her kids.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 09-09-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:49 AM
Spike

Before making a decision, at least check this out:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ Click the window on the left
about "How to Select a Gun Stock" and go from there.

I have a bunch of their stocks and have been very pleased overall.
The base prices of their stocks is less than $100, and you can go
from there to custom for length of pull as well as adding quality
recoil pads.

Here is just one example of one of their models with my favorite
color combo:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produc.../3u1820818110_

I'm fairly particular with stock fitting perfectly, so I pillar and bed
all my stocks.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice looking. Love that combo
Old 09-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't find a take-off ADL SA stock on eBay soon, and don't want to go with a Boyd's stock, shoot me a PM, I might part with one.

Boyd's stocks are great quality options for the price, and your daughter might enjoy picking out the color to make it uniquely hers. The purple I pictured previously is a Boyd's, I have 5 others with Boyd's stocks in the safe, they're quality stocks.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

The thing to know about Boyds stocks is they are heavy. I have several and they do increase rifle weight.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bpd1982
The thing to know about Boyds stocks is they are heavy. I have several and they do increase rifle weight.
"The thing to know about LAMINATE stocks is they are heavy..."

There, fixed it for you - laminate stocks are heavy, not just a factor of boyd's stocks. Since they are laminated, however, you can drill holes in the buttstock under the buttplate and increase the inlet size in the forend to lighten them up a bit without sacrificing much if any strength.

Laminate stocks tend to be heavier than all but the heaviest of natural woods (I have a couple turkish and english walnut stocks that are heavier than laminates in the same profile). They're a BUNCH heavier than synthetic stocks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.