Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Has my kid outgrown this gun? >

Has my kid outgrown this gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Has my kid outgrown this gun?

Old 09-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Has my kid outgrown this gun?

When my daughter was 9, i bought her a rem youth 243 with. 3x9 burris signature scope for deer hunting in florida. She is now 14 and 5'6" tall, 120 lbs, just started high school. I am far from an expert but i get the impression this gun is not only too small but maybe way too small. She seems scrunched up trying to get a view and angle thru the scope. Do you think my suspicions are right based on what you know about the youth gun and my kids size?

If yes, can you recommend a replacement gun that would fit her better in 243? I would prefer to surprise her with a new gun but wonder if that is a mistake due to the importance of getting a good fit.

Last, i have been interested in a low recoil pig and coyote gun. Wanted a 223 semi auto but now thinking i could take the scope off the youth and use the factory open sights of her old 243 as my buggy, varmit, pig gun. I know it will be short for me as im 6'2" but w o a scope and for pig, coyote, wondering if it might work just fine and save me from buying another gun and having to sell the youth rem
Old 09-05-2015, 11:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can add length to the butt stock or put a thicker recoil pad on the gun if it is too short. Nothing wrong with the caliber for her.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you could always get her an adult sized rifle, maybe go to a 7mm/08 which is still an extremely mild recoiling cartridge and more than enough ompa lompa for whitetail. Then, you can take that .243 of hers and drop the barreled action into an adult stock! I'm thinking, don't quote me on this but I believe it's a possibility, that the Rem ADL stock will fit that barreled action right up. But if not, I'm sure there are stock mods out there that will allow you to upgrade that little .243.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

What model Remington is it a 700 adm youth or spa youth or model seven all of them you can get a full size stock from Remington that would droop right in. Have a youth model.seven I got a full length stock for that the barreled action drooped right in.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

The LOP of the stock may not be the problem. Have you repositioned the scope in the rings as she has grown? The scope may be too far back for her to get a good sight picture.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easy check - set the butt of the rifle in the bend of her elbow, her finger should comfortably reach the trigger - if the length of pull is too short, she'll have to bend her wrist and compact her hand/fingers to reach the trigger. On a full size rifle, to see if it's too long, then her hand won't comfortably reach the pistol grip or neck of the stock, and her finger won't reach the trigger.

Big Uncle's point about the scope positioning is also valid - front to back, as well as height above bore. As her face has grown, her eye might be getting taller, so getting under the scope might be difficult.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
What model Remington is it a 700 adm youth or spa youth or model seven all of them you can get a full size stock from Remington that would droop right in. Have a youth model.seven I got a full length stock for that the barreled action drooped right in.
This i did not know or even consider. Im not home so dont recall which model it is. The gun is black synthetic, the finish is matte which i dont love bc it rusts more easily with the slightly textured barrel. It came with factory sights and the overall length is fairly short as the barrel is not a regular full length. Not sure ifmthat helps determine which one i have.

I still think i want to get her a new one vs salvaging this gun but, depending on cost of drop in adult stock, maybe i do it anyway bc it is just too small
Old 09-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the 770 youth model with the 20 inch barrel. And them puppies are little. Yep you can re-stock that one with several options out there for a drop in. BigUncle's and NoMercy's suggestions and instruction are spot on. Been through what you are going through several times (5 kids and 3 grandkids and counting) and they are ALWAYS getting their grubby hands onto my collection! Get a nice rifle all worked up with loads, cuttin one holes at 100 yards, one of the kids say's "oh that's a purdy rifle", damned if that aint the last I see of the thing! My oldest daughter has her eye on my AR10 7mm/08 for when I get my new AR 10 .338fed in and worked up. Yet another rifle gone to the wind
Old 09-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Looking at browning ab3 and a few rem 243, any suggestions. Im buying a new 243 but have no idea which brand or model to get for her. Would prefer to pay 550$ or less then add my own scope. Suggestions?
Old 09-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

The ruger American is a nice rifle for the price have a 308 and and rimfire in 22 magnum. Real nice shooting rifles. If she is likes the Remington why not get her one that is a full lenght stock model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.