Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Why I do not like AR rifles >

Why I do not like AR rifles

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why I do not like AR rifles

Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why I do not like AR rifles

First I must say that I fully support anyone's rights to own and use any legal firearm - including AR rifles.

I know that the AR is simply a gas operated semi-auto rifle not really different from most other sporting semi-autos, but still I do not really care for them. Many years ago I carried a similar looking rifle with a triangular fore end. Every time I see an AR I can not help getting a little twinge.

It does not help that I often see them at the range being used by the tactical crowd of wannabe dudes showing each other how fast they can dump a magazine somewhere down range.

I also see them in the hands of sportsmen. Good folks. That is great and I wish them well, but I will never touch one.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 11-26-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's really fair, and it's honest of you to admit why you don't like AR's.

I come from a Navy family, so I've had interesting discussions about why the generation of uncles that carried M16's won't own one today (same reason as yourself), whereas the older 2 generations that carried Garands and Carbines in Europe are so proud of their "bring home rifles". Since we're Navy, but I can't swim, I tried to sign up with USMC when I was 18, but I got rejected for combat service due to my knee surgeries - which drove me to go to college instead. I regret not having served, but having that family experience has given me an "outside looking in" perspective on why my great uncles and great great uncles were praised of their service, and so many of the younger generations were hurt by it - which follows in the same stroke as your disposition towards the AR action.

I can relate, as well, that I have a distaste for being lumped in with the "magpul ninja" crowd just because I'm a relatively young guy that runs a lot of AR's. Outside of test firing rifle's I've built or a birthday "shoot-schitt party," I can't remember the last time I've done a mag-dump. I did a lot of 3gun competition in college and shortly thereafter, but I never thought it made me a soldier - it just made me good at competitive 3gun. AR's have a huge advantage for my style of coyote hunting, and I enjoy shooting the platform recreationally - it doesn't make me Rambo, nor do I pretend it does.

To steal a line from the specialty pistol master Ernie Bishop - I'm "untactical".
Old 08-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed. It's almost like whether you prefer wood, laminate or some other kind of synthetic stock on a rifle. Each has advantages but in the end, it's really what you prefer. I own AR rifles (mainly for work) but so far seem to prefer bolt or semi-auto rifles for hunting. I can definitely see where an AR platform would work well for multiple coyotes or follow up shots on the run.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's an almost impossible platform to beat for Hog elimination as well! A good accurate AR in the proper cartridge is one mean rifle to a sounder!
Old 08-11-2015, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Uncle - each to their own, of course.

It took me a long time before I purchased one, and the only reason I do is to shoot coyotes (multiple dogs on one stand).

I sometime feel like 3gun would be fun, but I haven't succumbed yet !

I guess I still like hunting more............................

Although I never though I would enjoy shooting paper, but I do now ?!?!

Then again, I also enjoy shooting clays.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
First I must say that I fully support anyone's rights to own and use any legal firearm - including AR rifles.

I know that the AR is simply a gas operated semi-auto rifle not really different from most other sporting semi-autos, but still I do not really care for them. Many years ago I carried a similar looking rifle with a triangular fore end during some really bad days. Every time I see an AR I can not help getting a little twinge.

It does not help that I often see them at the range being used by the tactical crowd of wannabe dudes showing each other how fast they can dump a magazine somewhere down range.

I also see them in the hands of sportsmen. Good folks. That is great and I wish them well, but I will never touch one.
I totally agree! My last AR was a super accurate semi-custom... but I grew tired of it and ended up trading it towards my dream rifle... a Dakota 10. Couldn't be happier.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

As a reloader I couldn't stand the Winchester Model 100 I had. Never did get used to looking for the cases in the grass snow and other crap.
I was carrying a M 14 till almost my last days in country.

If you want one and have the money I say go for it.

Al
Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Coyote hunting is the big reason I got into AR's. Having 3 coyotes come into a stand and laying all 3 out in short order is probably one of the biggest hunting thrills I can remember. I stayed with AR's because I quickly learned that it is one of the most accurate semi-automatic platforms available and that it is easily adaptable to fit a pretty wide variety of hunting styles and types of game.

I also recognize that not everyone shares the love I have for the platform. Some prefer the feel of checkered walnut and the smooth operation of a finely crafted bolt as it locks a new cartridge into the chamber. There definitely isn't as much "heart and soul" in a lump of plastic and aluminum. For others, that "made by mattel" look just brings back bad memories. All of these are things I understand and can, relatively speaking, relate to. Just like any other style of rifle - some will love it, some will hate it, and some will look at it and just go "meh."

For what its worth, those tacticool commando wannabes drive me up the wall. I'd love to knock some sense into 'em, but they don't make bricks hard enough for that!
Old 08-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cjclemens
I'd love to knock some sense into 'em, but they don't make bricks hard enough for that!
When you get to my age you will learn how to use a hammer for that
Old 08-11-2015, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a good friend, that was shot in the Korean war and when i showed him my new SKS and cycled it he flinched and told me to take it away. I don't think they were used much in that war but he said it was like the gun that shot him. Hey bad memories are real.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.