Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Why I do not like AR rifles >

Why I do not like AR rifles

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why I do not like AR rifles

Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me add that I have absolutely NO qualm about how Big Uncle feels about them. There are some that saw military service that I am dang near shocked that they would even LOOK at ANY kind of firearm again. Let alone the same type they carried. Some service Vets are affected that way. That is a personal matter and not one that reflects poorly on our hunting community. AR based platforms are merely a tool. A very serviceable and useful one for many hunting uses. But if picking one up gives you flashbacks to a horrendous period in your life then by all means don't pick one up.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by d80hunter
The Ruger ranch rifle is miniature M-14 and uses Garand style opertion. As previously said many popular firearm design had its time in service such as a Mauser style controlled round feed bolt action rifle that many hunters use.
That's what I tried to explain to him. Just because the ranch rifle doesn't have a pistol grip and comes with a cute little 5 round mag doesn't change the fact that it's still a gas-powered semiautomatic rifle...just like the AR.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cjclemens
That's what I tried to explain to him. Just because the ranch rifle doesn't have a pistol grip and comes with a cute little 5 round mag doesn't change the fact that it's still a gas-powered semiautomatic rifle...just like the AR.
A semi- automatic rifle, PERIOD !

NOT an assault rifle !!!

AR = "Armalite" the company who popularized the platform for the civilian market.

Last edited by Sheridan; 08-17-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Two shots in two seconds in the heart area --- bullet holes touching each other --- Or six shots in two seconds, in a combat effective zone over the human torso --- Both are effective...but one is obviously much more efficient."

Quote: Travis Haley
Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Erno86
"Two shots in two seconds in the heart area --- bullet holes touching each other --- Or six shots in two seconds, in a combat effective zone over the human torso --- Both are effective...but one is obviously much more efficient."

Quote: Travis Haley
Not sure I get it. Are you trying to say the AR is less accurate than something else?
Old 08-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Travis Haley was referring to select fire full auto M16 verses the M1 Garand semi. Had he had an AR15 semi or even an M16 on semi he may have changed his tune a bit. He, like me, was not a fan of "spray and pray" full auto offensive.