Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Should it go or should it stay?? >

Should it go or should it stay??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should it go or should it stay??

Old 06-27-2015, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Women and shiny objects
Old 06-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

screw the barrel off, throw away the stock and build you a good rifle
RR
Old 06-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
RR
There's an idea ........................

Leave it to RR.

Now you get to pick everything you want on it !!!.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

All good ideas but I'd go the trade or sale since the rifle is NIB. Just curious: If you shot the rifle and it rocked your world, er, uh, you found it to be accurate, would you keep it?
On second thought, yeah, I would forgo the scope/ mounting and shooting and try to get something else in trade or get the return on my money.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
All good ideas but I'd go the trade or sale since the rifle is NIB. Just curious: If you shot the rifle and it rocked your world, er, uh, you found it to be accurate, would you keep it?
On second thought, yeah, I would forgo the scope/ mounting and shooting and try to get something else in trade or get the return on my money.
Yeah. New in box would be a kind of pricey way to start a build. But a build is probably a good way to go if you want a really good rifle. Sell that one and look around for a good action and go from there. I have a few tack drivers built off of Mauser and Winchester actions that were under $1500 total. Catching some things on sale you could easily build a fine hunting rifle for $1000. The key is finding a good action to start with. I've found several really good Mauser actions for less than 50 bucks (admittedly the guy's weren't that bright) a good Shilen barrel will be between $200 and $500 depending on Match grade or Select match grade as well as profile. Too many stock makers out there to even think about a list but your average good stock will run in the neighborhood of 250 or so and higher depending on whether or not you want a super duper high end super sporty "I'm gonna show this sucker off" type. And then whatever your gunsmith charges you to put it all together for you (I build my own now except my AR's). Getting something custom built has many advantages but the MAIN advantage is that you get things built to fit YOU. Some folks, like me, are big guy's and hard to fit up to these gorilla arms so my LOP is always a question. Just something for you to think about.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
RR
That did cross my mind, even got a smith not too far from me that likes building on Howa actions. But I think I'm going send it on its way.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

could you imagine what you could do with a 22/6mm AI built on that action?
just wondering
RR
Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welllllllllll..., after fondling this gun a bit after I posted this thread, ive decided to keep it. Im going to put a luepold FXII 6X36 on it & run some factory fodder thru it and see how it goes.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well 5+ months since my original post and this gun still sits in the safe........unfired,unscoped. Had the opportunity to use a hunting pards Vanguard in 7MM RM. It shoots fine not bad in the recoil dept.but the gun is heavy,very heavy. Not the gun to do much walking with.
Going to hit a few gunshops over the weekend and see what I can trade it in on.
Any suggestions on what I should look at for a gun all up around the 8LB mark? Scopes going to be a Weaver Classic K or Leupold FXII, both around an advertised 10oz's.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you trade it at a shop, just be ready to get screwed on what they will offer for it even though it's NIB!!!