Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Guns and self defense >

Guns and self defense

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Guns and self defense

Old 06-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Spike

Default Guns and self defense

Im watching this prison doc and I see this guy locked up for manslaughter, killed someone he claimed was self defense. I start asking myself, what is the purpose of firearms? Self defense strictly in the home ? This guy got 15 years for voluntary manslaughter, so if you're OCing and your life is in danger what are you supposed to do
Old 06-11-2015, 01:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

use common sense, make the right split second decisions. there are no recalls on rounds sent downrange.
RR
Old 06-11-2015, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Build a safe room get in it and call 9 1 1. Also helps to get the rep of the crankiest SOB in the county. Put no Trespassing signs at the end of your driveway. stick a shot gun barrel under the nose of every door to door sales person who can't read and also those do gooder church people. Word will get out.

Al
Old 06-11-2015, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

To kill a person under a claim of self defense you must be able to show you had a reasonable belief that you were in eminent danger of death or serious bodily injury. Just as an example, if the person had a club or a knife and they were 50 yards away from you and you shot them, you would have a problem, they have to be close enough (opportunity) that it would be reasonable to believe you had to shoot right now or die yourself. Killing in self defense is still commiting a homicide, you are going to have to show it was a justifiable homicide. Nothing to be taken lightly, there are no do overs when you kill someone.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting outside of your home is always a messy proposition. In some states, even INSIDE your home you can still land in jail. Whats even messier is the monetary side of things. Many times, people that have defended themselves against intruders have been sued by the family of the intruder and lost due to ignorance of the jury. The legal system of this country is in serious need of an upgrade to put it mildly. You know it's bad when you have to shoot an ARMED intruder in your home and the family of that intruder gets paid for it! And lord help you if that intruder actually survives! There have been many cases where the person that PROVED to a criminal court they were shooting in self defense that has had to PAY for hospital bills and damages to the intruder!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Shooting outside of your home is always a messy proposition. In some states, even INSIDE your home you can still land in jail. Whats even messier is the monetary side of things. Many times, people that have defended themselves against intruders have been sued by the family of the intruder and lost due to ignorance of the jury. The legal system of this country is in serious need of an upgrade to put it mildly. You know it's bad when you have to shoot an ARMED intruder in your home and the family of that intruder gets paid for it! And lord help you if that intruder actually survives! There have been many cases where the person that PROVED to a criminal court they were shooting in self defense that has had to PAY for hospital bills and damages to the intruder!
Amen to that!!! There should be one law throughout the country and that is if anyone breaks into your home they are fair game for anything you do and there is no civil alternative for the perpetrator or his relatives to turn to like happens many times now in some areas. Just don't shoot the guy in the back and IMHO you should be in the clear if he's inside your home!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

PA recently passed a Castle doctrin self defense law that elininates the duty to retreat but inside and outside your home. In the past in PA the law required you to retreat if outside your home if confronted by someone threatning your life, no more. In addition, the law also says regarding civil suits against someone who defended themselves with lethal force for the killing or wounding an assailant that if the assailant or someone suing on his behalf if deceased, is unsuccessful in their law suit they must pay the costs of the lawsuit to the person who defended themselves including lawyers, expert wittnesses ect. It doesn't prevent you from being sued for using lethal force, but if you win the suit, it will not destroy you financially like it did in the past.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-11-2015 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
PA recently passed a Castle doctring self defense law that elininates the duty to retreat but inside and outside your home. In the past in PA the law required you to retreat if outside your home if confronted by someone threatning your life, no more. In addition, the law also says regarding civil suits against someone who defended themselves with lethal force for the killing or wounding an assailant that if the assailant or someone suing on his behalf if deceased, is unsuccessful in their law suit they must pay the costs of the lawsuit to the person who defended themselves including lawyers, expert wittnesses ect. It doesn't prevent you from being sued for using lethal force, but if you win the suit, it will not destroy you financially like it did in the past.
Surprisingly, Illinois has a similar Castle Doctrine law. As far as the civil suit side, I'm not sure but I do believe there is good protection there as well. I'll do a bit of research and post results. I do know that you are open to liability suits if it is a case OUTSIDE of your home and you used your LEGAL concealed carry weapon. Just not sure about the protection for inside a home. For this state being so "anti gun" it is VERY surprising to see that it has a good Castle Doctrine without all that "you must retreat" BS.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I can say is avoid it if at all possible.

If not, make sure that there is only one person's side of the story (yours), when you show up in court !!!

" I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 "
Old 06-15-2015, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Amen Sheriden. I live in Fl. and we have "Stand Your Ground" which basically says anywhere you have the reasonable expectation of Safety you don't have to retreat.
My view has always been that if you put me in a position to defend myself or family I will deal with the legal ramifications afterwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.