HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Savage 220f (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/399258-savage-220f.html)

Parrot Head 05-12-2015 02:49 AM

Savage 220f

I have the Savage 220f in 20g. I had issues when I first bought it with not all shell going off. Firing pin hit shell but made just a little dent. Sent bolt off and everything was great. Last season gun always went off first shot. But on follow up shots I got a lot of clicks. Am I not pulling bolt back hard enough or could the bolt not be all the way down on the next shot. It is always when I jack a shell in from magazine???? Shooting Remington accutip.

Thanks

Sheridan 05-12-2015 08:09 AM

Sent it back - not worth taking the chance on a buck of a lifetime.

Savage will stand behind their product !!!

super_hunt54 05-12-2015 10:29 AM

The bolt on a Savage 220f is forward cam operated. What that means is when you go forward, right up about to where you rotate the bolt down, the cam sets the firing pin back. It doesn't matter how "hard" you pull on the bolt. If you got it back far enough for the extraction/loading then you were pulling as hard as needed. It sounds to me like you have gotten a rare problem with a Savage. Weak firing pin spring or for some reason on a reload the timing is out and the forward cocking cam is not set in time. It doesn't really make sense to me that it's only on followup shots. Seems it would be all the time. But such is the way with anything mechanical. Murphy's Law and such.

BOWHUNTERCOP 05-13-2015 03:52 PM

I've had mine for nearly 6 years without issues....My friend has one for three years, this past deer season he pulled the trigger on a buck, nothing worked the bolt and fired the second round without issue. Later that day he took the shell that didn't fire, it had a dent in the primer and he put it in another 20ga (pump) and it went off with no problem. I hear stories from the firing pin to the ammo itself. It was also Remington Accutip 3", which I use as well. That bolt needs to be worked, not babied

Sheridan 05-13-2015 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP (Post 4197755)
I've had mine for nearly 6 years without issues....My friend has one for three years, this past deer season he pulled the trigger on a buck, nothing worked the bolt and fired the second round without issue. Later that day he took the shell that didn't fire, it had a dent in the primer and he put it in another 20ga (pump) and it went off with no problem. I hear stories from the firing pin to the ammo itself. It was also Remington Accutip 3", which I use as well. That bolt needs to be worked, not babied

So he didn't "rack" the action hard enough ??

The 20 gauge didn't have a problem firing it !!!

Firing pin spring issue, seems to me ................... :confused0024:

super_hunt54 05-13-2015 09:44 PM

After thinking on it, it's got to be one of 2 things. Weak pin spring, or the pin is set back to far. Accues have a fairly hard primer in them I believe so a firm "strike" is needed. Still can't figure why it would not malfunction on first shot though. Just makes no sense whatsoever.

BHC, again, it makes no difference at all how "hard" you work the bolt as it's a forward cam engagement not a rear.

Parrot Head 05-14-2015 03:12 AM

I have heard that if the bolt is not all the way down or gets bumped up a little this will happen. I am taking it to a gunsmith just for my piece of mind. I am also shooting the 3 inch accutip. Just ordered 10 boxes before they disappear like they do every year.

PigBrick 05-14-2015 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Parrot Head (Post 4197524)
I have the Savage 220f in 20g. I had issues when I first bought it with not all shell going off. Firing pin hit shell but made just a little dent. Sent bolt off and everything was great. Last season gun always went off first shot. But on follow up shots I got a lot of clicks. Am I not pulling bolt back hard enough or could the bolt not be all the way down on the next shot. It is always when I jack a shell in from magazine???? Shooting Remington accutip.

Thanks

Two things to check that are simple:

1: Check your front scope base screws. Sometimes if a screw is too long it will interfere with the lugs locking into the recess. It will be a fairly minute amount, but is enough to keep the firing pin from striking completely. I've seen trash in the lug recess cause this as well.

2: loosen your front action screw. CHeck to see if it is a bit too long as well.