Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Can a classical musician seriously use rifles? >

Can a classical musician seriously use rifles?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can a classical musician seriously use rifles?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Nahhh, off topic would be us talking about Italian wine (delicious!!!).

Much better than french wine.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Spike

Leonardo "LHunt", I am responding to your post because my two favorite, life-long hobbies, are guitar and hunting large NA game (hogs, deer, elk) along with other smaller game including turkey, quail, and dove. I also shoot skeet and sporting clays.

I have participated in both "hobbies" for over 50 years now (I'm 63 years old) and I don't know that I could pick which hobby I enjoy the most. I play finger-style guitar and don't read music so, I can only play what I hear (with practice). I wear ear protection at the range and, while shooting skeet and sporting clays. While hunting, I cannot "plug" my hearing because hearing while hunting, is just as important as hearing, while playing guitar. I still enjoy both "hobbies" and believe I will be able to continue to do so for several (hopefully many) hears to come. Your hobbies are compatible….enjoy both.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Use ear protection. When at the shooting range I use ear plugs and then ear protection over the ear plugs. You can use ear protection while hunting. I have shot many deer and three elk. I saw them but didn't hear them, thus blocking sounds when hunting isn't much of a disadvantage hunting.

Since you are still undecided about taking up hunting, I recommend that you read Jose Ortega y Gasset's "Meditations on Hunting." Gasset was a Spanish philosopher during the first half of the twentieth century. He does an outstanding job describing the essence and mystery of hunting, in my opinion.

Last edited by Alsatian; 05-08-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

My dog wouldn't take this stuff serious. Go sit down and tie some dry flies boys. Make good use of your time.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Spike

Some areas in Europe actually require the use of a suppressor, notably some parts of France, lest the noise disturb some.
Back to the question,"Can a classical musician seriously use rifles?" I would give an enthusiastic "yes!" Both rifle shooting and musical performance require lots of self discipline and commitment to practice. In addition both are largely a matter of careful muscle -memory; small muscles in particular. Breath control and timing are also inherent in both. That said, protect those ears! they are a one-way downhill trip. (with due apology to Beethoven) So ear plugs and/or muffs are mandatory.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I don;t know what Bullcamp is throwing around, well yes I do because it starts like Bull camp and ends with something else. My ears hiss 24/7 from loud noises, mainly shooting when I was young withour ear protection. I know a bunch of people my age with the sam problem as well as needing hearing aids. There is nothing funny about screwing up your ears. For the guy who can't wear hearing protection because his ears are as necessary as his eyes for hunting, he is right, however one day he may not be able to hear nearly as well. There is protection that allows you to hear normally or even better than normally and then shuts out the noise of a gunshot to a safe evel.