Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality >

Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality

Old 07-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I'll 2nd that. Proven bullet, proven cartridge, perfect expansion and well within range: just don't add up.
Seems like a lot of phonies are attracted to this site. Start a thread to generate a little personal excitement, never to be heard from again.
Chit happens! I trailed a big whitetail doe for 200 yards that a guy had hit with a 12 gauge slug before finding her. When we gutted her out the heart was split right in half and she still went that far. That, to me, puts some credence in the theory that Sheridan mentioned that they have 30 seconds worth of oxygen in their system, as I doubt that it would have taken her that long to go that far.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of what I said was a little overboard but some also had merit. What I wonder is was the shot really taken at 200 yards. The 140 gr. 7mm has a good sectional density and the bullet was monolithic on top of that. If the shot really was taken from that distance, into ribs no less, the retained velocity and density should have carried the bullets through. Lesser 7mm's w/a 140 gr.barnes bullet could penetrate both shoulders and exit from that quoted range. We're supposed to believe that that load which would be effective on elk under similar circumstances had trouble penetrating a deer? 3 of them no less. Again, it don't add up. If the animal was way out of range and hit too far back, I could understand a slow death. But with those bullets and that cartridge, complete penetration through both ribs at much greater range is likely.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-03-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's something to ponder when you have the time and are bored. I don't know why, but every single time I've shot a animal with a bow, regardless of size, as long as shot placement is spot on, they almost always go down within 10 seconds (within sight), whereas I've seen deer shot with high power rifle either drop in their tracks, but if they do run, they can run up to 300 yards with heart/lungs absolutely pulverized. It's been close to 30 years since I had a deer to run out of sight with complete arrow pass-through.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
.......... It's been close to 30 years since I had a deer to run out of sight with complete arrow pass-through.
Originally Posted by Game Stalker
......... If the animal was way out of range and hit too far back, I could understand a slow death. But with those bullets and that cartridge, complete penetration through both ribs at much greater range is likely.
Those blades do cause much trauma. I realize all animals don't drop in their tracks regardless or rifle used-especially w/bad hits. I take more notice to the fact that a world class cartridge combo for that species within its working range failed to completely penetrate through tissue that is less than a challenge the bullet is capable of, multiple times. That makes me question the rest of the details. That's my last take on the subject. Cheers!

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-04-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You're absolutely right Game Stalker! I was just posting where I had reviewed my notes/journals on results from hits. I got curious after seeing that post so I thought I'd look my results up. I guess it is going a bit overboard but I enjoy having a database where I write all things down and have learned a TON about deer/other game animals behaviour and reactions from them. This way I have compiled a database just like I do the same way when reloading/handloading on loads, etc.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Stalking,

Here's something to ponder - Adenine allows humans to do things never thought possible !

So when a animal gets hit with a broad head, they don't know what just happened................

When they hear a shotgun/rifle blast, adrenaline kicks in.

Not a scientific study, just one man's opinion.

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-05-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

That must be it. I've had a few actually flinch real good with a complete pass through with scary sharp broadhead, and then go right back to eating, only to start wobbling and fall over a few seconds later. An alert deer does seem to go further than 1 not alarmed. I've learned to read body language before shooting. I've noticed something else too-am I the only that's firmly convinced that a deer that was scared/excited don't taste as good as 1 that wasn't run hard? That's 1 reason I'd never shoot 1 that was ran from beaters on a drive or chased by dogs.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 07-05-2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2015, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Stalking,

Here's something to ponder - Adenine allows human's to to things never thought possible !

So when a animal gets hit with a broad head, they don't know what just happened................

When they hear a shotgun/rifle blast, adrenaline kicks in.

Not a scientific study, just one man's opinion.

A hunting friend of mine use to drive tractor trailors for Food Lion, delivering to their stores from their warehouse. His next stop was a distance away, so he gave me a call about our weekend hunt plans. He told me to hold on for a moment, explaining that there was a deer in the median running next to the truck. Silence for a few moments. Then he said the deer was still beside his rig. I asked how fast he was going. 55 mph was the reply. All total, the deer stayed bounding even with him for about 15 seconds before realizing it wouldn't outrun the truck. Knowing the individual, I'm certain he wasn't BS'n me.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-05-2015 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

On another occasion we were leaving a scouting session on one of the WMA's we hunt. Across from the entrance sits a family home with a yard easily the width of 60 yards wide. The property has barbed wire fencing on both sides. It was around 4:00 p.m. as we were leaving. A buck had been spooked by something as it came from the left of the property and jumped the 5 ft. high fence. I only counted 3 bounds the deer made from corner to corner and one of those bounds was the landing from the jumping of the fence. If there was a fourth bound I didn't notice it: The deer crossed the property so fast we both looked at each other as if we wondered did we really see what we knew we saw.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Chit happens! I trailed a big whitetail doe for 200 yards that a guy had hit with a 12 gauge slug before finding her. When we gutted her out the heart was split right in half and she still went that far..........
I hear you, Top!
I was hunting an area w/2 other friends a number of years ago. One of them shot a doe and was having trouble tracking it. From the direction of the shot, I figured one our party had done the shooting. I shortly saw him and went over getting the story. Long story short, the 3 of us tracked the deer to an opening. The distance from the shot was roughly 150 yds. The doe had left very little blood trail but in that distance we found about 6 different piles in various sizes, some so big you'd wonder how she ever made it that far or how any lung could be left in her. Altogether, it took only 15 minutes to find where she fell. We didn't recover her. Somebody saw her fall and took her before we got there. Just one reason I don't like buckshot. But that's another story.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 07-05-2015 at 02:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.