Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality >

Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Worried About My 7 mm Mag Lethality

Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any round that is a complete pass through is still carrying a lot of wasted energy. A bullet that goes through the body and stops at the hide on the opposite side as expended all of its energy inside the animal. Weight and speed are what give you energy, switch to a heavier bullet for more energy for more shock on impact. I have only had one deer that I could recover a bullet and it was a 150 grn .308 that was a brisket shot just off center, the deer went down and stayed down on impact and the bullet was found just inside the hide on a hind quarter. That bullet gave everything it had and finding the exepended round sure didn't bother me. Something sounds off with 4 rounds in the boiler room and a deer continueing to show no reaction. Perhaps under loaded at the factory.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Spike

@buffybr Thank you.

This is pretty close to my hand load. I just get them cheaper by reloading my own.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

I would say shoot a few more critters and report back on the results. I have shot deer, elk, moose and antelope with Barnes bullets with no complaints. I have also found some animals just do not know when they are dead and should fall down.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bpd1982
I would say shoot a few more critters and report back on the results. I have shot deer, elk, moose and antelope with Barnes bullets with no complaints. I have also found some animals just do not know when they are dead and should fall down.
if your bullet does its job, they don't need to know, they fall over dead!! barnes TTSX are decent bullets if your rifle likes them, if you are shooting game where you need maximum penetration, but they are not needed on light skinned game in the smaller calibers (what I mean by smaller is under .338)
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 05-03-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bullet selection is very important. Controlled expansion in terminal ballistics is a standard I always consider when making decisions on ammo. It makes a difference on efficiently killing game.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Bullet selection is very important. Controlled expansion in terminal ballistics is a standard I always consider when making decisions on ammo. It makes a difference on efficiently killing game.
So what is your choice?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good thing we got these "new" bullets - now we can kill stuff !?!?
Old 05-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Good thing we got these "new" bullets - now we can kill stuff !?!?
Aint it though! I find it plumb impossible to believe them old cup and core bullet thingamabobs dang near wiped out the whitetail population! And lawdy have mercy how did they ever dang near wipe out the Bison population before copper jackets! Just plain old lead bullets!

I'll be the first to admit, I like my bonded and interlocked bullets (Big Hornady Interlocked and Interbond fan) but there is such a thing as taking things just a little too far.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a big fan of Hornady Interlock bullets also. They have performed perfectly for me over the past 25+yrs in my .280 (which is 7mm). I prefer the 139gr. If I shot a 7mag for Mule Deer, I'd probably use the 154gr.

Deer are thin skinned animals, I personally don't see the need for a Barnes type bullet to make a quick clean kill, even at a distance.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Triple Se7en
So what is your choice?
Why ask? Did that sound noobish?

If I see lack of penetration due to over expansion or fragmentation, I toss out that bullet. I gutted the last coyote I shot with an Interlock to investigate the wound channel. Hornady XTP for muzzleoader and revolvers/pistol carbines. Always heavy for caliber weights. For rifle old fashion Boat Tail Interlocks, medium bullet weights. Not a fan of many "NEW" designs or light for caliber bullets. Been doing this for 23 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.