Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage 212/Parition Gold grouping >

Savage 212/Parition Gold grouping

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 212/Parition Gold grouping

Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Spike

Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you had a flier on #3, otherwise nothing wrong with that group.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll say it again, stay with those accutips! That's a damn fine group from a slugger. And danged if you didn't shoot that group on my BIRTHDAY! Your slugger obviously likes them and believe me, a whitetail WONT like them one bit! When it comes to terminal performance on whitetail sized game, most all slugs are going to kill a deer just as dead. Thats a big bullet moving pretty quick inside of 150 yards. Tons of kinetic energy. Bone smashing, lung busting, heart stopping energy. So whatever your particular firearm likes to eat the best is what you should feed it.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as your group in that picture with a scoped 212 at 50 yds. that ISN"t a good group.

First off, are you shooting off a rest?

Sight in on a day with no wind or no more then 5 mph. Also when sighting in I want to reach out and touch the game I'm hunting, and with the Savage 212 or 220 you can do just that, so you want your groups to be super tight, as in one hole at 50 yds, you want to be 3.5"/4" high above dead center, with my semi 12ga slug guns I'm 2.5" high at 50 yds. but the savage slugs are true slug guns that are built and handle like a rifle so therefore they can reach out further.

In the 12ga. there is no reason to use a 3" shell, 2-3/4" is just perfect and those Remington Accutips are great, now in the 20ga I opt for the 3" shell and in my Savage 220f I use the 3" Accutips. At 50 yds and 100 yds. I'm 4" high of dead center, at the 50 yrd mark I have one hole, at 100 yds I have a group of 3/4", at 200yds I'm dead center with a group of 1.5", now I don't ever see myself taking a shot at game at that distance but it shows what these shotguns can do, and of course these results are under perefect weather conditions, and on a solid rest.

Here is my group at 100 yds on the solid orange line above center, Savage 220f, Remington Accutip 3"
Attached Thumbnails Savage 212/Parition Gold grouping-target-220.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 12:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Uhhh Bowhuntercop, did you load the wrong pic or something? Because that looks like a shotgun pattern more than a group. Tiny pic but it doesn't look that impressive from what I can see. Maybe if you loaded a bit bigger pic for us to get a better idea. But did you look at the pic on this 2nd page of the group from accutips?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Spike

What concerns me is some of the reviews you read about the AccuTip not
performing all that well on game. Personally I'd prefer a pass thru and
from reports that's not always the case with AccuTip, but more so with the
Partition. Yes, I know it's only a whitetail deer and you can kill them
with a 22, however, that's not the discussion. I've always been a guy who
prefers more firepower than the minimum. I've seen first hand on 2 does
with AccuTip out of my 20 H&R there was no pass thru. I'd like that darn
deer bleeding out 2 holes losing blood like dumping it out of a bucket so I
can see it go down. As it stands I'm not opposed to either slug. In the end if the Partition shoots similar or close the AccuTip when it comes to accuracy I'm going Partition. If the Partition can hold the AccuTips jock for accuracy then it's AccuTip.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

With Archery I would completely agree with the 2 holes being better buckhtr77, but with slugs not so much. I want that slug to dump every micron of energy into that deer. You will see that it will kill faster that way. With that much weight in a projectile, you will have a HUGE wound channel and with it dumping all into the chest cavity that deer should go down fast with no need for a blood trail in most cases.

From the 2 patterns you have posted up, that partition isn't that accurate from your slugger. Nowhere NEAR that accutip. Personally, I shoot Lightfields from my T.C. 12ga barrel with dang near 1 hole performance at 50 and 1" clover at 100 but thats what the barrel like to eat the best. Never had a deer go very far as long as I did my part. I think the longest I had to trail was a big doe I shot from 120 yards and hit a little high on the shoulder. She went close to 60 yards and dropped. Most are pretty much "Bang Flop".
Old 04-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Umm superhunt54, if you read my post I said the group on the solid orange line above deadcenter...3/4" at 100 yds. is the fianl results. If you don't think that is impressive then I have no idea what to tell you. As far as the other slug holes on that target that was me sighting in after bore sighting the scope in...
Old 04-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightfields are great hard hitting slugs, but they drop like a brick just over 100yds., plus when compared to today's slugs they are ancient
Old 04-29-2015, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

If these are not on your list, you should give them a try !

http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/h_home.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.