HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Gun tape? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/398776-gun-tape.html)

buckman11 04-13-2015 11:12 AM

Gun tape?

I bought some Camo Gun-Tape at our local sporting goods store today. On the package, it says, wipe down gun with alcohol, to remove all oil. That scares me. Wiping down my gun with alcohol doesnt sound like a good idea at all....Does anyone here have experience with gun tape? Or any tips you could share? It would be greatly appriciated!

Oldtimr 04-13-2015 11:24 AM

Alcohol will not hurt the bluing on your gun any more than gun slovents. I have experience with a brand of camo gun tape I don't remember the name but I put it on an O/U for waterfowl hunting and i stayed on fine, in fact I also put it on my SS thermos bottle at the same time. I went to remove the tape about 5 years after I put it on and that is where I had trouble, I cannot even remember how many different solvents including nail polish remover and alcohol and many other things, it took me days to get the tape off the barrel and reciever of my gun. That was 30 plus years ago, the tape is still on the thermos. I am sure they have made some improvements to the adhesive by this time. If you are leary about the tape, they make an elastic cloth wrap in camo, I don't know how well it stays on though.

super_hunt54 04-13-2015 12:10 PM

As oldtimer said, Alcohol wont hurt it a bit. Now for the useful tip of REMOVAL: Brake parts cleaner! Just spray down a towel with the cleaner, wipe it down. wipe it off. Simple and easy. It will take the residue right off and wont hurt the bluing one bit.

Topgun 3006 04-14-2015 06:44 AM

I use camo tape on my old Model 1200 Winny every year for Spring turkey season and the tape comes off easily after the season is over. Any little bit of residual sticky stuff comes off with a little isopropyl alcohol and I've never had to use anything stronger like 54 mentioned.

bugsNbows 04-14-2015 08:28 AM

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) will also remove sticky tape residue.

roymartin 04-15-2015 12:17 AM

great

7mmruger 04-15-2015 12:39 PM

Bought a gun about 10 years ago that had that gun tape on it, what a pain to remove had to refinish the stock and alcohol took it off the barrel but could not get it off the wood stock. They removed it before I bought it but the residue was still their.

flags 04-15-2015 01:39 PM

I had camo tape on my old Win pump for more than 10 years. Since I used the same gun for waterfowl and turkey I saw no reason to take it off. I finally did simply because it was getting really ratty looking. Pulled the tape off and wiped it down with alcohol to remove the residue. Came off nice and easy. Alcohol won't hurt the finish on a gun. After all, you can pour it on your hands and if it doesn't get into a cut it won't bother them either.

Ridge Runner 04-15-2015 01:52 PM

to remove the glue residue, nothing will beat "gumcutter 2+2" it will soften the clear finish on wood but it will harden right back up soon as the gumcutter flashes, and it will suck the oil out of the metal works so oil it back up as soon as its clean. to paint my turkey guns I use rustoleum primers, leave it on for years and the gumcutter takes it right off.
RR