HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Tommy Gun ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/398686-tommy-gun.html)

GOOD OLE BOY 04-07-2015 06:42 PM

Tommy Gun ?

I,m gonna get one but want your advice.They have them also in al.ally receiver.I handled one today and it was sweet to handle compared to the heavy steel receiver model.The al.is a little cheaper as well.I am getting either the T150D which is steel receiver 30 rd.stick and 50 rd drum.Or the T5 which is the same exact gun with a al.receiver.I,m concerned with realibility and longevidity with the al receivers.What do you all think?

RobertSubnet 04-09-2015 10:22 AM

What do you all think?
I think you are going to need a progressive press! Good luck with the purchase.

super_hunt54 04-10-2015 06:22 PM

I'm not a big fan of aluminium receivers. Especially in a firearm that you will more than likely be heating up. Maybe it's just me on that thought process but back when I was a kid, you know when I went out for Brontosaurus burgers and all, steel was the way to go. Maybe the newest aluminium alloys can stand well to the heat and pressure but I aint sold on that yet. Just have a hard time putting my trust in something that can blow my face off if it goofed up.

Nomercy448 04-10-2015 07:54 PM

I had a Kahr T1 1927A1 for a short time after they re-released them. Even burning a lot of rounds, it wouldn't get as hot as an AR (a lot less powder!), and of course, the AR's are aluminum, and they run just fine. The barrels get hot on the Tommy's, but the receivers really don't get as hot as a DI AR action.

Too many guys get hung up on steel versus aluminum, without understanding the differences between the two alloys. Aluminum's a lot better transfer medium than steel, so it'll heat up faster, but it'll also shed heat faster too. Aluminum (7075 vs. 316L) has about twice the heat capacity, and about 8x the heat transfer coefficient (heat shedding) as stainless steel, with a higher tensile yield strength to boot. The melting point might be a lot lower, but it's still over 700 degrees hotter than you'd be able to touch without burns!!!

I wouldn't have any qualms about buying a "Lightweight" Tommy. For a simple 45acp rifle, they're heavier than he11, especially with a 50 or 100rnd drum!! I'm also prone to believe that Kahr/Auto Ord wouldn't be foolish enough to release an aluminum receiver without thoroughly vetting out the function and durability. I might not specifically look to BUY an aluminum model, but I wouldn't shy away from it, or value one over the other.

Feeding out of the 30rnd sticks was generally a lot better than either of the drums. I started with two 100's, one didn't feed at all, traded it back towards a 50, which was better, but not perfect. 100rnds was too dang heavy, and frankly, in a semi-auto, just takes too long to burn.

I wish I hadn't sold mine now. Would love to have it as a short range coyote rifle :) And this time I'd spin a can on it!!!!

super_hunt54 04-11-2015 11:15 AM

Well Mercy, I don't fire off a ton of rounds at a time out of my AR. That Tommy gun, to me anyway, is going to be pretty much a "plaything" to shoot a ton of ammo at once. From the 2 or 3 that I've seen they aren't very accurate so therefore not that efficient for hunting. You are probably right being that Aluminium is a better heat sink and all. And .45acp (I am assuming that the Tommy he is looking at is in .45acp) isn't that big on recoil so that's not that much of an issue. It's just a head thing I guess. I just prefer the strongest stuff I can have between my face and an explosive reaction a couple of inches from it :)

Big Uncle 04-11-2015 11:54 AM

I can not imagine why anyone would want a Thompson but I think the all the extra weight possible would help a bit to keep the muzzle from climbing.

GOOD OLE BOY 04-12-2015 06:26 PM

I called the Company the other day and they highly recommended I stay with the steel.Thanks for your replies.Now if I can find a dealer that will deal and not want to gouge me on a price.

Big Uncle 04-13-2015 10:50 AM

Just as a matter of idle curiosity - what are you going to do with the Thompson (self defense, plinking and blasting, historical battle prop, etc.)?

I will be very impressed if your purpose is long range benchrest competition, birthday gift for your wife, or concealed carry!

GOOD OLE BOY 04-19-2015 01:22 PM

Strictly for plinkin,historical,blastin and lets not forget,just plain cool.How in the heck would you conceal a heavy Thompson?

7mmruger 04-19-2015 01:37 PM

Have a volunteer arms Thompson clone it has a aluminum receiver and I personally have put thousands of rounds threw it. About 500 rounds and it needs a good cleaning. Fun to shoot main use winchester white box or remington umc. Hard to shoot from the shoulder due to the stock design and hand vertical handgard. But fun to shoot from the hip.