Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Anyone else ever had this problem? >

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone else ever had this problem?

I recently just bought a Remington VersaMax. I have been shooting the gun with no problems. I decided today that I was going to put in the turkey extra full choke to pattern it. The gun was shooting about 3-4 inches to the right. I switched ammunition and that did not seem to help. I put one of the regular chokes back in and it was spot on. I again put the extra full choke in and had the same results, straight to the right. I have never heard of this before, has anyone??
Old 03-23-2015, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's fairly common for shotguns not to shoot precisely to POA. That's why some guys go to scopes or adjustable sights. A good gunsmith can resolve that. They'll either bend the barrel slightly or more likely, bend the magazine tube to which the barrel is attached.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would get and try another choke before I had the barrel bent of a gun that was shooting POA prior to the turkey choke being use on it.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-23-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had an extra full extended choke that did the same thing except it shot low by much more than 3" or 4". It was tried on a couple of other shotguns but it never worked out right.

After changing to a different extra full tube the gun patterned just fine. The first tube might have been worth salvaging, but I chucked it in the bin.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wingbone
It's fairly common for shotguns not to shoot precisely to POA. That's why some guys go to scopes or adjustable sights. A good gunsmith can resolve that. They'll either bend the barrel slightly or more likely, bend the magazine tube to which the barrel is attached.
Why would you suggest that when it's obviously the choke and not the gun that's screwed up?!
Old 03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

I appreciate the input everyone. I think I'm going to try and get another turkey choke tube for it from the dealer. Just a little frustrating, considering the price that was paid for the gun.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

As topgun so reasonably put it, It's not the gun but the choke tube. It's obviously not the gun itself since it shoots fine with other tubes threaded in. Sometimes you get one that shoots "off" because of a very slight "canting" on the threads and this shows up more so on extra full chokes. It could very well be that the threading on the choke tube is off. Never had use for those "extra full" jobs anyway. Always gotten by very well with a full. Actually killed quite a few Turkeys with Modified. All extra full does for me is increase recoil.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Why would you suggest that when it's obviously the choke and not the gun that's screwed up?!
Unless the other chokes throw just as tight a pattern, it may not be noticeable until the pattern is small. Put the tube in someone else's gun. If it has the same affect, it's the tube. If not, it's the barrel. In either case it's not an insurmountable problem.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Horse hockey, if the other chokes shoot to the POA and the extra tight choke shoots off POA, it is the choke, not the barrel that is the problem!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I would contact the maker of the choke tube and explain what is happening. They may just replace the tube as that is the problem not the barrel of magazine.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.