Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
baikal o&u R/S >

baikal o&u R/S

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

baikal o&u R/S

Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Spike

Default baikal o&u R/S

Anybody have a rifle/ shotgun combo. From the
Maker. I am looking at them now .I have read the trigger s
Are very hard to pull. But a gunsmith can fix that.
I was looking at the 22 mag. 410.
Any reviews. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

I know to people that have them one is under the remington name and one under the Baikal name. Both are 12/223, they seem to like them they use them for turkey hunting in wv. I don't know about the hard trigger pull, but the one that has the Baikal name was hard to get the barrels to shot close the the same point of aim. The remington was right on, they got the other to shot but it took awhile to regulate it, luckily it was new and the owners manual told them how to do it.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to rebuild the Baikal SxS shotguns for cowboy action shooters, and ended up doing a few of the combo guns as well. As Bbj pointed out, the Remington Spartans are really just the same crappy Russian made Baikal guns, but imported by Remington instead of European American Armory, so they're relabeled. After that name change, they became even MORE popular among cowboy action shooters for a while until the whole deal took a dump.

The trigger can be improved, but a smith that isn't used to them can make them unsafe pretty easily. The trigger pull on most of them is about 300lbs out of the box and feel like you're dragging a sled over gravel, but a GOOD smith, familiar with their triggers can get them down under 6lbs pretty easily, but getting under 4lbs was kinda dicey.

A lot of smiths refused to work on them at the time, simply because you can't really get replacement parts for them without buying a parts gun. They're also not made of the finest materials, so it's easy to polish through hardening and ruin a part (and a few parts won't be hardened at all!).

The warning that I would offer is this - that second barrel is loaded and ready to go, and there are few things in life more exhilarating than having a double barrel slip fire on you and give you a delayed double boom when you're not ready for it.

The Savage combo guns are a much better investment if you're really interested in one.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
I know to people that have them one is under the remington name and one under the Baikal name. Both are 12/223, they seem to like them they use them for turkey hunting in wv. I don't know about the hard trigger pull, but the one that has the Baikal name was hard to get the barrels to shot close the the same point of aim. The remington was right on, they got the other to shot but it took awhile to regulate it, luckily it was new and the owners manual told them how to do it.
heck regulating them is simple, cut a 1/2" strip out of a beer can, each wrap of beer can on the regulating pin raises the POI on the rifle 2.5 moa at 50 yards, see us rednecks are good for something!
RR
Old 02-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Spike

Thanks for the reply 's
I have bought 3 of the savage's mod 24v.
And they can't seen too put the 2 barrels on straight
Site the 22 in then put. A slug in and shoot that your lucky
If you hit the same sheet of plywood 4+8.
That's why I wanted to give some one else a try at making one.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by newcomb
Thanks for the reply 's
I have bought 3 of the savage's mod 24v.
And they can't seen too put the 2 barrels on straight
Site the 22 in then put. A slug in and shoot that your lucky
If you hit the same sheet of plywood 4+8.
That's why I wanted to give some one else a try at making one.
sight the shotgun barrel in first, most of them that I've messed with have the rifle barrel hitting high to the shotgun, then stick a shim between the barrels, I use to use either a nickel or a dime to get the rifles POI to come down. you could get fancy and have a machinist make a shim if you wanted.
RR
Old 02-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

The only savage guns I have are 5 savage 24 all shoot the same place with out missing with them. Then I seen other that shot way off. The newer 24 the barrels don't touch and they seem to be picky. All the ones I have the barrel touch each other. I seen one at a gun show that the barrels where differently off by a lot. Also seen a savage 2400 imported by valmet that the barrel where way off but it was fixed where the barrels where regulated. Never shot one of the Baikal but comparing them to my savages, the savages are a better made gun. The guy I now that has the remington made one also has a savage 24v in 222/20 and he says it shoots better then the remington he busted wanted a 12 ga. He was looking for a valmet but never could find one in his price range.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:55 PM
Spike

I am looking for another one .so will see. Or maybe I will give
The new 42 a try.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

I personally looked at the savage 42, but didn't like the feel of it. Really would love to find and old 24 22/410 with the tenite stock. My grandfather used one with a 410 slug to kill his first deer. It was sold by father some years later. He always talked about that gun. His main small game gun was a savage 24 in 22 magnum/20 ga., deluxe model.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Spike

Ordered a new sav.mod.42 today won't have it
For a week or more. 22 mag/410.
I haven't had a four ten sence I was a kid.
Use to go over to my uncles farm and shoot
Bats. Just before dark that was fun.

Last edited by newcomb; 03-04-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.