Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I have an 870 I would like to film dip DIY and need help >

I have an 870 I would like to film dip DIY and need help

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I have an 870 I would like to film dip DIY and need help

Old 02-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Spike

Default I have an 870 I would like to film dip DIY and need help

I have an 870 that I would like to do a DIY film dip.

I am wanting to do it in a spring color pattern because I only use it for spring turkey hunting.

I do have a synthetic stock and forearm will I be able rough them up and prime them and have the finish hold up?

Also what company would you suggest I use and do I need to order factory direct or can it be bought through an online store or ebay?

One other question how much will this cost me to do?

THanks
Old 02-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked into doing it myself, between product, preparing, time, and clean up.....it would be cheaper in the long run to have a professional do. I had two done for me: One was the stock only of my Savage 220f and the other was a Mossberg 500 20ga I may opt to use for turkey hunting

Can't find a picture of the Mossberg.....The stock on the savage cost $125, the Mossberg was just over $200 for the whole gun
Attached Thumbnails I have an 870 I would like to film dip DIY and need help-220f.jpg  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first set up to do a DIY dip cost as much as having it done professionally, then took a lot of my time, and a LOT of practice to learn to do it properly - wasting a lot of dip film. As I did it, I realized that there were distinct short-comings for how I was doing it, so I ended up adding more equipment to help me do it properly. About $1,000 later, I basically find myself owning a professional hydrographics set up...

So the moral of that story... Lots of wasted money to do it yourself for one or two, or 5 or 6 firearms.

Cough up the $150 and go have it done.