Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
9mm or 40 cal >

9mm or 40 cal

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

9mm or 40 cal

Old 02-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

I prefer the 9mm. I do not believe that a .40 offers enough advantage over the 9mm to make it worth the added recoil and muzzleflash. My duty weapon is a Glock 17 in 9mm. I carry 17+1 and can fire multiple rounds, on target, quickly. The difference shooting at night is also noticeable. Not that the 9mm doesn't have any muzzleflash, but the .40 will about blind ya if you shoot it at night. Now you might say I'm a wimp and can't handle the .40.... Sure, I'll buy into that I suppose. But nobody can argue with multiple rounds, accurately and quickly on target. The .40 is very "snappy" and I don't notice much at all on my 9mm.
Another side of it, and I have no data whatsoever to support this. But .40s are a higher pressure round. That means more wear and tear on your pistol. That's probably not enough to be noticeable, but there it is anyway. 9mm is cheaper to shoot, typically easier to find, and just about any gun store carries multiple brands.
I'm just a fan of the 9mm. Also love my .45.. not a big fan of the .40. But that's just me, I don't want hit with any of them.
Find a gun that fits you well and that you shoot well. Practice, train, practice, train, practice, train. That's what really matters.
-Jake
Old 02-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddys got a S&W Shield in 40 I got one in a 9. Notable increased in recoil in the 40 and I'm not recoil sensitive
Old 02-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
The point of a handgun for self-defense is to incapacitate the bad guy, or make him hurt badly enough that he stops trying to hurt you.
I have to disagree. After the bad guy gets out of the hospital, he is going to sue your ass.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

If you go to the link below, it shows pictures of muzzle flash for various calibers with various size bullets. It is by no means an exhaustive reference but it does show enough information to make one question statements about which caliber produces the most muzzle flash. The only definitive way for anybody to say that one caliber/pistol has less muzzle flash than another caliber/pistol combo is for a person to shoot both under equally dark circumstances.

Choosing which CCW pistol/caliber is right for you involves a lot of differing factors and as always, should normally come down to which one you feel most confident with and can perform best with. There are exceptions, such as when you have to carry a sub-compact size (probably a .22, .25 or .380 due to pure small size requirements) but in general, your choice should be dictated by what you feel most confident with and what you shoot best.

If I was in a shootout at longer distances (50 yards plus), a 1911 style pistol in .45 would be my 1st choice, followed by a Glock 22 in .40 (I used to shoot it at 100 yards fairly well). A Glock 35 might be a consideration also but I have never shot one.

If I was in a gunfight at shorter distances (under 50 yards), I'd probably choose a Glock 22 in .40 as I've already survived one gunfight with this exact pistol.

If I carry CCW in a gun-bag or in a belt holster covered by a shirt, I currently use a Glock 30SF in .45. If I'm dressed ins slacks with no belt holster opportunity, I stick a Walther PPK/S .380 in my front pocket. Not my preferred gun to shoot (although it's quite accurate at 15 yards or less) but the trigger is a little stiff.

My point is that different situations call for different guns/calibers. As you experience more situations, your opinion(s) will change and there will be occasions when your preference simply isn't the best option.

I'm not denigrating a 9mm as I've carried one (Glock 17) on and off-duty for a few years before switching to a 45, then a .40 and back to a 45. In the future, I may add a 9mm. Who knows?

My point for the OP is to make YOUR best choice and re-evaluate from time to time. Don't lock yourself into a single caliber, make or model. Practice with everything you have and think your way through what YOUR requirements are for each CCW situation as your requirements/situation may vary from mine or the next persons.

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/muzzle-flash/