Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

marlin x7

Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 PM
Spike

Default marlin x7

Greetings all,

I am new to the whole hunting rifle world. I want to get into it. As the title suggests I am looking to purchase a marlin X7 30-06 for around $400 with scope(probably worth mentioning). I know the guys at the store are trying to hype it up for the sale but my question is would this be a good rifle? My goals are eventually to go deer hunting at the most .I mostly want to take it for target shooting though. I can understand if this wouldn't be the best rifle to start with.

I guess my questions are is this a good overall rifle? Also what kind of price would be reasonable and how is this rifle for dependability? I just don't want to buy a cheap rifle and then have to upgrade later when i actually want to hunt game. Also don't want a lemon right out of the gate.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I have never owned one but my nephew and brother in law both own one in 270. Neither one of them hunt a lot but both have taken deer with them and shot targets. They say they function flawlessly and group really nice on paper. As for price I believe the both gave around 350 new with out scopes. That has been 5 or so years ago. Hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

i was in the same spot about 2 years ago i needed my first deer rifle and i looked at reviews untill my eyes burst and i bought the mossberg 100 atr 30-06 i am a mossberg fan i love the looks of all there rifles if i were you i would go after the atr and with the money you save buy a nice scope just one mans opinion though you cant go wrong with either hope this helps
Old 01-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Spike

Own four of the Marlin X rifles: .223, 7mm-08, 308 and a 25-06 that I rebarreled to 7x57. Obviously, I like the X rifles. All of them have proven to be fairly accurate rifles. Has a decent trigger that you can adjust to a lower trigger pull. Mind you, I'm not a big fan of plastic stocks, so I've replaced the Marlin stocks with wood ones I've made.

I'm one of 700 members of a private shooting range and try to get to it to shoot at least 2 days a week, weather permitting. Every once in awhile notice a fellow member with a Marlin X rifle and generally I chat with them about the rifle. Can't recall any of them having a negative comment about their rifle. In short, they were pleased with the rifle.

LGS in Houston area where I live has advertised a couple of times in the last few weeks, Marlin X 30-06 rifles with around a $260 price, no scope on it. Don't recall paying over $340 (plus tax) for any of mine.

FWIW, seems the powers that be have decided to cease production of the Marlin X series of rifles. The Remington side of the family with the 783 and 770 rifles will now be the only entry type rifles sold. Shame too, the Marlin X series are nice rifles.

Last edited by huffmanite; 01-20-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by huffmanite
Own four of the Marlin X rifles: .223, 7mm-08, 308 and a 25-06 that I rebarreled to 7x57. Obviously, I like the X rifles. All of them have proven to be fairly accurate rifles. Has a decent trigger that you can adjust to a lower trigger pull. Mind you, I'm not a big fan of plastic stocks, so I've replaced the Marlin stocks with wood ones I've made.

I'm one of 700 members of a private shooting range and try to get to it to shoot at least 2 days a week, weather permitting. Every once in awhile notice a fellow member with a Marlin X rifle and generally I chat with them about the rifle. Can't recall any of them having a negative comment about their rifle. In short, they were pleased with the rifle.

LGS in Houston area where I live has advertised a couple of times in the last few weeks, Marlin X 30-06 rifles with around a $260 price, no scope on it. Don't recall paying over $340 (plus tax) for any of mine.

FWIW, seems the powers that be have decided to cease production of the Marlin X series of rifles. The Remington side of the family with the 783 and 770 rifles will now be the only entry type rifles sold. Shame too, the Marlin X series are nice rifles.
Forgive me for my ignorance but if they stopped production on the X series will I still be able to replace parts on it fairly easily if something were to break?

Thank you all for your responses they are actually rather helpful
Old 01-21-2015, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Parts will be available for years and you,ll probably never need any.These rifles have rage reviews and shoot light out.Get one while you can that is new.The only drawback to me is that they have blind mags which to most people don,t mean squat.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

They are still list on the marlin webpage. Seen some at cabelas Monday didn't look at the price was realy interested in them. Did real y look at a bandit version in 308 this summer at a farm bureau in va for $319 but didn't get it. Should have if I knew they where going to be discontinued.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...on/default.asp
Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

I own an xl7 in 30-06. It was a good shooter out of the box. Sorry to hear that they are going out of production. I would be cautious about buying the scope package. As far as I can tell, the brand of the scope is not identified and it is probably a POS. Put your money into a lower end decent scope rather.