HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Small Handguns? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/396476-small-handguns.html)

salukipv1 12-17-2014 03:24 PM

Small Handguns?

Considering picking up a small hand gun.

Just thinking about calibers off the top of my head,

I had the thought, does anyone really ant to be shot by a .22 whether short or LR? I know this is probably not an ideal "stopper" but I would think you pull any pistol firing any bullets on a bad guy, esp one without a gun, he's going to be running the other way.

I'm not saying I want a .22 pistol, just running through some ideas in my head.

I'm open to small gun suggestions, I think ideally I'd want a 9mm, but that
Ruger LCP in .380 10oz
vs. LC9mm 17oz

I think it would be nice to have something small to carry, I'm kind of thinking smaller the better,

I'll probably do more plinking /target shooting than anything with it.

Maybe I need 2, why decide? haha.

Anyone have one of these small guns? curious if a super light .380 might kick more than a light 9mm?

I've read about light guns kicking, not that I enjoy shooting .44mag a lot, but I found it very manageable, so sometimes I wonder if worrying about small light guns kicking isn't really something to worry about? but I could see the point that they might not be enjoyable to shoot a lot of rounds through.

Thanks for any insight/suggestions.

Also laser vs no laser?
Do these guns with lasers slide into holsters well? they look like they would be awkward to fit, or do they have special holsters now for these style guns?

Can you get snakeloads for the .380?
I know you can for the 9mm.
Or do they make cups for the .380 and handload some snakeloads for the .380?

jerry d 12-17-2014 05:28 PM

I have a S&W Shield 9MM, 19 oz empty. I carry regularly. IMO the key to a comfortable carry is the right holster & belt. The Shield has a very nice trigger, and good sites. Bullet availability is also good. I would buy that gun again if I had to do it over.

My wife has the S&W Bodyguard 380. Very easy to carry, fits in your front pocket,dont even know it there. That gun has a very long trigger pull but with practice you get used to it. Sites suck!! but are an easy fix with a little testors paint. I painted the rear white the front flo. orange. Worked out real nice.

Both guns have safeties, some people like that others don't. It don't really care one way or the other.

Handle as many as you can see what feels good in your hand!

As far as self protection I wouldn't carry anything less than a 380 load with some hydroshoks or golddots.

As far as recoil, both are very manageable.

Lasers I'm not a fan but that's just my opinion.

Streetdoctor 12-17-2014 05:54 PM

Had a glock 26, gave it to my wife. Too small. Now I carry a glock 19. Won't go smaller than 9mm. I'm 6'1 200lbs and apex carry in a raven vanguard II. I love this thing!

In my mind 9mm is as small of a caliber as I would go. I carry 16 rounds of 135r +p Hornady critical defense. I used to carry a Glock 30SF (.45acp) but I'm extremely fast with follow up shots in 9mm vs my .45 and it's a little more thin/easier to conceal.

Topgun 3006 12-17-2014 06:04 PM

I've got a nice little .380 Beretta that I really like. It fits my hand perfectly and with the little camo canvas holster for it I don't even know when I'm carrying. Ruger also has nice little 9mms and a .380s, but the 9mm my buddy has just doesn't feel right in my hand when I shot it last month at deer camp.

Sheridan 12-17-2014 07:45 PM

The 1911's they are making right now and they all can handle +P ammunition - Pick one .............Done !!!

SecondChance 12-17-2014 08:22 PM

For light clothes carry or concealablity is of the esence due to environment, a Ruger LCP with Horn. Critical Defense is a hard one to beat. In one of my training classes, the guys were giving me noise for the 380. I took his gallon of water and stepped off 7 steps and cracked it once. I got wet!! I told that I don't feel anyone is going to volunteer for several of these!!!! You can put it in your pocket w/o a holster and not be bulky or print. Lay it on the table and cover it with your hand. My wife loves to carry it and shoots it very well also. The laser sight is a plus for low light conditions as both a deterent alone or a sight acquisition point.

Tundra10 12-17-2014 10:05 PM

Personal pref. Bit I'm a fan of the small .380s

jerry d 12-18-2014 04:51 AM

I found this to be an informative test on 380 bullets. IMO bullets matter more than headstamps, whether self defense or hunting: http://shootingthebull.net/blog/fina...cp-ammo-quest/

Nomercy448 12-18-2014 12:59 PM

I have a couple of LCP's and LC9's. I end up carrying the LCP far more often than the LC9 - so much that the 9 is almost irrelevant. My wife and I both carry LCP's as our normal EDC pistols. My biggest complaint about the LC9 is that it has a manual safety - I filed the lever on mine down flush so it cannot be accidentally activated. Sights are better on the LC9, but adding white sight paint to the rear sight and orange sight paint to the front sight of the Gen 2 LCP has them about even. We have 3 LCP's, I haven't had any failures in a few thousand rounds out of all of them. I kept them wet at first to make sure they'd move freely, and they've all 3 ran like a top.

The Gen 2 LCP is the one to get, and you'll be sorely disappointed if you buy a Gen 1 then someday feel a Gen 2's trigger, or see the sights. I still carry my Gen 1, but only because I paid $230 for it so it didn't make sense to sell it rather than just outright buying another Gen 2. My Gen 2 is my EDC, my Gen 1 is my "jogging carry gun" since I sweat like he11.

As far as accuracy goes - the LCPs are accurate. They're a bit difficult to shoot, and a Hogue Hand-all grip wrap helps the LCP a lot ($7 part, goes on without tools). BUT, the LCP is accurate. The first day my wife got her LCP, I cleaned it in the truck as we drove out to check fence in one of my pastures. She broke it in by knots on small trees as we walked the fenceline - 2" or smaller diameter trees at 10yrds with a pocket pistol sure aint bad.

Sig Sauer P238 is another fine piece. I'm not a fan of manual safeties on my carry weapon, but the single action trigger is a great improvement over the DAO pocket pistols in its class. 1911 styling, straight shooting, reliable even when dry and dirty. A bit heavier so it feels much better behaved, and the stock grips feel much much better in hand than the LCP.

Oldtimr 12-18-2014 02:20 PM

If you want a small handgun that has some power, forget about a .380 and look a a .40 cal. I carry most days a Kahr MK40 with a crimson trace laser sight. It is one of the 2 guns I qualify with each year for my national carry privileges.