Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement >

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Massive Remington Trigger Replacement Possible In Proposed Court Settlement

Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've watched Remington under fire, again, watched the interview with walker, not one shread of proof that the rifles go off on their own, one sniper team video'd a malfunctioning 700, the report said the rifle would go off by just touching the bolt, and it did, but you could plainly see the guy pull the trigger on the firing line, call out no fire, then touch the bolt and it would go off. the reporter narrarating the video didn't mention that.
now they may have been law enforcement, but anyone with a grain of sense and a bit of knowledge would figure out that after the trigger is pulled with the rifle on fire, if the rifle doesn't go off till you touch the bolt then its not the trigger, what would cause this? either a burr or something machined out of alignment, trigger most probably not the cause.
other than that one instance, everything else I saw was hearsay.
Its been said that the instances can't be replicated???? why not? its a mechanical device, it can't run flawless for years, then have a failure, then cannot be made to fail again. In my shooting circle, myself, my friends and the gunsmiths who I send work to have dealt with thousands of the walker triggers, the ones that had problems had been tinkered with by someone, I've heard since they came out the XMP triggers were junk so I do not own one, I ordered a jewel trigger just to have in case I find a deal on an XMP equipped left hand 700 action.
RR

edited to add, I put the serial numbers of 3 of my 700's on the Remington recall page, they are not under a recall, nor did they offer to replace the trigger, or even clean and check them

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 02-08-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

CNBC = left wing bias. I think the gun control crowed is causing problems for Remington and trying to cause a division amongst gun owners. It will never be known how many of these "misfires" are due to operator error, or dirty guns with excessive oil & gunk residue build up, or to trigger adjustments.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lewy v in the Eighth was an appeal that remanded to a new trial. This is a small excerpt:

"Finally, we have some doubts as to whether the defective design of the Lewy rifle was the proximate cause of the injuries sustained by Mrs. Lewy. Liability cannot be placed on a manufacturer of a defective product without a showing that the defect was the proximate cause of the plaintiff's injury. See Prosser and Keeton on Torts �� 102, at 710 (W. Keeton 5th ed. 1984). The undisputed facts reveal that Mike Lewy adjusted his rifle's trigger pull in apparent disregard of the owner's manual which warned against owner adjustments of the rifle. Remington's test of the rifle shows that in this altered condition the rifle would fire on release of safety nine out of thirteen trials. However, when returned to factory specifications the Lewy rifle did not FSR once in fifty trials."

Lewy had left a loaded rifle in the house and later while unloading it he shot through the ceiling and hit his mother in the leg. Lewy was awarded $20,000 in damages and $400,000 in punitive in the original case. The original case was full of problems and it was determined that Remington did not receive a fair trial.

Rem appealed to the Eighth District. There are many references to other cases against other manufacturers, etc. but none that I saw referenced Remington. The Eighth remanded to a new trial. I lost the trail at this point.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nobody wins on internet discussions where people have different views and no amount of persuasion will change their position.

Gun safety is the most important thing in our sport. That is one point where I am sure we all agree.

This is a topic that is good to discuss for a while - but maybe it is time for a thread like this to be put on the shelf when the discussion turns into heated exchanges.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

It's okay to have divergent opinions. Just don't flame each other. Regardless of lawsuits or not, Remington apparently has a recall currently in effect (see links below).

The 700 is obviously a solid rifle that many people use to build superb long distance rifles and other custom rifles. Like anything else mechanical, sometimes parts don't work like they should and have to be recalled.

I don't know if Remington did the recall by choice or by court order. Either way, Remington is taking care of it. After 13 pages, I think you've all covered this subject and can let it rest.

Remington

Safety Warning And Recall Notice

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

REMINGTON MODEL 700™ AND MODEL SEVEN™ RIFLES

PRODUCTS: Remington Arms Company, LLC (“Remington”) is voluntarily recalling Remington Model 700™ and Model Seven™ rifles with X-Mark Pro® (“XMP®”) triggers, manufactured from May 1, 2006 to April 9, 2014.
DESCRIPTION OF THE HAZARD: Remington has determined that some Model 700 and Model Seven rifles with XMP triggers could, under certain circumstances, unintentionally discharge. A Remington investigation has determined that some XMP triggers might have excess bonding agent used in the assembly process. While Remington has the utmost confidence in the design of the XMP trigger, it is undertaking this recall in the interest of consumer safety to remove any potential excess bonding agent applied in the assembly process.

...partial article...

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...odelseven.aspx

If you have a Remington rifle and want to see if it's being recalled, Remington also has this website (see link below) where you can input your rifle's serial # and see if your rifle is being recalled. Pretty user friendly.

http://xmprecall.remington.com/
Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
not one shread of proof that the rifles go off on their own,
I really don't have a dog in this fight. I've got nothing against Remington, but I was a witness to one of those occurrences.
I was picking my buddy up at the end of the day. He had just walked out of the woods toward me. With the rifle pointed in a safe direction, and his finger off the trigger, he flicked the safety off to begin unloading. The rifle fired on it's own, scaring the hell out of both of us, especially him. He had the trigger replaced. As far as I'm concerned there were valid concerns.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Wingbone
I really don't have a dog in this fight. I've got nothing against Remington, but I was a witness to one of those occurrences.
I was picking my buddy up at the end of the day. He had just walked out of the woods toward me. With the rifle pointed in a safe direction, and his finger off the trigger, he flicked the safety off to begin unloading. The rifle fired on it's own, scaring the hell out of both of us, especially him. He had the trigger replaced. As far as I'm concerned there were valid concerns.
Sir, it doesn't matter how many thousand people come on threads like you and they have to express exactly what you and they have stated because some of these people probably couldn't be convinced that the sun rises and sets each day! What is interesting is the fact that the Model 70 was mentioned as having about 20% of the total number of Remingtons out in the field, but you never hear anything like this problem brought out about them. Nor have we heard of any numbers that would ring a bell about all the Sakos, Rugers, Savages, etc. that are out in the field and I'd venture a guess that a good number of them have had trigger work done or may not be as clean as they should be in a perfect scenario. Geez, I wonder why only one particular manufacturer has had this problem to any extent!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-09-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Seen a couple of marlin rimfires go off with just flipping the safety off. Marlin took care of the problem with a new trigger but seen it happen twice. A seen a used one at a acution that the owner said he had problems with it going off with engaging the safety. At lest he was honest about it.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ever tried to adjust a trigger on a ruger? got 2 number 1's, turn the screws till the cows come home and nothing changes. a smith told me it takes so much machine work that its not feasible
BTW mine were both purchased new in 1992
RR
Old 02-10-2015, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a Ruger with a Timney and the safety doesn't work at all...it'll fire whether on fire or safe, both safes. And guess what, I haven't shot anyone with it, I wonder why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.