Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Ever want to slap saleman? >

Ever want to slap saleman?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ever want to slap saleman?

Old 12-01-2014, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Going to buy my wife a 20ga. over and under. Tell the pimple face expert we want to look at several and we don't want to see a browning. First thing he pulls from the shelf is a browning. Hands it towards me I say we don't want to see a browning I told you that. He says that is what most guys want. We walked out and got her a nice CD at another gun shop.
Was in Minnesota one year for Christmas, Daughter gave me a gift card for Cabalas which at that time none in Michigan. Son in law takes me to the one near or at Albert Lea. I want some scope mounts for a Remington 700 Muzzle loader. Scope sales person didn't have a clue what mounts it took and said I should go to the black powder dept. and they would set me up. they just looked totally bewildered. I came home and Went to Williams and got just the think I wanted. Regifted that gift card back to SIL the next Christmas.
Went to Gander Mountain in Flint Michigan to buy some ammo boxes for my reloads. They only had two on the shelf so I was going to ask the only sales clerk in the area but he was so busy with a BBBB to answer my question. Again I went to Williams and got them 25 cents more money but would have saved the money in the fuel I used to go to Flint.

The stores are to one who claim they have expert sales staff, so some of the sales staff try to act like it.
I was cracking up recently when I went to a store with my wife to buy a new thanks giving outfit. Sales clerk next to ours was trying to get one of those anti theft devoices off a box.
Was like watching a monkey trying to have sex with a foot ball and by the time the manager got there they were ready to use a box cutter on it.
Manager didn't care one bit got my comment about the well trained sales staff.

Al
Old 12-01-2014, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind when a store doesn't have anyone on staff that knows what the he11 they are talking about. I didn't go there to get an education, I came to buy a product. But it's embarassing when they make an attempt to sound like they know something when it's obvious that they don't. I've been studying Socrates a bit of late, so I take the conversation down a path where I can cause this self proclaimed expert trip on their... Shoelaces...

One prime example: a buddy of mine was lookin for a second job last yr. He's new into archery, and spends a ton of time in my shop watching me tinker trying to learn. At that point in time, he couldn't even tie in a peep sight. He called one afternoon to tell me that he had just gotten a job at a certain large chain outdoor sporting goods store working in the archery shop, setting up bows. My response was this: "THAT is the reason I don't take my bows to a store to get serviced." Apparenly the qualification for the job was to know how to shoot a bow and be available Sunday afternoons. Luckily he didn't last long.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Worked in a my cousins small mom and pop gun shop in TC for a few years when I was young [17-19]
I learned a lot from my customers our moto shut up and listen to the customer..

Now when I go to a gun shop I go to buy not for suggestions or opinions..

Walked into a gun store the other day to buy some .264 win mag ammo none of them had even heard of it including their so called gun expert..lol Had to tell them it's only been around since the late 50s..lol

Last edited by ojibwa; 12-01-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
....... I don't need them to tell me about it, if I have it in my hands I will already know more then they will about it......
Most sales people don't know how to take me. They aren't used to customers that have product knowledge and know what they want.
The ones that do the best w/me are the ones that keep quiet or ask me if I have a question or need anything else. That's hard to find these days. The salesman are made to believe they have to know everything. If they don't know the answer, they make one up. That's what amuses me.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

I never felt like slapping the guy behind the counter at Cabelas, but often get the urge to slap telemarketers who call at dinner time.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yooper. Do you mean CZ? If not, what is a CD other than compact disk?
Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Yooper. Do you mean CZ? If not, what is a CD other than compact disk?
guessing Charles Daly over and under
Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are probably right. You hear so little about them now a days, I never thought of the brand.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yup a Charlies Daily. she has a nice pair a 12 and a 20. the 20 was probably made in the same B C Maroco factory as my BIL's browning.

Al
Old 12-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to the gun counter at a Gander Mtn and had to wait for a sales person to ask me if I needed help,finally a guy comes up to me in his late 20's and asked if he could help I said sure,I would like to see what you have for 338 win mags,he kinda looked and then said they don't stock that cal and he walks away so I was standing there and a older gal walks by and asked if I had been helped I said yep you don't have what I was looking for she asked what it was,I told her I wanted to look at a 338win mag,she went behind the counter and grabed a Savage Trophy Hunter XP in 338,talk about a head scratcher,I looked said thanks and bought it somewhere else,I would of bought it there had I been helped the 1st time,think the kid needs to take some lessons from the older gal that knew her stuff,well at least knew what was on the racks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.