Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
My new deer popper!!! >

My new deer popper!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

My new deer popper!!!

Old 10-04-2014, 02:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I do not get the serial number problem with a tang mount peep sight like the Lyman # 2 on my model 94?

Afraid of a stolen gun not having the serial number exposed? Pawn Shops never worry about the serial number till they have to do the selling paper work.

My friend found his stolen guns at a pawn shop. He did have the serial number list when he got the cops to go back but with the removal of the butt plats there was his name drivers license number and address on a plastic tape.

Al
Old 10-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Woods gun from yesteryear.....................

For me - no scope, iron sights.

.30-30 classic cartridge !

"Beware of the man with one gun,,,,,,,,,"

BTW - I like the "scare" on the bluing near the top right side of the receiver.

Character !!!
All of my levers bear no scopes. I did throw some peeps on my 1895 rifle. Still have stock sights on the 1895GS though. I used to sport a scope on my 336cs, but finally got wise and yanked it. Lever guns handle best naked IMO
Old 10-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I do not get the serial number problem with a tang mount peep sight like the Lyman # 2 on my model 94?

Afraid of a stolen gun not having the serial number exposed?
No... More concerned with the Federal Offense of drilling and tapping holes THROUGH digits of the SN.

Technically, the SN must be overtly located, so covering it up DOES constitute a federal offense as well, but that's a separate matter.

Not ALL Marlin's have the SN down the tang, hence my original post said that the SN is OFTEN located on the tang (about half of mine are, half aren't).

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Only problem you have to watch out for with the Glenfield/Marlin's is that the SN is often on the tang where many peep sights would mount...
To my knowledge, none of the Remlins have tang stamped SN's, but I only own 2 of them so I can't confirm all of them have the left hand side stamp.

Here's a pic I stole off of the internet, clearly shows a SN down the back of the tang of a Marlin 1894.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want to go the peep route you can check with Williams sight company. They have a peep that goes right on the receiver. I have them on my 2 Win 94s and on my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Lyman 66A on my Winc. '94, it had holes drilled and tapped for it, or a similar sight at the factory. Your 336 may have those holes too. Have a gunsmith or someone that knows look at it. I much prefer a receiver sight to a scope on a lever 30-30. Nice gun!! The older generation of guns is disappearing, sorry to see them go.

I have one of those 1.5-4.5 Bushnell Banner scopes on a 3006. They are very good scopes for the money. Obviously, I am not going to use the gun for prairie dogs but 4.5 power is plenty for the shots at deer that I will take.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

People talk about the Birch stock like its a bad thing but I like it more than Walnut. I dropped it off at the gun shop last week to get it scoped and laser bore sighted, I'm gonna pick it up this afternoon, I'll post more pics then.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wish I'd heard of this before you bought that gun. I have bad news for you. I read on the internet that a 30/30 will no longer kill deer. On the bright side, I'll give you 50 bucks for it.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I wish I'd heard of this before you bought that gun. I have bad news for you. I read on the internet that a 30/30 will no longer kill deer. On the bright side, I'll give you 50 bucks for it.

Hahaha yeaaaaaaa.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first gun was a 30A. Nice rifle, got my first deer with it. Today she just sits in the safe. I'd go with a 2-7 or 3-9 scope, if you decide to scope it. My buddy has a peep on his '94 and it works well too.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

I got it back this mornin! Went ahead and mounted it with the 3-9 x 40 Tasco World Class Scope. I know its not the best but its all I could afford. It looks pretty good and im very impressed with the quality of the scope for the price. Here are some pics, let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails My new deer popper!!!-dscn1695.jpg   My new deer popper!!!-dscn1697.jpg   My new deer popper!!!-dscn1699.jpg   My new deer popper!!!-dscn1700.jpg   My new deer popper!!!-dscn1693.jpg  

Last edited by buckman11; 10-13-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.