HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ruger M77 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/39459-ruger-m77.html)

rewing 10-08-2003 04:37 PM

Ruger M77

My buddies just bought me a fine used Ruger M77 Mark II in 7mm Rem Mag.
It has a fixed 6x scope.
Haven' t shot it yet. Anyone out there got the skinny on this rifle?

Ruger-Redhawk 10-08-2003 05:01 PM

RE: Ruger M77

Rewing you must have some good buddies. The Ruger M-77 in 7mm RM is a nice rifle.Mine is the " All Weather" in that caliber.It shoots well and the accuracy is quite acceptable. I haven' t used any handloads in it yet.Mine however didn' t like the Federal Premium(or was it Classic?) Ballistic Tips.I' m sure you' ll be satisfied with your Ruger.Later on you might want to invest in a variable scope for it.If your trigger is heavy like most Rugers take it to a compentent smith and have a trigger job done.Good luck with your new toy.
Ruger Redhawk

akbound 10-09-2003 06:41 AM

For the better part of five years I carried an older SS Ruger 77 (skeletonized synthetic stock) while in Alaska. Though it was chambered in a different caliber, (.338 Winchester Magnum). That rifle spent many miles riding in an ATV gun boot and quite a number " a foot" with me. It gave me great service and I never experienced any problems or malfunctions with it. I had it topped with a 2.5 X 8 Leupold Vari-X III and the combination proved more than accurate enough to take advantage of all of the .338' s range. The load most commonly carried in it was Federal Premiums with 250 grain Nosler Partitions.

I had the trigger " cleaned up" by a competent gunsmith....and had him install a " standard swivel stud" on the forend with a spacer and nut inside the forend to secure the stud. This allowed me the use of a Harris bipod on Caribou hunts if I so desired.

All in all I was very confident with the rifle and pleased with its performance!

Good luck with your new rifle!

P.S. You got any more good buddies looking for a " new buddy" ? (Haha)

Grizzlybear 10-09-2003 09:11 AM

rewing-

I just got a M77 in 7mmRemMag this year, and it' s about to see it' s first hunting season. It' s basically Ruger-Redhawk' s gun, but with a Nikon 3-9X on it. It' s done fine at the range so far. I' ve been shooting the Federal Premium 160 gr Nosler Partitions, and the 150 gr Ballistic Tips, and both seem to work fine for me.

Good luck with it!!!!

oldelkhunter 10-09-2003 11:03 AM

I have had the old blue/walnut 77 tang safety 7 remmag and it was a good shooting gun. I now one the new all weather in 7 mag topped off with a Zeiss conquest and this may be one of the best shooting guns out of the box I have ever dealt with. The trigger from the factory was 5 1/2 lbs but for 35 bucks had it stoned down and modified and it now breaks at 3 lbs.... Good luck with it

Turc 10-09-2003 01:19 PM

I also have the M77 in 7mm Rem Mag topped with a Leupold VII 3X9. Loved everything about the setup but the trigger. Almost needed two fingers to pull it back. ;) Had my local gunsmith lighten it up a bit and its very sweet now.