Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
no powder 22lr in marlin model 60? >

no powder 22lr in marlin model 60?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

no powder 22lr in marlin model 60?

Old 08-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default no powder 22lr in marlin model 60?

i have some aguila 22lr with no powder and wanted to know if you can shoot them from a marlin 60, i have herd that 22 shorts will mess up the action and this has a shorter bullet. thanks to anyone who knows
Old 08-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Huh? They have no powder? If they are 22 shorts, they probably don't have enough poop to cycle a semi-automatic action. Look up the Marlin 60 and see what the manufacturer says it will shoot safely.

EDIT: I just googled the Marlin Model 60 Manual and it specifically starts out saying it's designed for 22 Long Rifle ammo only!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-09-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

my #60 is very particular, so my (guess) would be no.
anything "low noise or low power" will not eject correctly. even remington thunderbolts are kind of... "iffy."

i can say they love cci mini-mags though, hollow or round.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely no. I have a Model 60. .22 shorts will not cycle in it.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

TG
they do make those in 22lr but it is a primer only round. i have tried the "CS" quiet ammo, they are slightly shorter too. IF you get one to chamber it will almost always jam when fired.
and you are right, they don't have the power to cycle the action.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

The model 60 used to be marked 22lr,l,s, just like every other 22lr. Of course folks get pissed when it says it on the side and their gun won't work. Funny thing how folks had more common sense years ago. Yes they will safely work, they will feed normally from the tube. When you shoot they will not eject. You cycle the action and repeat. Same with a high velocity short or rat shot.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

there is a new style and an old style #60, the old style is 22lr ONLY.
i don't know much about the new one, if that's what he has...

on the old one, cycling the action manually is not going to help. you will still have to dig some (if not most) of those empty cases out. low power "quiet" ammo just doesn't have the power to push the action all the way back. when it snaps back forward, it tends to crush them in place like pop cans.

i also try to avoid cheap "dirty" ammo, mine gets gummed up pretty fast from that stuff.

trust me, get yourself some cci mini-mags...
gander mountain had a good deal on them recently. i don't remember how much, but i stocked up while i had the chance.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:40 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Are you sure a primer-only cartridge will even push the bullet out the barrel? If not, an uncycled action will be the least of your problems.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

well they are 22lr rounds but the bullet is a bit shorter and I dont care if i have to manualy have to cycle the action I just dont want it to mess somthing up, and I have shot them out of a single shot rifle of my uncles with no problems about coming out the barrel. thanks
Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by blaZer_2
well they are 22lr rounds but the bullet is a bit shorter and I dont care if i have to manualy have to cycle the action I just dont want it to mess somthing up, and I have shot them out of a single shot rifle of my uncles with no problems about coming out the barrel. thanks
The Aquila Colibri's can be incredibly dangerous to use in semiautomatic rifles.

These are a 22 long rifle loaded with only a 20grn bullet and propelled only by the primer.

When used in locked breech weapons like a single shot or bolt action, function is typical of any other load, even though they're incredibly low velocity - seems like I recall reading 300-400fps, even with the piddly 20grn pill. In sealed breech/locked bolt weapons, the primer has more than enough power to push the bullet out of the tube.

BUT...

In a blowback semiautomatic action, your bolt may open however slightly and the case may not obturate properly to seal the gases into the bore, so the breech blast vents too much power out the side. The bullet stops in the bore. Then the NEXT shot will sound a lot louder, and will often fully cycle as it slams the second bullet into a plugged bore.

Too late, damage is done.

I've seen this happen twice in my life - once in a Marlin 60, once in a Ruger Standard pistol (Mark I, before the Mark II or Mark III). Bulged the barrel in the Ruger.

So sure, in a single shot or bolt action, I don't mind playing with these, especially in a situation where I'm able to verify the bullet left the bore for every shot. But I'd never use one again in a semiauto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.