Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
If you had a 30-06 and won a 270 would u keep it? >

If you had a 30-06 and won a 270 would u keep it?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

If you had a 30-06 and won a 270 would u keep it?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Spike

I actually have the .270 my father gave me years ago(Remington 700) and his old Model 74 in 30-.06. The .270 loves 130gr and is most accurate with that gr weight and the 06' loves 180gr. I go cheap with power points for the 180gr as it is my close in shooter and they worked great for how many years on heavy game? Both guns mean so much to me I would never get rid of either with dad long gone. I might gift the 06' on the future to my nephew if he earns it. LOL Do I need both? No but I had done what Chuck talked about with out ever seeing the article a decade ago.

Ultimately, can you go wrong having both?????
Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I had a 270 and used it for many years and killed lots of deer with it plus a few antelope. I now use a 30-06. The 06 us a bit more versatile but nothing wrong with the 270. If you only want one, keep the 06.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Spike

Good idea to save the .270 for your son!

Personally I like a .270 better than the -06. The 270 is flatter shooting and depending on which load your shooting from the -06 your drop can vary quite a bit.

I currently have a 270 WSM, which I won also, and it is slightly different than the normal 270 but it is a Tikka and out of the box this is by far better than any rifle I have owned. I used to be a big Ruger fan and still am but since owning this Tikka it will be hard for me to switch back. The action is like butter, it shoots 3 shot groups at 200 I can cover with a nickel which is plenty more than acceptable for a hunting rifle.

If I would have bought this gun it would have been in a 7mm Rem Mag, which to me, IMHO, the best all around most versatile cartridge for North American big game hunting. You packs the punch of a magnum AND you have the flat shooting of a smaller caliber. Flatter still than the 270. Very similar to the 300 Win Mag when comparing projectiles other than minor differences to OAL the only major difference is slightly more powder in a 300.

Right now I have some raffle tickets at a chance to win either a Tikka 7mm rem Mag or a Winchester M70 in 257 Roberts. Hoping I win one of them.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cysroost
Good idea to save the .270 for your son!

Personally I like a .270 better than the -06. The 270 is flatter shooting and depending on which load your shooting from the -06 your drop can vary quite a bit.

I currently have a 270 WSM, which I won also, and it is slightly different than the normal 270 but it is a Tikka and out of the box this is by far better than any rifle I have owned. I used to be a big Ruger fan and still am but since owning this Tikka it will be hard for me to switch back. The action is like butter, it shoots 3 shot groups at 200 I can cover with a nickel which is plenty more than acceptable for a hunting rifle.

If I would have bought this gun it would have been in a 7mm Rem Mag, which to me, IMHO, the best all around most versatile cartridge for North American big game hunting. You packs the punch of a magnum AND you have the flat shooting of a smaller caliber. Flatter still than the 270. Very similar to the 300 Win Mag when comparing projectiles other than minor differences to OAL the only major difference is slightly more powder in a 300.

Right now I have some raffle tickets at a chance to win either a Tikka 7mm rem Mag or a Winchester M70 in 257 Roberts. Hoping I win one of them.

+1

a .270 & a 7mm would not be a bad way to go................

I use a .243 & my 7MM as back ups for each other.

Then again I consider my 7MM back-up for my .338 WM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

I would keep it.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

I had both and found mixed ammo in my back pack one deer season. Since I had much more 270 Win. cases bullets I got rid of the 06. Good idea to have a back up rifle. I am glad I had a backup rifle last deer season, fell on the ice with my .243 Win and right on the scope. Went back to get the .270 Win. and shot a doe . ALways have a backup.