Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bcm ar15 new mine >

Bcm ar15 new mine

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bcm ar15 new mine

Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

looking closer and getting a pic of the lower stamp I believe it is a dsa not a bsa
Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

from what iv read in a few minutes they make cheap lowers and well complete guns, but are a ok or some said very good quality. Im guessing he bought the stripped lower and had the trigger job done and put the bcm upper on it. Im now alittle worried, my guess is he bought it this way or had it built. I guess worst guess is a swap out the guts of the lower, but im betting its good to go. I cant get a scope or sights for week or so till I get back from indiana, so gonna be a fun wait. lmao imma bet my self if I bought a janked up ar knowing what I know and not shooting it before hand. my fault though, just like him not driving the truck that had 350000 miles on it, so I figure rebuild the lower is better then the day that engine went plus I had no use for the truck any more
Old 07-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

knowing what you all know now. What mags will be best to buy for it. Im thinking the newer plastic ones, I liked the mag puls that show how many rounds you got left.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Other than fit to the upper, problems with lowers are usually a pretty easy fix. Problems with uppers are generally more complicated and not always a cheap or easy fix.

Before I'd go modifying gas blocks and such, I'd get a feel for the rifle. The time to find it doesn't shoot for a hill of beans isn't after you've invested even more in it that what you already have.

I have no complaints about PMAGs, other than they're a little pricey. If you're proficient with mag changes, you don't need to worry about gimmicks like windows that tell you how many rounds are left. The spring and/or the follower are often the culprits when mags fail. Really cheap mags will have sheet metal problems, too. But generally, most GI mags will work just fine, provided you don't leave them loaded with 30 rounds for long periods of time or let them get full of dust and gunk. We didn't have PMAGs when I lived among the Kalashnikovians, GI mags worked just fine for me.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

True when we had our bushmasters heck 10 years ago dam im almost 30 lol we had 6 mags two new mags that came with our bushmasters 4 surplus gi mags. Never had a issue with them. We left ours loaded 24/7 (I knew less then then I do now). Still no issues. Iv never cared much bout round count though either. Prob just go with whats price best I did find the magpul plastics for like 14 bucks I think it was though. Im more concern with feed issues then plastic or steel so might buy one plastic and see how the do. My buddy bought cheapo plastic for his ak47 while he had a 1-2 round ftl with his steel the plastic would ftl or ftj bout 3-5 rounds per mag but that ak was a pos he traded it for a nice 2000 dodge 1500 lol
Old 07-23-2014, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

The issue with the gas block is its a flat top with the fixed front gas block. Im concerned with a scope clearing it and if I put iron sights on it I want a rear flip up not a carry handle
Old 07-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
The issue with the gas block is its a flat top with the fixed front gas block. Im concerned with a scope clearing it and if I put iron sights on it I want a rear flip up not a carry handle
You usually won't even really notice the front sight in the scope. You won't be mounting your scope on low or medium rings anyway unless your eyes are mounted in your nostrils. You'll be using some sort of riser, either in the rings themselves or the base. The "PEPR" style mounts have been very popular the last few years, but there wasn't anything wrong (well, nothing substantially wrong at least) with the pic riser blocks we all used to use. More and more uppers are coming with integral EOP's, but I'm assuming when you say 'flat top', you're talking about an A3, not an EOP upper.

Not saying there's any reason to not replace the gas-block, but having it in the way of a scope isn't a valid issue. Flip up rear sights are quite often the same height as the A2 carry handle sight would be, so they'd be compatible with the fixed front sight. As others have mentioned, occasionally you can get yourself in trouble by mounting the folding front sight to a flat top gas block, because it's shorter than the handguard rail that the folding sight was designed to ride. The solution is to use a sight riser, or an extra height gas block that mates up to the height of the handguard.

Interesting to find out it's a DSA Lower. I wouldn't buy one myself, but as others have mentioned, all you really need for an AR to shoot well is a good barrel and a good trigger, then the rest is just a matter of having a good smith fit all of the parts together to feed properly.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
We left ours loaded 24/7 (I knew less then then I do now)...
So what do you know now???
Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

More then some less the most. I do know now dont leave ur ar15 leaning up on ur seat in a nat park while cutting fire would on a known area for pot grown in kentucky. tends to make the game warden nervous