Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What to do what to do >

What to do what to do

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What to do what to do

Old 07-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is the pros and cons with the 308 or 3006. My understanding is the 308s flatter shooting and has more range
Old 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
What is the pros and cons with the 308 or 3006. My understanding is the 308s flatter shooting and has more range
Not sure this is accurate as the 30-06 has a longer case, the same bullet diameter and more case capicity. I would agree that ballistics are very similar but would think the '06 would have a slight advantage.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Could be I got them back wards if I go with a 700 itll likely be 3006 theonly gun iv always wanted and not had is a bolt action 3006 the reasoning for the ar was the 308 is both 308 and 7.62. I want a target done to but. Iv become a rather good shot over the years. Idk what it is but I can pick up a rifle pistol shotgun whatever and shoot dang good with it. Iv been wanting to get more into long range dead on target shooting. Like say 200-500 yards. Iv mastered the art of being good out to 200 and fast shooting. Feel now its not a challenge. I think id get more fun and a challenge out of the slow long range shooting more sniper type target shooting then the pop pop pop shooting with an ar plus ars like to blew alot of money through a mag quick
Old 07-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The choice is a personal one and only you can decide what to buy. As far as Florida is concerned, it is legal to use an AR for hunting. The only requirement is that the magazine can only hold five rounds. I have a 10 round magazine that I inserted a block of wood under the follower to limit capacity to five rounds. You said that you would like to be able to find affordable ammo for the gun you buy, have you considered an AR-15? You can buy a new Smith and Wesson M&P 15 for $599, which will leave you enough left over to buy a shotgun. There are several quality bullets that make the .223 a perfectly good deer and hog caliber. You'll be hard pressed to find cheaper ammo or reloading components than the .223/5.56mm.

It is also legal in Florida to carry a sidearm while hunting. If you have a concealed carry permit you can carry concealed, if not you are still allowed to open carry while either hunting or fishing. It would be wrong to keep you from carrying a backup sidearm, there are too many critters that can hurt or kill you down here.