Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage 212 or 220 Slug gun? >

Savage 212 or 220 Slug gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage 212 or 220 Slug gun?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I'm heading down to Central Illinois this weekend and will stop at one of the local gun stores and see if they have it. If everything looks good, I may just have to purchase it and pick it up in a month when I head back down there.

What slugs do you guys shoot? It sounds like 3" Remington Accutips are a popular load.

Funny, all the guys that always have good things to say on this forum and whose names I recognized responded to this. You guys always have wise and positive things to say on here so I think you just officially pushed my over the edge on my purchase!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems that the 3" Accutips from Remington work best, not to say the 2-3/4" doesn't nor any other brand. It seems to be somewhat easier to find the 3" Accutips these days then it was last year, but I would buy more then what you need, the closer we get to the season or end of summer the faster they will be off the shelves. Also get yourself a good quality scope, I really like the Leupold VX-2, 3-9x40, but Nikon is also good, Zeiss is excellent but the new Terra line is over priced and made in Asia and the reviews aren't as good as one would think when they here Zeiss, higher end Bushnell's are good. Also look into the the DNZ one piece scope mounts, I have it on my 220f and let me just say it's rock solid product # I have is 18200, also they make 182000S they are medium height and perfect bolt clearance, best price I saw is:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/18200?brand=530

Also if you or anyone is looking to upgrade the factory stock here are a few aftermarket ones:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/search...e+220+slug+gun

Last edited by BOWHUNTERCOP; 06-27-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Mine shoots 2 3/4" Accutips fine (couldn't find any 3" ones when I was siting in). I've also put a 3" Federal copper round through it and some sort of Winchester 3" (Silvertip??), and they shot fine as well. Didn't have as much luck with SST's. As I recall, Savage recommends 3 rounds in the owners manual (which I can't seem to find at the moment). One was the Accutip, one was a Federal round, and I don't remember the third (but it was not the SST, which I remember because it was recommended for the 212 but not the 220).
Mounting a scope is a little bit of a challenge. Due to the longer action (I think), the receiver is drilled a bit farther apart, so conventional mounts will be too far apart to attach to a conventional scope. I put a picatinny rail on mine (which I bought at EGW -- probably over engineered and more expensive than I needed for my purposes). The DNZ mount looks like a good solution.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry for the small picture, but here is my group at 100 yds. with my savage 220f using Remington Accutips 3", the group is dead center about 4" high
Attached Thumbnails Savage 212 or 220 Slug gun?-target-220.jpg  
Old 06-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

212 is what I have. A really good shooting slug gun with hornady slugs. My brother has a 220 and thinks it's as good as it gets
Old 08-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

A little late to the discussion. Have always. Used 12 guage until 2 seasons ago. Bought The 220 and have shot 5 deer over last 2 seasons with it, dropping 3 and the other 2 piled at 40 yds max. Had trouble finding the 3" accutips so have been using the Hornady SST's and have had good results. You will get diff performance out of diff slugs but I thing the gun is so good that it may not matter that much. Thanks Bowhuntercop did not know the accutips are more available. Anyway let us know what you got

Last edited by NJ Camo Man; 08-05-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, looking to pull the trigger on it here shortly. I found a 220 in camo but it says it only shoots 3" slugs. It doesn't say it won't shoot 2 3/4 but it just says 3" in the description. It's a 220 model #18828. Does anyone happen to know about this particular model and if it will shoot 2 3/4? I want to shoot 3" but just in case there is ever a shortage I want to be able to shoot the ever available 2 3/4 inch.

I've gone to a few different places and so far the camo version for $499 is the best deal I have found. I don't find many reviews for that model but hopefully its the same as the one most of you shoot. I just don't want to get caught buying a cheaper model and have any issues.

Also, Bowhuntercop, I found a VX1 3-9x by leupold for $180. I know you mentioned the VX2 was on yours. Any thoughts? I have a Leupold on my .270 that is about 20 years old and really like it. Wanted to see what your opinion was. I saw the Nikon Prostaff 3-9x for $115 and trying to decide on scopes now. Way too tough a decision!
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will shoot 2-3/4", & 3" !!! $499 is a fair price !!! They have different model numbers for the different finishes...Black stock/blue barrel, camo stock/blue barrel, camo stock/stainless steel barrel....They are all the same !!!! The VX-1 of today is as equal as the the VX-II of a few years ago, so you will be fine with it, get the one with a PLEX reticle, and the 3-9x40 is great. May I suggest the DNZ one piece mounts, I have part # 18200, perfect set up
Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

friend got the Savage 220f and Leupold scope with 3" Accutips back in December and finally got a chance to sight it in today.....He is sold, he loves it !!!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot the camo 220f and it will shoot 2 3/4 accutips like a lazer. I bought mine on line through Buds gun shop for $430 and then a $25 ffl transfer fee to the ffl guy. . click click pay done it was that easy!!! My gun was at my ffl in 2 days..

Last edited by MUZZY 100; 08-16-2014 at 06:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.