Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which gun??? >

Which gun???

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which gun???

Old 05-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Spike

For all you have listed that your rifle needs to do the one caliber that will fill your needs is the 30-06 rifle and even loaded with the lightest bullet it is still over kill on varmints, but ammo is certainly cheap for this caliber.

If you ever began to reload it will shoot all the light bullets the 308 does, but with more authority. The 30-06 will shoot 110 gr. bullets all the way to 220 gr for grizzly. Shooting 1000 yds will be boring using 208 gr AMAX bullets.

Biggest deer I;ve shot I was using 110 and 125 gr. bullets. But my go to bullet is 150 gr Remington Core-lokt. For elk you will be fine using 165 gr to 180 gr. bullets.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Really you need at least two rifles. Coyotes and white tail deer and some other critters a 243 or 7MM08 is ideal although the 7MM08 is border line for coyotes if you want to sell the hides and don't like to sew. Better if you hand load.
Elk and shooting the long distance the Winchester 300 Mag does fit the bill. Nag Na Port it to reduce the recoil to 243 levels with out the back blast of a brake.

You can reload a 110gr. varmiter bullet for it that may not tear up a coyote hide to bad.

Only way I see one rifle to do the whole list is to handload.

Al
Old 05-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Spike

I will be handloading as that is all I liked to use on my last rifle. I really want to stay out of the magnum rifles right now altho I will pry get one if I go elk or moose hunting.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the added info of: Handloading; No magnums right now, but getting one later for elk anyways-- I'd give a cartridge range of 243win - 30-06sprg. If you MAY need the rifle for elk, I'd bump the low end up to 260rem. My personal choices from this range: 243, 260, 7mm-08, 280.

The coyote skins are a challenge. The 243 is the best choice in the given range if you take your yote skins seriously. At the same time it's a proven deer round and one of my personal favorites to target shoot to 1000yds & beyond (not beyond by much though). It'll give the lowest barrel life of the short action choices, and many, if not most factory barrels won't shoot the big 105+gr VLD bullets. This decreases your choices of long range shooting bullets, in turn making the 243 more difficult to use at a distance. If you care less about coyote pelt damage and more about long range shooting with the possibility of elk, I would eliminate the 243.

In the short action realm, the 260 and 7mm-08 are better suited to elk (note caliber restrictions in states you may hunt elk in; a 243 can be & has been used in some states) and long range shooting, but will suffer from a lack of loading options for taking yotes less much pelt damage; if there are good yote options for bigger rifles like these, I don't know of them. I just stick to smaller rounds and haven't cared to do any R&D.

Now the 280. Add velocity to the 7mm-08 and voila. This will be the flattest shooting (bullet dependent) option for commercial cartridges in the given range, and suffer the least from wind drift. Useful for long range shooting. On the negative side, you will add weight from a long action, and 2-4" longer barrel. Something to consider if you do much walking when hunting. The 7mms are my favorites for long range shooting, and I've a healthy supply of 162gr amaxes for slingin' em far. These bullets haven't been produced in awhile but will be coming back according to Hornady. The 26cal may or may not be the better option for affordable and available long range bullets at this time.

I'm not much of a fan of the 30 calibers because they don't offer much for higher BC bullets for long range shooting until you get very heavy, and that makes them the most expensive for a given manufacturer. However, the 308 & 30-06 are obviously proven do-all rounds. The 308 is most noteworthy for its significant barrel life; I've read many reports of several thousand rounds. The money/time savings on barrel changes are something to consider.

Rifles. I prefer Remington 700s and Savage 11/111s. Savages have good aftermarket parts availability and offer easy in-home parts changes, including barrels--which are much more expensive and time-consuming on the Remmy with a 'smith involved. I'd choose a Savage if you like to tinker. Remingtons have the best aftermarket parts availability and IMO are more rugged. There are also barrel nut options out there for the 700s these days, and I've read promising results from some Remage nut users. I'm not sure I'll ever do it myself, but the option is there. On the Savage note, you can get a Stevens 200 cheaper. Essentially a plain Savage, they use the same parts. I've done a couple builds on 200 actions and they worked well. Several other makes and models of rifles out there are good options. I've just gone over what I prefer. Although heavy rifles are more ergonomic and solid for long range shooting and handle the heat of higher volume shooting better, I'd stick with buying a sporter weight rifle for now. This keeps your budget better balanced for optics & reloading supplies. If you want to, you can make changes towards a heavier gun with higher quality parts than most factory configurations later on. The guns usefulness for hunting goes down as weight goes up IMO, but I'm in mule deer country and have to walk a fair amount at home and am only a 2hr drive from elk hunting, which is about 2-3x as physically demanding.

Optics. The addition of long range shooting demands a scope with repeatable adjustment dials. I run Leupolds, and have 7 with turrets. My favorite do-all is a 3.5-10x40 with M1 elevation and windage dials. Buying used, you can expect to spend 400-550 on a vx3 or vari-x iii after sending them in for turrets, depending on the age and condition of the scope. I have 2 M8 6x42s with M1s. Also good options IMO, and save weight. They can be had for 175-250 used, and you'll have about $150 into putting M1 ele/windage dials on. I know there are other good options, but these are just what I have experience with and what should also fit in your budget.
A rangefinder is one of my most valuable tools. For the budget, I'd look into Bushnell Elites (1500, 1600arc, 1-mile arc). Used will help the price. They're all good enough to read hunting ranges in the field but higher end models are better for picking up readings on long range targets.

Last edited by Big Z; 05-27-2014 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you absolutely are stuck on a one rifle thing then the 30/06, .280, or 7mm rem mag are hard to beat. There are of course quite a few others that would fit the one rifle idea, but those are some good standards to go with.

However, I think you'd be best served with 2 rifles. And if they slightly overlap in the scope of their abilities so much the better.

Instead of going on a wide range from a much smaller rifle for the small stuff and the much bigger one for the large stuff, consider getting a medium caliber for the lower/medium end and another rifle for the medium/larger end. Maybe a 6.5 X 55 in a modern rifle and chamber and a .338 Win Mag for the upper end.

With a pair like this you could always compliment your gun safe later with something on the smaller and bigger end for the future. Maybe a 22-250 and a .375 H&H.

You have been given much advice but ultimately you'll need to get out and shoulder and shoot some examples to make sure you are going in a direction you like.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ms6852
Shooting 1000 yds will be boring using 208 gr AMAX bullets.
Really?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Spike

Big Z- Really you shoot a .243 at a thousand yards? I had heard they were only good for about 400 and then really drop off fast.

What is the opinion on a 25-06 for long range shooting?
Old 05-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

chambering is not to important, yes the 243 will make a grand, you need accuracy and a good bullet, and the knowhow to put them togather.
RR
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just about everything out there drops off pretty quick past 400yds. It's a different ball game and isn't something you'll just walk out and do right away (though you may surprise yourself your first go with the right tools). But yes, the 243 will definitely get there. They shine brighter from afar with a barrel twisted for heavies, but factory tubes and 87gr vmaxes can do nice things. I grab a 223 more than anything these days for target shooting up to around 800yds. Easy and affordable to shoot high volumes to practice.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the 25-06 as a hunting rifle, as it was my first. The downfall of the quarter bores, however, is the lack of bullets well-suited to long range shooting. The best I've used for the job is 115gr nosler ballistic tips. They've shot well for me, but they're nothing even noteworthy for LR shooting and are pricey for what you get. With LR in the mix of your intended applications, I'd stray from the 25-06...if you're going with a long action, I'd focus on the 280. JMO.

Last edited by Big Z; 05-27-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:52 AM
Spike

Good point. I found that out last night. I'm still trying to decide if I want long or short action. I lean toward short action more so I'll do some more looking at the 7mm-08.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.