HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Who made what? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/391825-who-made-what.html)

alleyyooper 05-20-2014 02:29 AM

Who made what?

I got a used Wards Westerner Field 16ga. pump shot gun for my 15th birthday. All Wards pump shot guns were not made by Mossberg either.

About 12 years ago I was talking to a friend a old gun smith about it. He gave me a couple sheets of paper that listed who made what shot gun . Some how I have managed to loose it. My brother just got a real nice J C Higgins shot gun and asked me if I knew who made it.

Any body have that list or know where I can find it. I just looked thru 3 pages of a google search with no luck.

:D Al

Pawildman 05-20-2014 12:26 PM

Get a recent copy of "The Blue Book of Gun Values". In the back there is a fairly extensive list of who made what for who. It also lists serial #'s/year for a lot of guns. A lot of good info back there...

Ridge Runner 05-20-2014 12:38 PM

google gun parts.com, they have a list by make and model of who made what
RR

Nomercy448 05-20-2014 06:18 PM

Ridge, are you talking Numerich? 'Cuz they have a cross reference table, and the web address is gunpartscorp.com

Which JC Higgins do you have? Not all of them were made by the same company. My first shotty was a JC model 20 12ga. Still take it out after dove and pheasants occasionally. Been long enough since I looked up who actually made it that I've now forgotten again, guess I gotta go look myself... Again...

alleyyooper 05-21-2014 02:35 AM

thanks

:D Al

westMDbowhunter 05-21-2014 04:14 AM

i have a montomery-ward single shot .410 :)
weird that theyre stamped with store name instead of manufacturer

Nomercy448 05-21-2014 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter (Post 4140635)
i have a montomery-ward single shot .410 :)

My J.C. Higgins is stamped Sears & Roebuck.

I also used to have a Montgomery-Ward Hercules SxS 16ga.

One of the heirloom firearms in my safe is an Iver Johnson Champion, which is stamped "Eric's Gun and Cycle Works". I'm a bit of a cyclist myself (hate admitting that - since I only ride a bike for triathlon), it makes me chuckle every time I read that receiver because I can't imagine any of the local bike shops offering guns on their shelves!! Filled with a bunch of liberal, new age health nut cyclist - I can't imagine a gun rack would go over very well!!!

westMDbowhunter 05-21-2014 01:42 PM

If it were still the same we would have "great value" brand pump lol an the shells would be in those big cheap cereal bags lol
I love the 410 because it's got such a tight pattern.
It's a real squirrel slayer haha and it's a great feeling having one.
I actually carry that gun more than any of my other shotguns.
It started happening slowly at first. I have 12 16 and 20 but that .410 is my go to
I really want a 28 and a 10. Just for kicks.

Big Uncle 05-23-2014 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by westMDbowhunter (Post 4140635)

It is still a common practice to rebrand products. Some brands do not have any manufacturing facilities at all, and simply buy from others and put their name on it (Vortex optics for example).

westMDbowhunter 05-23-2014 09:36 AM

So are some products branded differently but still the same exact product?
I imagine that would happen a lot
Or would some Asian company manufacture that one thing for that one brand?
I could see how it would be cost effective, Because anything shipped from Asia under a certain weight costs pennies to ship to the us. Some kind of trade agreement or something.