Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
point of impact >

point of impact

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

point of impact

Old 05-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default point of impact

about a month ago my 300wm's point of impact moved up about 2". didn't matter which ammo i was shooting-when compared to previous groups the impact was about 2" higher than the previous groups. i went to a gun smith and he checked it out and torgued the rings-nothing else. told me to try that and see how it worked. i resighted and shot fine for probably 40 rounds and now it is high again. i am thinking there has to be something loose in the scope setup. the groups do seem to be holding up fairly well just moving high.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

I went through this awhile back and it was a forearm issue. But yours sounds more like a scope issue if the groups are staying 2" high and not moving back to original zero. Try a box test on your scope. Start out with a zero impact shot then turn your elevation one full revolution up take a shot, then one full revolution right take a shot, then one full revolution down take a shot and finally one full revolution left and take a shot..... If you want to save ammo just do the first shot and the last shot. But I like shooting all five shots to see if the scope is moving close to published MOA. If the scope is okay it will put the first shot and the last shot relative close to each other human error is always a factor.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wood stock? maybe it warped.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

is it bedded? wood changes with conditions, hardwoods change more than laminates, the best way to make it consistant is to bed the action and recoil lug and float the barrel.
all my rifles are bedded and floated, they change a bit once in awhile, like 1/4 moa.
RR
Old 05-17-2014, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Give a different scope a try, that will eliminate the scope if the different one does the same.

Al
Old 05-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

First - POI can change from shooting a cold clean barrel VS. a dirty warm/hot barrel.

Also most people "tap" their scope once they "click" their turrets - some "click" 6 times in one direction and then "click" 2 times in the opposite direction to move the POI for 4 "clicks" (for 1/4 " at 100 yards).

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-17-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Spike

Your screws might be coming a bit loose as you shoot. The 300wm has quite a pop to it and might be wiggling your screws loose if you aren't using Loctite. If that's not the problem, it might be time for a new scope.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

my first gun when I was 18 was a 30 30. it did this and cost me a big buck. I was new to guns and a good gun shop pointed out to me it was the scope. Infact the shop owner said givin it was gun season I had bought my tags and hunting gear from him he would help me out. He went in his back 10 minutes later come out and had put a new scope on it for me(well used scope) said thanks for your business and just come back next time. I was broke and bought lost my season, and he helped me. I bought every gun, gun related or hunting related item from it the entire time I lived in kentucky. Still go there when I drove through. 10 years later he still remembers me.