HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Need help with the kids (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/391300-need-help-kids.html)

j76 04-28-2014 04:53 AM

Need help with the kids

I have 2 boys, 6 and 7 that are really wanting to get into hunting and love shooting. A couple years ago i got them a little T/C 22 and this past christmas got them a savage 243 axis youth. They are both doing great with safety, and accuracy. I have no doubt that by this fall they will be ready for small game and deer for the oldest. But i have one big problem holding them back, they both really struggle finding the target in the scope. They do ok with a target setting out in the wide open, but a squirrel in a tree or a deer in the woods is gonna be a problem for them.
Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas that i might try to help them with this problem? Thanks!

Bullcamp82834 04-28-2014 08:04 AM

Provided the eye relief on the scope is right and they don't have to crawl the stock to get a full field of view all I can think of is that practice and experience will take care of the problem over time.

deercreekhunter 04-28-2014 08:08 AM

How about a Red Dot scope. I had one on a 22 and it worked great on small game. Also when I was a kid, my dad made me learn how to shoot with open sights and would only let me use single shot guns. This helped me develop good shooting skils and also with the single shot you learned to make your first shot count. Great to see that your kids are into hunting. Good luck to you and your boys!

Ridge Runner 04-28-2014 11:21 AM

it just takes practice, see the target, raise the rifle pointed where your looking, it will become automatic with experience, a lower powered scope may help. but experience is best
RR

Topgun 3006 04-28-2014 06:09 PM

This may be a dumb question, but are they keeping both eyes open until they get the rifle pointed near the target before they actually look through the scope and then use their dominant eye?

homers brother 04-29-2014 03:48 AM

Patience.

Given their age, their "difficulty" isn't that uncommon. I've found that because of eye relief issues, scopes aren't always the best idea when it comes to getting kids used to lining everything up for a shot. So, my youngest is cutting her teeth on irons and she's surprised me. It doesn't take long for them to pick it up.

alleyyooper 04-29-2014 04:12 AM

I agree with TG 3006, learn to shoot with both eyes open just like using a shot gun. Also taking them to the woods a lot and allowing them to see the game in their natural settings.
My kids learned to shoot with peep sights and the daughter now nearly 40 still does.

:D Al

8mm/06 04-29-2014 04:46 AM

If they have been doing fine with irons so far, try them in the woods with irons. Young eyes are amazingly good at using peeps and other irons. With little instruction and ample instruction they will have fun and get pretty good ... as you already mentioned.

Or, as was already suggested, make sure the scope power is low (no higher than 4 anyway) . Both eyes open is also great.

But practice and time is the key.

You are in a great spot anyway, with eager kids who already have the safety bug going for them.

Good luck with those young hunters. Kudo' to you for helping your kids and the sport.

buck308 04-29-2014 08:58 AM

Practice practice practice

CZ2506 04-29-2014 10:14 AM

Are you sure the scopes are focused for their eyes and not yours? I assume that your profile pic is one of your boys, and I notice he is wearing glasses. I wore glasses when I was a kid and also struggled with sight pictures until I started adjusting my own focus. It got a lot better after that. Of course, by then I also had a lot more practice. Might be worth checking.