Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Compensating for kick on a shotgun >

Compensating for kick on a shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Compensating for kick on a shotgun

Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the help.

I figured out a large part of my problem was gun mount. I've fixed that and it's much better. I'm going tomorrow to look for a Limbsaver or Kick-eez to replace the pad on the pump gun, and while I'm in there I'll look at a vest.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Barefoot Friar
Thanks for all the help.

I figured out a large part of my problem was gun mount. I've fixed that and it's much better. I'm going tomorrow to look for a Limbsaver or Kick-eez to replace the pad on the pump gun, and while I'm in there I'll look at a vest.
awsome good hunting..lets hope your filling stay in one spot from now on.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

An 1100 that's kicks THAT hard? You need to shoot an 835 with 2.5oz Nitros then you'll LOVE the ol 1100!
Attached Thumbnails Compensating for kick on a shotgun-image.jpg  
Old 04-18-2014, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Rem 870 12 ga that I mainly use for bird hunting, but every year a couple of months before bird season I take it to the skeet range and shoot a box or two with it each week. Even with an extended stock and a Limbsaver pad that match my competition Trap and skeet guns, the recoil of that 870 was bothering me and bruising my cheek.

I then installed a mechanical recoil reducer in the stock and that took the bite out of that gun.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

The best way to mitigate felt recoil is to find a shotgun with a stock that fits you as perfectly as possible.

OR

Have a gunsmith cut your stock down (or add a pad for extra length) to get that length of pull just right. Too much drop in the stock isn't normally a problem with shotguns today but may be on older guns.

Bottom line is if the gun doesn't fit right and heavy loads are used it's not going to be much fun and you aren't going to shoot as well as you would if it did fit you.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your having that much of an issue with recoil I'd suggest going with a 28 gauge.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:26 AM
Spike

Turned out it was mount. I fixed that and haven't had a problem since.

It was also, to a much smaller degree, the shell I was shooting, and compounded by the fact that I was shooting from the bench. I don't have a lead sled, so I was taking all of the recoil myself (in the wrong spot, mind you) and I couldn't rock back with it like I can when I'm standing or kneeling free. The shell was a 1-7/8oz #5 turkey load rated at 1500 ft/sec. MV (I think). So a high recoil shell, a bench rest, and mounting in the wrong spot. No wonder I wasn't getting the patterns I wanted.

I fixed the mount and the rest fell into line behind it. Borrowed someone's lead sled and got the patterns I wanted out of both the 1100 and the Rem 870 (turned out to be different rounds in each, which isn't unexpected). Shot several at the range like I would in the turkey woods with both guns, and bingo. No pain. Both of them still kick like crazy compared to the #7 bird shot I shoot varmints with, but it's very managable. I'm especially impressed with the 870.

ETA: I'm still going to get a new pad for the 870. I'm thinking Limbsaver, but I've handled some of the Remington SuperCell pads and I like them. I may actually try that first.