Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cabelas

Old 03-14-2014, 04:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default cabelas

cabelas was running a special on the savage long range hunters. $150 off-didn't post actual price. i was wanting a 300wm but they only had a 6.5 284 in stock. i asked if they could transfer one in from another store. after checking the clerk said he thought he could. i asked how much it would be and he showed me the tag on the one on the shelf and said that would be it-$649.88. it came in yesterday and after doing the paper work and picking out the scope they had a price on the gun of $799.88. $150 more than the price i was quoted. the gun got here after the sail was off but the rack gun is still there at the 649 price. they tell me that is below their cost which i feel is irrelevant. if they don't come thru with the quoted price i am thinking i will not pay the higher price and let them keep the gun. what are your thoughts? i have always had good success shopping at cabelas and truly hope it doesn't come to that.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's not the way Cabelas has done business over the years, but now that it's a public company and they're branching out all over with these smaller stores, stuff like you're mentioning may start happening. I'd ask for the store manager and if they won't sell you the gun that came in for the price it was at during the sale days when you ordered it, then tell them to stick it where the sun dont shine and you're posting it all over the hunting websites, which is exactly what I would do! They have been a great company that gets a lot of my business because of their customer service and return policy more than for their pricing, which isn't that great if you're looking to save a lot of money. If they start going downhill with BS like you're mentioning, they'll lose my business. It's just that simple with lots of other competitors out there you can deal with.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-14-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Sounds more like some crap Gander mountain would do to me.

Should have gotten it written up to begin with and have a call when rifle arrives note on the recite.

Al
Old 03-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

I'd get ahold of somebody at corporate. You may or may not get your original deal but I'd bet you get one better than almost $800 (which is still a good price btw since msrp is around $1100).
Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

$650 is a freakin steal! If you get it for that price then get two and I'll take one!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cabelas USED to transfer firearms between stores, operating as if the firearms inventory was all one giant system. The yellow box on the webpage for each firearm used to have a phone number for the central entity that would help get your firearm to a proper store for you to pick it up.

That is NOT the way they operate anymore.

Now, they work like like separate gunshops. You can call and buy a gun from a store out of state, and they can check eachothers inventories, but they TECHNICALLY don't do intra-company transfers. I recently went through this while buying a revolver out of a Cabelas in MN, I called the Cabelas 3miles from my house and asked if he could order the firearm I wanted, they could, but it was not going to be the same price as the same firearm on the shelf at the store in MN. The reasoning behind that was that it's NOT coming out of their inventory, it's a "special order firearm." (Even though I knew the guy was going to order it from the store in MN and pocket the difference, 'cuz that's the only one around to be found). The procedure was to pay by phone to the store in MN, and get it FFL transferred to the store here in Wichita.

Since Cabelas charges $75 for FFL transfers and I have a general distaste for many of the policies (and lies) that Cabelas considers standard practice, so I had it sent to a local FFL that I've done business with for many years.

Long story short, buying a firearm from one Cabelas and getting it shipped to your local cabelas is 1) NOT like other products where they ship intra-company freely, and 2) EXACTLY the same as if you bought it from a separate entity and simply had it transfered to that local Cabelas.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Cabelas USED to transfer firearms between stores, operating as if the firearms inventory was all one giant system. The yellow box on the webpage for each firearm used to have a phone number for the central entity that would help get your firearm to a proper store for you to pick it up.

That is NOT the way they operate anymore.

Now, they work like like separate gunshops. You can call and buy a gun from a store out of state, and they can check eachothers inventories, but they TECHNICALLY don't do intra-company transfers. I recently went through this while buying a revolver out of a Cabelas in MN, I called the Cabelas 3miles from my house and asked if he could order the firearm I wanted, they could, but it was not going to be the same price as the same firearm on the shelf at the store in MN. The reasoning behind that was that it's NOT coming out of their inventory, it's a "special order firearm." (Even though I knew the guy was going to order it from the store in MN and pocket the difference, 'cuz that's the only one around to be found). The procedure was to pay by phone to the store in MN, and get it FFL transferred to the store here in Wichita.

Since Cabelas charges $75 for FFL transfers and I have a general distaste for many of the policies (and lies) that Cabelas considers standard practice, so I had it sent to a local FFL that I've done business with for many years.

Long story short, buying a firearm from one Cabelas and getting it shipped to your local cabelas is 1) NOT like other products where they ship intra-company freely, and 2) EXACTLY the same as if you bought it from a separate entity and simply had it transfered to that local Cabelas.
***If that's the case and they've changed the policy, then they should be up front when a person does what the OP asked to do and told him exactly what was going on. I'll stick with my earlier suggestion and say to go up the ladder to at least the store manager and if they are interested in maintaining their reputation with the customer and want to keep a good name out there they will make good on the deal even if the person the customer initially dealt with was wrong, didn't know the current policy, or didn't explain it properly to the customer. $150 to them is chicken feed compared to the good will and bad publicity. I'd like to know how many millions of dollars they spend just in catalogs and fliers alone in a given year now, as I get at least one a week and sometimes two or three different ones in one day. When my wife brings in the mail she just shakes her head as she hands it to me and I know what it's going to be. I will say that their fliers specifically say the prices for the items in it are only at that specific store near you that is shown on it.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-14-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***If that's the case and they've changed the policy, then they should be up front when a person does what the OP asked to do and told him exactly what was going on.
In an ideal world, sure, but Cabelas stores are a lot more closely related to Walmart than they are a proper gun shop. Specifically, Kansaswiderack's Cabelas here in Wichita is only a few years old, and most of the guys working there haven't been with them very long.

These guys would have no idea that the policy had changed, because they weren't around for the old policy. I've worked with that store, specifically several times, and there is LITERALLY only one guy there that is worth a d@mn for anything besides buying something off of their shelf (forget his name, but have him in email contacts).

They're also next to clueless when it comes to firearms. Go ask them whether a certain bolt rifle is push feed or CRF, or better yet, pull the slide off of a pistol and lay it on the counter.

They're walmart workers with tan shirts.

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I'll stick with my earlier suggestion and say to go up the ladder to at least the store manager and if they are interested in maintaining their reputation with the customer and want to keep a good name out there they will make good on the deal even if the person the customer initially dealt with was wrong, didn't know the current policy, or didn't explain it properly to the customer. $150 to them is chicken feed compared to the good will and bad publicity. I'd like to know how many millions of dollars they spend just in catalogs and fliers alone in a given year now, as I get at least one a week and sometimes two or three different ones in one day. When my wife brings in the mail she just shakes her head as she hands it to me and I know what it's going to be. I will say that their fliers specifically say the prices for the items in it are only at that specific store near you that is shown on it.
Again, they're walmart. They could care less about one person. They're the biggest outdoor's outfitter, and losing one customer isn't going to hurt them. Frankly, most folks that say they're swearing off a given shop will be shopping there again within 6months. One guy complaining online will not constitute any impact for bad publicity, it's like me complaining about Obama, sure doesn't mean he'll get kicked out of office... Like you said, they spend millions of dollars just on mailer advertising, losing one customer FOR LIFE and his entire family won't even match their electricity bill across all the stores for the quarter.

Secondly, they're walmart... Even the management staff at a given store doesn't usually have the authority to approve deviations from corporate policy and pricing. The only real autonomy in pricing their stores have are found in their flyers and a few annual sales that aren't universal across the platform. Even then, the deals aren't that good.

Beyond all that, this situation just doesn't have legs to stand on. They're following their policy, even if the retards behind the counter at their store aren't 100% sure what that policy might be. Special order firearms don't match sale price firearms on their shelf. And ANY order of a firearm, whether it gets shipped from another Cabelas store or not, constitutes a special order, since all of the stores gun counters operate autonomoously.

Frankly, I also wouldn't be complaining about $800 for the 111 LRH NIB. That's a couple hundred below MSRP, and it's $140 below the LOWEST price shop I know of in the rest of the state, which is over an hour from KSWR (I didn't take the time to price check the other lowest shop I know of, since he's 5hrs away). I'm F'ing baffled at the $650 on the 6.5-284 version, if it were a stainless gun, I'd drive into town and buy that right now myself.

Now, if they ordered it in and said they'd match the price of the one on their shelf, and you had that in writing before you ordered (reflected in your down payment possibly), then that's another story, but that's not what I'm reading?

Last edited by Nomercy448; 03-14-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

They could care less about one person.
Good thing they could not care less about one person.

Cabelas generally does a good job, but if you are expecting experts at the gun or optics counters you will end up sadly disappointed. I can make the same statement about almost every gun and optics counter, even specialty shops.

The things that I have seen and heard at various LGS have included: "A .458 WM is the perfect long range rifle because it is powerful enough to shoot from ridge to ridge", "IMR 4350 has been discontinued because the manufacturer went out of business", "A Winchester Model 70 is now called the Model 60, so that 70 must be really old", "A used rifle is always better than a new one because it is broken in", etc.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Good thing they could not care less about one person.
My wife gives me $hit for saying "could care less" all the time instead of "could NOT care less"....

My response to her is that "I could care less"....

I'm not particularly bashing, nor supporting Cabelas, but let's not mistake what they are. It's a business, and they know how to run it a lot better than we do, whether we like how it runs or not.

I had the local cabelas tell me that their signs at the checkout that said we could only buy 3 boxes of any given type of ammo was a "FEDERAL law"... I laughed and said "no, no it's really not". It might be "corporate policy", which I respect, but the girl said with certainty that it was a FEDERAL LAW.

I'd wonder if that 6.5-284 was an inventory hold over (not sure why 6.5-284 rifles don't seem to move around here) from lower prices a few years ago, or maybe it's a model change that signified a price change. In which case I'm amazed that they didn't raise the price when prices rose, but maybe it got overlooked. $650 for the 111 LRH is baffling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.