Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Kimber 84M - 7mm-08 expected accuracy? >

New Kimber 84M - 7mm-08 expected accuracy?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Kimber 84M - 7mm-08 expected accuracy?

Old 03-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Okay going to try this posting a picture that is I've forgotten how. Anyway this is a three shot group out of my Ruger No 1 300 win mag. It has a 26" barrel in standard sporting contour all factory. It started having a lot of issues even stringing shots 7" in a straight verticle line. But it used to not shoot like that something changed. I tried everything including changing powder bullet weight and even shooting without forearm on rifle. I ended up sandwiching the barrel to the stock with a thin piece of rubber between it. Plastic was okay and the brass shim helped with stringing but the best groups were with the rubber. 3 shots under 2" at 300 yards I'm not complaining a bit for a standard hunting rifle. I may tinker some more but I don't know what I can expect out of a standard hunting rifle. Good enough to put it in the ole pumper.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BTM
Not sure if it'll work for you, but my Kimber Montana .308 tightened up when I installed one of those Limbsaver rubber donuts on the barrel.
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked on midway today and saw that they had one for $9.99. I decided for the price it was worth a try.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jr97
Thanks for the suggestion. I looked on midway today and saw that they had one for $9.99. I decided for the price it was worth a try.
+1

I've used one with good results.

You may have to find the best placement on the barrel for the "damper"........................
Old 03-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
+1

I've used one with good results.

You may have to find the best placement on the barrel for the "damper"........................
I read some reviews that said the same thing.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

IMO, besides the silvertips, the ammo your using is not the best choice for accuracy. Hornady hotrods these, and sometimes it works, but mostly not.

I would try federal with 140gr gamekings if you don't handload. I have seen many get good results with it.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jr97
duct tape a rock to it, you'll get the same results
RR
Old 03-21-2014, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
duct tape a rock to it, you'll get the same results
RR
Duct tape and a rock does sounds cheaper ??

I'd try it, if it works (?); but I'd want it to be a small rock - LOL

Try the rubber "donut" first........................IMHO

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.