Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
guns and whitales >

guns and whitales

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

guns and whitales

Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
& just HOW is Obammy & his lapdog Holder gonna know? I wouldn't let some trumped up, silly regulation get between my hunting & a bud who reloads! Having an illegal weapon is one thing but paying a trusted bud to reload a box or two ain't nothin to worry about.
Ain't "Obammy's" idea. Been on the books a long, long time.

It breaks down like this:

You need some ammo rolled, you pay your buddy to reload it for you. Seems all well and good...

But YOU didn't commit the federal offense, YOUR BUDDY DID. Now I have some buddies that I'd take a bullet for, if it came to that, but that's not the situation here. In this case, YOU'D walk free, maybe get some ammo confiscated, and YOUR BUDDY would be brought up on federal charges. It's a violation of FFL status, so he might as well be illegally trafficking firearms across state lines, or illegally manufacturing firearms or class III weapons in that case. The manufacturer of the ammo is the one that assumes the liability. He'll be the one that pays the fines or does the time, and he'll be the one that can't ever own a firearm again.

Sure, I'd play with my own SKS to make it slam fire and rattle off a 30rnd mag in 3sec - as you said, who's going to know? But I wouldn't be willing to commit the same crime for a buddy that would be held harmless.

It's simple enough, you buy the supplies, provide it to the reloader, and whatever level of "compensation" you decide upon needs to be bartered, at best.

I've been working that game for over 10yrs. Been through the books by the letter since I didn't want to lose my FFL, lose my guns, or get put in the clink. You can't reload for profit without an ammo manufacturers FFL (which I did not have at the time).
Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
You can't reload for profit without an ammo manufacturers FFL (which I did not have at the time).
You are absolutely right. To clarify it does not have to be for actual profit, but for a profit motive - including any act that can be interpreted as such. Any form of compensation, cash or otherwise, gives rise to this problem and a mirrored problem with the IRS.

Nobody ever said it was fair.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

"& just HOW is Obammy & his lapdog Holder gonna know? I wouldn't let some trumped up, silly regulation get between my hunting & a bud who reloads! Having an illegal weapon is one thing but paying a trusted bud to reload a box or two ain't nothin to worry about."

***That has to rank right up there as one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this or any other hunting website!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

& just HOW is Obammy & his lapdog Holder gonna know? I wouldn't let some trumped up, silly regulation get between my hunting & a bud who reloads! Having an illegal weapon is one thing but paying a trusted bud to reload a box or two ain't nothin to worry about.

Now personally I think a 338WM in a 18" barrel is kinda like pullin 2 spark plugs off the 8cyl in a vette... WHY? If you are wanting a short, quick, hard hitting med bore boltgun then consider a 35 Whelen! The 338WM is a GREAT cartridge but the 18" tube is really just not what that type of cart needs to shine.
i suppose thats also a consideration..thanks nomercy i didnt know my buddy would take the hit..am i corect in thinking i could buy him the reloading supplies and have hime reload them for me?? i may have misuderstood
Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cammogunner
i suppose thats also a consideration..thanks nomercy i didnt know my buddy would take the hit..am i corect in thinking i could buy him the reloading supplies and have hime reload them for me?? i may have misuderstood
It's a technicality, but yes, you can buy components and have him reload them for you. Especially if you're present and learning/helping. (Just be careful not to be a distraction, of course - a reloading bench should be clutter-free and distraction-free for safety). I've reloaded for other guys in this way for over a decade now.

You can also technically "rent reloading equipment" from your buddy if he'd give you access to reload your own ammo. But personally, I don't want anybody touching my reloading bench but me. I don't even let my wife run the press if I'm not watching over her (she's only been at it for 2yrs, but she's a very capable and scrutinizing reloader).
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another option for you just occurred to me, that you might consider.

After you have your load development done and you have your selected load in hand, one huge component of the time spent reloading is case preparation. The tools for case prep are quite inexpensive. You could buy the case prep tools, do the prep work yourself, then buy the components and have your buddy do the actual reloading for you. That would limit how much time he actually has to spend pressing your rounds (especially if he has a properly set up turret or progressive press). Saves you the expense of buying all of the reloading kit, saves him the time of handling all of your brass.

To do your case prep, you'd need:

Lee hand press - $50
Lee Universal decapping die - $12
Case tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner - $55-110 for entry level
Media or cleaning solution - miniscule cost per batch of brass cleaned
Lee COAL gauges - $10 or less
Lee Cutter and lock-stud - $10 or less
Lee Chamfer tool - $4
Combo neck brush - $10
Primer pocket cleaner - $10

That investment of $160-200 would let you do everything you'd need to do to get your brass ready to hand him clean, deprimed brass, bullets, primers, and powder, and let him start cranking out rounds straight away.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

my dad used to have an old 35 wheelin he bought for elk huntin in colorado. he kept it for a few years after that to use as his whitetail gun. and to keep from ruinin the meat he just shot them in the neck. he got to where he could shoot them in the neck at 200-300 yds. he still swears to this day that, that old 35 wheelin was the best gun he ever owned.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

NoMercy I didn't say they should go into business in their living room and start loading TRUCKLOADS of ammo for resale. I simply stated that paying a bud a couple few extra $$$ for him supplying a non-handloader a box or two of ammo is NOTHING to worry about! I know dang well Obammy and Holder didn't write the laws, but it's THEM 2 that are hellbent on nabbing gunowners right now!

Living in fear of the a##clowns in Washington is the first step to this country falling...
Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Moving right along, back to the topic at hand.

I'd be torn between two calibers. 45/70 or 375H&H. I have a pair of 1895's, one is a Marlin 1895SS, and the other is an remlin 1895GS. I'd almost go with the 1895SS between the two levers. The 375 is a tack driver, pleasant shooting, and can easily take on anything on this continent, and overseas for that matter. '06 trajectory to boot. I roll my own ammo, so not a big issue there either.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know dang well Obammy and Holder didn't write the laws, but it's THEM 2 that are hellbent on nabbing gunowners right now!

Living in fear of the a##clowns in Washington is the first step to this country falling...
Or maybe the first step in the country's falling is when ignorant folks intentionally disobey EXISTING LAWS, giving the anti-gunowner administration RIGHTFUL POWER to take their guns?

With gun-rights dwindling, and riding on the edge of a cliff as it is, why in the world would you encourage someone to break federal laws? Breaking the law is still breaking the law, regardless of whether you're selling dimebags or kilos, and the opportunity for the anti-gun left to gain momentum because someone didn't think they'd get caught for small change stuff is real. Nobody would know if I stopped on the back road and shot that huge buck I saw last week, nobody would know if I snuck a couple candybars out of Walmart in my pocket, nobody would know if I didn't count cash income on my taxes, nobody would know if I took my neighbors chainsaw out of his shop when he forgot to close his garage when he left for work one day, nobody would know if I drove 3 miles home after about 3 too many beers, nobody would know if I just drove off after backing into a car outside the post office... But the fact that nobody would know doesn't make any of it right or make any of it legal. You're willingly becoming part of the problem.

Disrespect for the law is what makes even honest lawmakers with GOOD INTENTIONS tighten their grip and take away more and more rights. Right-minded lawmakers are on the law-abiding gun owners side. When you're not a law-abiding gun owner, nobody is on your side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.