Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
guns and whitales >

guns and whitales

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

guns and whitales

Old 03-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
18" barrel with a .338win mag, bold.

What custom action for the 338?
Probly something like a winchester 70 or maybe a remmy 700.. yea a 338 win mag in an 18 inch barell is a lil. Stout I like my guns handy.. lol
Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer, moose, elk all get the same treatment 270 Weatherby magnum. Love the 45 70 too. Ain't nutten needs a second shot out of either one.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cammogunner
Probly something like a winchester 70 or maybe a remmy 700.. yea a 338 win mag in an 18 inch barell is a lil. Stout I like my guns handy.. lol
Not really thinking of it being "stout" or "handy", more curious as to how you arrived at a 338win mag with only an 18" tube?

Seems like you'll be giving up quite a bit of velocity and sacrificing a lot of powder to useless muzzle blast, only for the benefit of about 3oz of barrel (2" of .338" bore standard weight barrel) compared to "guide length" .338WM's - typically 20", with 23 and 24" being "standard length".

Can't capitalize on that much case capacity out of an 18" tube, even the 20" Guide Gun's in the WM have quite a bit of blast. Might as well save yourself some powder and run a smaller case, like a .338Federal (.308win based case) or a .338 A Square or even .35 Whelen (both '06 based cases). The Fed and A-square both run roughly the same max pressure as the Win Mag, but have significantly lower powder volumes. The difference being they'll have less flame out front, and about the same velocity out of an 18" tube as the WM. The Fed might run a touch slower, but I'd be surprised to see much difference in an 18" barrel without some fancy reloading footwork between the A-square and the WM in such a short tube.

I went through this same work up about 18mos ago in planning a 16" 3 cartridge switch barrel rig (22cal, 6.5mm-30cal, and 338" all from one receiver). The big 338 bore cases just have too much volume to get used up in short barrels. I know a couple guys that have 14-16" 338Edge and 338AX bolt action pistols, the flames out front are huge, and the velocities are a LONG ways behind rifle loads. Sure, it's cool, and it's straight forward, but there are more logical options. For me, it came down to a choice between a 20" barrel instead of 16" in the .338WM, or a 16" tube in 338-06. (Won't get into discussing the hurdles of magazines/feeding/boltfaces to match it all up).
Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd pick my Savage Bolt-action 7mm-08 using a Leupold Rifleman matte-black 3x9x40mm scope with 140 grain bullets!
Old 03-05-2014, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Nomercy448;4126354]Not really thinking of it being "stout" or "handy", more curious as to how you arrived at a 338win mag with only an 18" tube?

Seems like you'll be giving up quite a bit of velocity and sacrificing a lot of powder to useless muzzle blast, only for the benefit of about 3oz of barrel (2" of .338" bore standard weight barrel) compared to "guide length" .338WM's - typically 20", with 23 and 24" being "standard length".

Can't capitalize on that much case capacity out of an 18" tube, even the 20" Guide Gun's in the WM have quite a bit of blast. Might as well save yourself some powder and run a smaller case, like a .338Federal (.308win based case) or a .338 A Square or even .35 Whelen (both '06 based cases). The Fed and A-square both run roughly the same max pressure as the Win Mag, but have significantly lower powder volumes. The difference being they'll have less flame out front, and about the same velocity out of an 18" tube as the WM. The Fed might run a touch slower, but I'd be surprised to see much difference in an 18" barrel without some fancy reloading footwork between the A-square and the WM in such a short tube.

I went through this same work up about 18mos ago in planning a 16" 3 cartridge switch barrel rig (22cal, 6.5mm-30cal, and 338" all from one receiver). The big 338 bore cases just have too much volume to get used up in short barrels. I know a couple guys that have 14-16" 338Edge and 338AX bolt action pistols, the flames out front are huge, and the velocities are a LONG ways behind rifle loads. Sure, it's cool, and it's straight forward, but there are more logical options. For me, it came down to a choice between a 20" barrel instead of 16" in the .338WM, or a 16" tube in 338-06. (Won't get into discussing the hurdles of magazines/feeding/boltfaces to match it all up).[/QUOTE

i guess your right i think i will change over to the 338 06 i dont reload and really didint know if the cartridge would actully suffer that much in an 18 inch barrel
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

7MM Rem Mag

Shoots as flat as a .270 and hits like a .30-06.

I'm good with that !
Old 03-06-2014, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i guess your right i think i will change over to the 338 06 i dont reload and really didint know if the cartridge would actully suffer that much in an 18 inch barrel
If you do not reload you may want to rethink the 338-06 and pick a cartridge for which you can actually find ammunition.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Big Uncle;4126850]If you do not reload you may want to rethink the 338-06 and pick a cartridge for which you can actually find
ammunition.[/QUO

true but i know a guy who reloads so if i don't get into it i could just pay him to reload them for me.i want to reload but the startup cost to do so puts me off
Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
If you do not reload you may want to rethink the 338-06 and pick a cartridge for which you can actually find
ammunition.
true but i know a guy who reloads so if i don't get into it i could just pay him to reload them for me.i want to reload but the startup cost to do so puts me off
Federal offense if ya do...

The best you can do is buy the supplies for him to reload for you. He can't accept compensation for producing ammunition. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Having someone hand roll them for you would be your best bet for ANY of the 338 rounds, to be honest, but as Big Uncle mentioned, especially so for the 338 A Square ('06).

If you're wanting to play with the big calibers, it really does start paying back to reload for them. You should be able to get into a reloading set up for comfortably under $500 to be WELL equipped. There just aren't that many offerings in bigger cals, and pretty rare to find many of them on the shelf at any given store.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Federal offense if ya do...

The best you can do is buy the supplies for him to reload for you. He can't accept compensation for producing ammunition. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Having someone hand roll them for you would be your best bet for ANY of the 338 rounds, to be honest, but as Big Uncle mentioned, especially so for the 338 A Square ('06).

If you're wanting to play with the big calibers, it really does start paying back to reload for them. You should be able to get into a reloading set up for comfortably under $500 to be WELL equipped. There just aren't that many offerings in bigger cals, and pretty rare to find many of them on the shelf at any given store.
& just HOW is Obammy & his lapdog Holder gonna know? I wouldn't let some trumped up, silly regulation get between my hunting & a bud who reloads! Having an illegal weapon is one thing but paying a trusted bud to reload a box or two ain't nothin to worry about.

Now personally I think a 338WM in a 18" barrel is kinda like pullin 2 spark plugs off the 8cyl in a vette... WHY? If you are wanting a short, quick, hard hitting med bore boltgun then consider a 35 Whelen! The 338WM is a GREAT cartridge but the 18" tube is really just not what that type of cart needs to shine.

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 03-11-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.