Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ruger american >

ruger american

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ruger american

Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default ruger american

looking at various guns in 223. this one came up @ the gun shop and i was wondering what experience anyone had with them.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

At the range a few weeks ago I was talking to a guy that was shooting a Ruger American. He was very impressed with it. He also had a couple of other rifles that were much pricier than the Ruger American, but it was the Ruger that he was most proud of, so it must be a pretty good model!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everything I've heard is positive.

One thing for sure - Ruger's are over-built !!!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

for what it's worth, Just picked up a 223 myself however it's an savage axis.
Trigger is ok
Stock is a cheap plastic stock
Recoil lug in the stock doesn't seem to be an issue
Clip seems flimsy but it functions fine
The thing flat out shoots, military surplus, new commercial ammo and my hand loads. Under 1/2 at 100 and a single bug hole at 50.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been wanting to get myself a Ruger American Rifle also,everything I've read about them was pretty good and several Shooters have really bragged on them....I was going to go with a 22-250 but since I read that they were making a .223 Caliber now that's what I think will be one of my next new Rifles.The Ruger American has an adjustable trigger which makes it a nice Rifle and it's Affordable!

Like Rjhans53 I also have a Savage Axis XP Camo .223 Rifle with the Bushnell 3x9x40mm scope package and it was affordable,easy to carry and Accurate,this year Savage has the Axis II with the Accu-trigger now so it's an even better made Rifle with the better trigger!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 03-05-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

When looking at the ruger american @ the gun shops i keep hearing the term "its a great entry level rifle." that makes me a little nervous and makes me think i may not like it on down the road in a couple of years. the only ruger i ever owned was a red label and i loved it at first but eventually got rid of it because of weight. it was a little heavy for a 20 ga over and under. any one have second thoughts on you ruger american?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Entry Level Rifle is another fancy name for someone's first Affordable Rifle!

I have a few higher priced Rifle and even tho I could afford to get a few more I opted for the so called Entry Level Savage Axis XP Camo .223 Rifle,it has the synthetic stock and is a nice light weight carrying Rifle that is good and Accurate as my more expensive Rifles and it didn't break the Bank and I can buy another Entry Level Rifle of a different Caliber to enjoy shooting and Hunting with.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

I agree 100%.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

I am looking at one in 22mag. Does anyone have one of those
Old 03-12-2014, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I looked at the American a few times. Looks cool in the NRA mag. But the bolt action is harsh. I'd skip it. Same with that Savage Axis. Very sloppy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.