Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help Me Pick One of These Four Rifles >

Help Me Pick One of These Four Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help Me Pick One of These Four Rifles

Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bpd1982
They are all nice rifles. Go to gun store and hold each one and take the one that feels the best to you. I have shot all of these rifle, not in 270, and like them all.
Probably the best advice you'll get. Each rifle has its own goods and bads and the only way to see which one is best for you is to handle them. By the way, you left out the Savage, Ruger and the Tikka. If it was me I'd look at those too.

As others have noted, the .270 is a great deer round but it is not a great elk/moose round. If you want one rifle to hunt North America with and you think you'll hunt elk/moose etc... I'd suggest the 30-06 over the .270. With a 150 gr bullet it will be nearly as fast as the .270 and you can get bullets up to 220 grs and a heavier bullet works better on the bigger game.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by papaholmz

1) Bolt Action
2) .270 Win. caliber
3) Synthetic Stock
4) Stainless Barrel

These are the four rifles I'm trying to decide on:

1) Weatherby Vanguard 2 ~$625
2) Remington 700 SPS ~$660
3) Winchester 70 Ultimate Shadow SS ~$770
4) Remington 700 Mountain SS ~$885
(* All prices are taken from CheaperThanDirt.com so they would also include a fee for FFL transfer and shipping.)

Thanks,
John
Weatherby 2 is a okay rifle with a terrible trigger, look at a Howa 1500 instead of the Vanguard 2. Basically the same action but with a better trigger and I think the action itself is much smoother.

700 SPS is a great rifle, take that plastic stock off and pick up a BC, HS, McMillan or Manners and you'll be set for a life time, also will need a trigger tune too.

Model 70's are also fine guns, take a look at the Extreme Weather, a bit more money but won't need any upgrades out of the box.

700 Mountain, basically an SPS with a better stock. After a trigger job they are hard to beat.

You should take a long look at a Browning A-Bolt/X-bolt too...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by papaholmz
I'm looking to buy my first hunting rifle. At first I had decided on what I considered to be the Lexus of rifles, a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe. But then I kept on reading and decided that a Toyota would be just as good as a Lexus (and beside, as so many others have said, the deer won't know the difference). So, instead of a $1,800+ rifle I decided to go cheaper but still get quality. I've already decided on some of the features I want the riffle to have

These are the four rifles I'm trying to decide on:

1) Weatherby Vanguard 2 ~$625
2) Remington 700 SPS ~$660
3) Winchester 70 Ultimate Shadow SS ~$770
4) Remington 700 Mountain SS ~$885
(* All prices are taken from CheaperThanDirt.com so they would also include a fee for FFL transfer and shipping.)

Thanks,
John
If you want to tinker or improve the rifle, the Remmy's have more available aftermarket parts and almost any decent Smith knows his way around one. If this is the case, the SPS is your best choice.
I'm thinking that the 700 mountain S/S would require the least monkeying with to be a happy making choice for the longest time, with the Model 70 a close second.

IIRC the Weatherby is built on a Howa action, though this info may be outdated by now.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have the vanguard and the Howa 1500 same rifle he trigger. the vanguard has a little better stock. have 2 vanguard a howa and a s&w 1500. same gun interchangeable parts. nice rifles lookin for a vanguard.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd personally pick the Mountain rifle out of the 4. Not motivated to get the Vanguard for any reason, nor the SPS. The Winchester, well, I guess I've just lost faith in Winchester 70's after everything that happened in 2006. Asked this question 10yrs ago, I'd probably recommend the Winchester over the 700 for a hunter, 700 over 70 for a target shooter.

My "this should have been on your list" 2cents would be a Savage model. I'm honestly favoring the Savages over the low end 700's these days.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
I have the vanguard and the Howa 1500 same rifle he trigger. the vanguard has a little better stock. have 2 vanguard a howa and a s&w 1500. same gun interchangeable parts. nice rifles lookin for a vanguard.
I just got a Vanguard 2 in and it definitely doesn't have the same trigger as my Howa. It's almost like a two stage, where my Howa is just a nice crisp trigger. The action itself isn't as smooth either.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

both of mine are the original vanguard and the Howard before the 3way safety same triggers in them.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bbj270
both of mine are the original vanguard and the Howard before the 3way safety same triggers in them.
"Match Quality Two-Stage Trigger is "creep free" for consistent let-off. Each trigger is hand-honed, factory-tuned and inspected for a clean, crisp break, improving shooter accuracy. Fully adjustable down to 2.5 lbs. Trigger housing is constructed of lightweight alloy"

I guess the new Series 2 is a 2-Stage...

Yes the originals are the same as a Howa, which is a fantastic rifle for the price.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tikka?

Browning?

Honestly I think you'd have to just go check'em out in person, see what looks/feels good to you, let the gun pick you...
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Each will probably out shoot the shooter, after a basic "tune-up".

Put your money into your optics !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.