Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
first shotgun >

first shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first shotgun

Old 02-25-2014, 06:01 AM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Default first shotgun

Just picked up a mossberg 500 and lovin it! Anyone recommend ammo, scopes/sights or chocks?
bbiljah is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 06:40 AM
  #2  
Fork Horn
 
cammogunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: missouri
Posts: 195
Default

first off congrats on the first shotty. what do you plan on hunting with it because if you were hunting turkeys i would slap a red dot on there and i like nitro turkey 4 shot for turkey and as for a choke i would use a full or extra full...however if you are hunting deer you are probly using slugs and you only want a modified choke and a 2x scope
cammogunner is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 AM
  #3  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Default

I wanna hunt everything! lol I deff know I want hogs, bucks, and turks, maybe a few waterfowl hear and there
bbiljah is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 AM
  #4  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Default

Any sights / scopes you recommend?
bbiljah is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
 
Nomercy448's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,898
Default

I'm not really a fan of scopes on a shotgun unless you're shooting slugs at 200yrds, especially when guys look at small objective scopes (32mm). I'm a big fan of open type red dot sights on shotguns that you need to "aim" (as opposed to wing shooting).

You have waterfowl, turkey, deer, and hogs on your list. For me, that's at LEAST 3 different set ups for sight, choke, and load combinations. Add upland hunting to that list and it's 4-5 different combinations.

Waterfowl: This is your only wingshooting on your list. For wingshooting, a longer barrel in the 26" ballpark with a "hi-viz" fiber optic bead up front is my preference (Tru-Glo makes vent rib and barrel clip on models, but a permanent screw in option is better). Modified choke with No.3 shot is what I use over decoys for ducks, No1 shot over decoys for geese, BB shot for longer shooting for either.

Upland Game: (Pheasants & Quail) Not on your list, but it's a very common use for scatterguns. For pheasant & quail, same high viz bead and long barrel, with a Modified choke and 7 1/2 shot is what I use. Full choke is an option if you'll be shooting longer stretches, I'll sometimes throw in the full if I'm hunting pheasant in open ground if the weather is warm that winter.

Turkey: A bit shorter barrel is usually nice for turkeys, 22-24" is plenty. Extra full chokes are the game here. I use a 0.660" or 0.655" choke with No.5 shot (Primos Tightwad and Tru-Glo Gobble-Stopper). For this type of hunting, you'll be aiming, rather than pointing, so having sights is a benefit. At the low end, I use Tru-Glo clamp on (not clip on) fiber optic sights that mount to the vent rib. I also have a Truglo red dot mounted on B-square saddle mount (less than ideal, but very functional) that I use for turkeys and coyotes. I'd rather have my receiver drilled and tapped for a rigid rail, but I bedded the Saddle mount with epoxy, and it has held zero, and repeats zero very well for me. A Burris Speedbead is my "top end" prefered option, but I haven't been able to convince myself to spend the coin on one... yet.

Deer/Hogs: For myself, I'd swap over to a 20-22" rifled barrel, and use Brenneke slugs. If not, then a rifled slug out of a smoothe bore barrel is suitable, but won't be as accurate. With the smoothebore, I'd look at the same sight set up as I described above for turkeys. For rifled barrels, most guys favor cantilevered scope/sight mounts over receiver mounts, since many shotgun barrels aren't perfectly rigid to the receiver. A Burris Speedbead or FastFire II is a great sight for this use, unless you're shooting longer ranges (100-200yrds), in which case a scope can be a benefit. I used a rifled barrel 870 with a cantilivered bushnell scope many years ago.

Hogs: I'd be pretty easily convinced to use 00 buckshot for smaller hogs. In that case, I'd use an improved choke or light modified. I'd probably look into a red dot sight, or use the Tru-Glo clamp on fiber optic sights with the Ghost ring rear sight. I'd have the ability to aim, but then a faster handling option for shots on the run. I'd be looking at an 18.5-22" barrel for this purpose. (I have an 18.5" Carlson's aftermarket barrel for a Benelli Supernova that I use for coyotes with this exact set up).
Nomercy448 is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 AM
  #6  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I'm not really a fan of scopes on a shotgun unless you're shooting slugs at 200yrds, especially when guys look at small objective scopes (32mm). I'm a big fan of open type red dot sights on shotguns that you need to "aim" (as opposed to wing shooting).

You have waterfowl, turkey, deer, and hogs on your list. For me, that's at LEAST 3 different set ups for sight, choke, and load combinations. Add upland hunting to that list and it's 4-5 different combinations.

Waterfowl: This is your only wingshooting on your list. For wingshooting, a longer barrel in the 26" ballpark with a "hi-viz" fiber optic bead up front is my preference (Tru-Glo makes vent rib and barrel clip on models, but a permanent screw in option is better). Modified choke with No.3 shot is what I use over decoys for ducks, No1 shot over decoys for geese, BB shot for longer shooting for either.

Upland Game: (Pheasants & Quail) Not on your list, but it's a very common use for scatterguns. For pheasant & quail, same high viz bead and long barrel, with a Modified choke and 7 1/2 shot is what I use. Full choke is an option if you'll be shooting longer stretches, I'll sometimes throw in the full if I'm hunting pheasant in open ground if the weather is warm that winter.

Turkey: A bit shorter barrel is usually nice for turkeys, 22-24" is plenty. Extra full chokes are the game here. I use a 0.660" or 0.655" choke with No.5 shot (Primos Tightwad and Tru-Glo Gobble-Stopper). For this type of hunting, you'll be aiming, rather than pointing, so having sights is a benefit. At the low end, I use Tru-Glo clamp on (not clip on) fiber optic sights that mount to the vent rib. I also have a Truglo red dot mounted on B-square saddle mount (less than ideal, but very functional) that I use for turkeys and coyotes. I'd rather have my receiver drilled and tapped for a rigid rail, but I bedded the Saddle mount with epoxy, and it has held zero, and repeats zero very well for me. A Burris Speedbead is my "top end" prefered option, but I haven't been able to convince myself to spend the coin on one... yet.

Deer/Hogs: For myself, I'd swap over to a 20-22" rifled barrel, and use Brenneke slugs. If not, then a rifled slug out of a smoothe bore barrel is suitable, but won't be as accurate. With the smoothebore, I'd look at the same sight set up as I described above for turkeys. For rifled barrels, most guys favor cantilevered scope/sight mounts over receiver mounts, since many shotgun barrels aren't perfectly rigid to the receiver. A Burris Speedbead or FastFire II is a great sight for this use, unless you're shooting longer ranges (100-200yrds), in which case a scope can be a benefit. I used a rifled barrel 870 with a cantilivered bushnell scope many years ago.

Hogs: I'd be pretty easily convinced to use 00 buckshot for smaller hogs. In that case, I'd use an improved choke or light modified. I'd probably look into a red dot sight, or use the Tru-Glo clamp on fiber optic sights with the Ghost ring rear sight. I'd have the ability to aim, but then a faster handling option for shots on the run. I'd be looking at an 18.5-22" barrel for this purpose. (I have an 18.5" Carlson's aftermarket barrel for a Benelli Supernova that I use for coyotes with this exact set up).
That was a lot to take in! My brain hurts lol. I'll look into that. I know it already has a bead up front. I know I gotta use slugs on boar-deer, I do have a smooth bore. Not looking to spend a whole lot of $ being a college student lol
bbiljah is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 09:35 AM
  #7  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,476
Default

What barrel(s) do you already have on/with the gun?

Most Mossy 500's generally come with their plain-jane, screw-in 26" barrel and often come with the 3 main chokes ... Improved, Modified, and Full. If you have a 24-26" barrel with the screw-in choke set-up then making sure you have improved, modified, full, and maybe an extra-full choke for it has you ready to start hunting most of what you're interested in.

It's true that a rifled barrel, or shorter barrel, or specialized sights and chokes will have you much more equipped, but for now having the complete set of starter chokes is sufficient for your budget.

If your barrel is not set up for screw in chokes that's the first money I'd spend. Find a screw in choke barrel if you don't already have one and start experimenting with different shot loads and slugs. It's probably the cheapest but most efficient way to go for a college student on a budget.

And oh, BTW, if this is your first shotgun and you're going to spend any serious range time with loads, especially slugs and turkey loads, spend a few bucks on a shoulder pad .. like a P.A.S.T. recoil reducing pad. It will let you keep having fun instead of cutting your session short and ruining you for the next trip to the range.

Good luck.
8mm/06 is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 10:04 AM
  #8  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by 8mm/06
What barrel(s) do you already have on/with the gun?

Most Mossy 500's generally come with their plain-jane, screw-in 26" barrel and often come with the 3 main chokes ... Improved, Modified, and Full. If you have a 24-26" barrel with the screw-in choke set-up then making sure you have improved, modified, full, and maybe an extra-full choke for it has you ready to start hunting most of what you're interested in.

It's true that a rifled barrel, or shorter barrel, or specialized sights and chokes will have you much more equipped, but for now having the complete set of starter chokes is sufficient for your budget.

If your barrel is not set up for screw in chokes that's the first money I'd spend. Find a screw in choke barrel if you don't already have one and start experimenting with different shot loads and slugs. It's probably the cheapest but most efficient way to go for a college student on a budget.

And oh, BTW, if this is your first shotgun and you're going to spend any serious range time with loads, especially slugs and turkey loads, spend a few bucks on a shoulder pad .. like a P.A.S.T. recoil reducing pad. It will let you keep having fun instead of cutting your session short and ruining you for the next trip to the range.

Good luck.
It says 20" on the barrel so I'm gussing that would be the length? also yes I have screw in chokes I'm guessing came with the gun when the PO purchessed it.
bbiljah is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
  #9  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Warren County NJ USA
Posts: 3,899
Default

Get yourself the rifled/cantilever barrel with a decent scope, the Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 is a decent scope for a decent price, also try with Remington AccuTips, or Lightfield EXP, if it's a 12ga stay with 2-3/4" shells, if it's 20ga stay with the 3"
BOWHUNTERCOP is offline  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM
  #10  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 33
Default

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
Get yourself the rifled/cantilever barrel with a decent scope, the Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 is a decent scope for a decent price, also try with Remington AccuTips, or Lightfield EXP, if it's a 12ga stay with 2-3/4" shells, if it's 20ga stay with the 3"
Can't buy a barrel lol there like $100+ I mean I could save for one :P but I'll write all this down so when I can afford a barrel I'll know. also whats the difference between rifled and smooth? I know the difference but performance wise?

Last edited by bbiljah; 02-25-2014 at 04:52 PM.
bbiljah is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.