Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
first shotgun >

first shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first shotgun

Old 02-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check to see if your chokes will screw into your barrel. I'm not familar with a 20" screw in barrel but I'm really not that up on Mossbergs. If the chokes DON'T screw into your barrel then double check to see if your barrel is rifled or not (as mentioned earlier). If you have a rifled barrel you're really only set up for saboted slugs, which is fine, but leaves you high and dry for other purposes.

If the chokes ARE for that barrel, then just see how the chokes pattern the different loads you'd like to try. For slugs (non saboted), go with your Improved Cylinder choke.

It sounds like you might need some help identifying what kind of barrel you have. Any decent local gun shop will probably help you out.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats. You will love that sg. It will end up in the "old friend" category for sure.

The advice here is good. I'm a bit different in that I don't use scopes at all on my gun. Then again, my big game is muley, antelope and elk, so I need a rifle.

I have only bow hunted turkey, but want to sg them soon.

I use a Hi-Viz sight on my ribbing on my Mossberg 500. It helps with turkey (I have been told), goose and rabbit. Still, I'm not the expert here.

You will enjoy it for dove and quail as well. I also use mine for pheasant, but not as much as my 20 gauge side-by-side.

I understand that there is a black powder barrel for it, too.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Spike

Well lucky me i live on agraculture zoned land so i can legally fire my gun on my property. So ill pick up some targets cause theres no target ranges around me :/