Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Help Understanding Shotgun Chokes >

Help Understanding Shotgun Chokes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help Understanding Shotgun Chokes

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bulletproof_JBE
Just checked the barrel out. It is in fact a fully rifled barrel. So this means what, I cant put a choke inside this? I will either need to buy a new barrel and then buy a choke, or just get a new Shotgun?
Since you're talking about a Mossberg 500...

Spare barrels are everywhere, and it's easy enough to change the barrel, so the straight forward solution is to have 2 barrels. Just get a spare barrel.

BUT, on the other hand, you might spend $150-200 for a new barrel, whereas you can probably find a used 500 for that price, or spend a bit more and get a new one.

So it's up to you. Personally, I'd buy the new shotgun, so I could leave the slug gun (your rifled barrel) set up with sights or scope, then have the smoothbore ready to go. Sit a deer stand in the morning, walk fields for pheasants midday, back in the stand in the evening. Two solutions for two applications.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bulletproof_JBE

I just have a Remington 870 Express 20 guage.

I don't really have the $$$ to just go buy another Shotgun right now, ...

You need a different barrel on your 870 to bird hunt.

You could probably trade your full rifled barrel to someone for a smooth bore barrel that would accept different choke tubes. Another route is to trade entire shotguns.

I see a bunch of used 12 gauge 870's with barrels that accept Rem Chokes for sale frequently at good prices. The 20 gauge seems a bit harder to find, but neither of them demand high prices.

Best of luck.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Spike

thanks. Ive bit doing some searching and it seems like I would be better off to just get a new shotgun for the price that im finding barrels for. Maybe I'll stop in a couple of gun stores around my area and see if they have anything used.

I completely forgot about the other Shotgun I have. I have a 16 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer model 37 Featherlight 2 3/4 Chamber. The gun was passed down to me from my Great-Grandfather. The barrel is a smoothbore all the way through, so I don't believe I would be able to put a Choke Tube into it however correct me if im wrong, but I can shoot anything as long as its 16 guage through this gun. Im sure the spread wont be nearly as good as an actual bird or Turkey gun with the proper Choke Tube in though...but I guess its worth a shot. I know 16 guage ammunition is hard to come by, im seeing some online. Any recommendations on what to try?

Theres some upland load here by Winchester..
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-26144
Federal..
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-FEH16075
Old 02-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Keep in mind that even though your 16 ga. is older and therefore does not accept interchangable choke tubes, it is still "choked". That is to say, it has a certain amount of predetermined constriction at the muzzle end of the barrel. You should be able to determine what that constriction is from imprinting somewhere on the barrel (not the receiver). Depending on what that turns out to be, you can decide if it is more appropriate for upland birds (Improved Cylinder or Modified) or for turkey (improved modified or full). I doubt it will turn out to be extra full.

Tell us what you find and we can probably help you decipher the choke if it isn't apparent.

By the way, if the gun is that old you probably want to make sure NOT to use any steel shot (as the barrel can be ruined by it). As you probably know, steel shot is required when hunting for waterfowl. I realize you didn't mention this as your intended prey, but I wouldn't want you to ruin your gun or worse be injured if you use the wrong type of shot.

I hope you enjoy upland birds as much as I do - - Best of luck!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I just noticed that you said your 16 ga. is the Deerslayer model, so my guess is it will be improved cylinder. While that would be fine for upland birds, the barrel length is apt to be on the short side (which affects your swing on the birds) and it might also have a canteliver scope mount which would make it really not appropriate for anything but deer.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by clayshooter25
Keep in mind that even though your 16 ga. is older and therefore does not accept interchangable choke tubes, it is still "choked". That is to say, it has a certain amount of predetermined constriction at the muzzle end of the barrel. You should be able to determine what that constriction is from imprinting somewhere on the barrel (not the receiver). Depending on what that turns out to be, you can decide if it is more appropriate for upland birds (Improved Cylinder or Modified) or for turkey (improved modified or full). I doubt it will turn out to be extra full.

Tell us what you find and we can probably help you decipher the choke if it isn't apparent.

By the way, if the gun is that old you probably want to make sure NOT to use any steel shot (as the barrel can be ruined by it). As you probably know, steel shot is required when hunting for waterfowl. I realize you didn't mention this as your intended prey, but I wouldn't want you to ruin your gun or worse be injured if you use the wrong type of shot.

I hope you enjoy upland birds as much as I do - - Best of luck!
Yeah the only writing I can find on the gun is on the barrel near the action. It says...

Deerslayer
Model 37-Featherlight 16ga-2 3/4 Chamber-Proof Tested Ithaca gun CO, INC Ithaca NY -Made in the USA ROTO FORGED

Here is a pic of the end of the barrel. Feels smooth. The barrel on this gun is for sure smaller than the 20ga Remington.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you have 2 slug guns and no bird gun on you hands. You can consider trading one for a bird gun.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:44 PM
Spike

im gonna stop in to some local gun shops on Monday and see if I can find myself a used bird gun for a decent price! I'll just have to suck it up and drop some $$$ I guess

thanks for all the help and info!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

That Deerslayer is a "classic", especially in 16 gauge.

Don't sell that one !!!

BTW - that gun has a "fixed" choke.

Buy yourself a new 500 or an 870 (both will have screw-in chokes).

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 AM
Spike

I would never sell that Ithaca! That was passed down to me from my Great grandfather and has a lot of sentimental value to me. I actually plan on cleaning it up and going out hunting with it a few times this year. It hasent been hunted with since he last hunted with it about 15 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.