Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
custom mosin or...? >

custom mosin or...?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

custom mosin or...?

Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Spike

Default custom mosin or...?

I have the desire to buy a hex mosin and do alot of customizations on it, Pillar bedding, glass bedding, scope, re-thread, new stock, free float barrel. or should i buy a newer rifle i need thoughts and good points to help me make my decision. id like to shoot upwards of 500+ yards
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

As someone that rebuilt a couple Mosins (learned lesson the hard way), my advice is this: For what you'll spend on a mosin, rebuilding it, then crying over what you spent to get a mosin that's still only worth $100, do yourself a favor and just buy/build a proper rifle. Nothing about the Mosin action really makes it better than other actions available for cutom builds, and your plan is 100% hinging on the fact that you HOPE AND PRAY the barreled action will shoot straight for you. Re-threading, aka setting the barrel back, will only help if there's an issue with the chamber, headspace, or concentricity, and rethreading may not actually fix all of those issues, so you're still relying on the barrel to be of high quality.

I have done 2 mosins for myself, and worked on a few others. My honest "been there, wasted money on that" advice is to go a different direction.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

X1...You will spend a lot of money on a gun that is only gonna be worth something to you. Nobody is gonna give you what you spent on it because of what it is. Look into a stevens rifle, it's a low end savage that the parts will interchange with. And you can really build into a great rifle with a lot of aftermarket parts for that guys will offer good money for it if it's done right. You never get what you spent on them but your just throwing money down the toilet with a mosin.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

got a friend that bought a 7mm mosin and is in the process of putting a lot of stuff into it. new stock, expensive scope and such. I told him it wasn't worth it because the rifle isn't worth it. also getting ammo for it could be a problem down the road.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking about doing one myself but then just looking a scope mounts and a cheap synthetic stock puts you at almost $200 plus the price of the rifle. then you ad the material to glass bed and, most of the the rifles I seen out their could use a new crown. so that cost if you don't have the tools to do the job. then their is a lot of nickel and dime stuff to do also. I don't think you could ever get your money back from a custom mosin you do your self.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

the remington 700 adl is affordable and and accurate rifle out of the box I killed a deer with my nephews adl in 7mm at almost 500 yards. only thing dine to it was a trigger job to lighten it up and smooth it out. lots of aftermarket parts for a rem 700.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

If you're doing this to save money- you won't. If you are doing it just for something to do, go for it. If you need a budget rifle buy a good used rifle. Lots of gun shops have used savage 110's and 111's for less than $300. Which is much less than you'll spend decking out a Nagant.
-Jake
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMHO, it's called polishing a turd, once done, it's still a turd.
RR