Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Handgun question >

Handgun question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handgun question

Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM
Spike

Default Handgun question

I'm 13 and in the past my dad has bought me shotguns and long rifles. My grandpa has also passed on to me some shotguns and long rifles. My dad has 3 ar 15s. 1 to keep and 2 to sell. I was going to buy one from he but he thinks it is illegal for me to own it. I was also thinking about having my dad buy me a revolver but is it legal for me to own one? Btw I live in Illinois and I do have a foid card. Also the reason I want the revolver is to hunt deer.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't you asked this question before?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Haven't you asked this question before?
Um... No? I have never even asked a question related to this...
Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, its not legal to own a handgun under the age of 21.
Its not legal to own a long gun under the age of 18, in any state, that I'm aware of. At 13, you can't even buy ammunition for a handgun let alone a long gun.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

From Illinois' FOID FAQs...

"In Illinois you must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a long gun and at least 21 years of age to purchase a handgun."

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure Illinois has more strict laws but federally you CAN own a handgun but just can't buy 1. I thought the same way until I was proven wrong.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

People are confusing the laws regarding PURCHASING firearms with the laws regarding OWNING firearms, and the laws regarding POSSESSING firearms. As defined by state and federal governments, these are 3 different capacities, and have different laws.

Purchasing is well defined: 18 to purchase long guns, 21 to purchase handguns. These laws are well prescribed by every state, and congruent with the federal mandates.

"Ownership" is basically a joke. Since there are no registeries, "ownership" is basically defined by possession and records of purchase. If I buy a gun, then hand it to my buddy and say that it's his gun then legally, it really is his, and henceforth he owns it. So there are, by and large, very few laws written about "owning" a gun.

Possession is the other area where a lot of laws exist. Since ownership is so ambiguous, and what you end up doing with the firearm is what really matters, the POSSESSION is the next regulatory fenceline. These are usually the laws that you have to follow closely as a minor, since you 1) can't buy it, 2) ownership is vague, and 3) you will find yourself possessing the firearms.

It is legal for a parent, in every state that I'm aware of, to purchase or "gift" any firearm to their child. Fairly certain that this extends to direct family members, i.e. grandparents as well, especially in the case of deceased inheritance.

It is not, however, legal, in any state that I'm aware of, for a minor child (under the age of 18) to possess a handgun without parental supervision or consent, and only then in the case of hunting or sporting competition, or in transit to said activities, or an officially sanctioned practice therefore said activities. 18yr olds are able to own and posess handguns for these purposes as well. Doesn't really make sense to make laws about ownership or possession anyway, considering in most states, you have to be over 12 to hunt solo, or in many states, over 16yrs old. You'd also have to be 15+ in most states to be able to drive yourself, or 16-18 in most states to be able to drive an ATV to go hunting. So the point is really moot.

Legally, minor children can't really "own" much of anything, and their property is considered to be that of the parents. Again, the "ownership" is really a moot point. If your parents say you can have it, or that it's yours, then it's yours for all intents and purposes, but legally, it's theirs until you're no longer a minor child, as with your TV, your bed, your house, etc.

As specific examples, I was given my first rifle at 10, my mom purchased my first handgun for me at ~13. I "owned" literally dozens of handguns purchased for me by my parents before I turned 18, the legal age to possess them alone, and 21, the legal age to buy them myself. (Fun fact - I bought 4 Ruger Single Six "Vaquerito" .32 H&R Mag revolvers on my 21st bday, to celebrate finally being legal to buy and trade without my parent's involvement).

So long story short, there are differences in the law for what a minor child can use, possess, "own," or purchase when it comes to firearms and handguns.

But yes, your parents, if they themselves are legally able to do so, can, in ANY state, purchase a handgun and let you use it, and call it yours, then when you come of age, even the state will recognize that it IS yours, based on you claiming and possessing it.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-10-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Spike

Okay but if I hunt solo with it and a game warden checks me will I be in trouble?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Spike

Go No Mercy!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

the way I see it is if they give me a foid card to legaly own a gun im going to own one... im also 13

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.