Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Side by Side Shotgun >

Side by Side Shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Side by Side Shotgun

Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Side by Side Shotgun

I had an interesting conversation with my son yesterday. He was asking what I wanted for my birthday and asked if I wanted a "shotgun with the barrels on top". Of course I said that is an excellent idea. That prompted me to start researching so I thought I would start here. I like Remington but I know there are other great manufacturers out there so I thought I would get some of your recommendations. I would also not be against an older model (antique) but I don't know where to start or what to look for. Do you have any literature recommendations that would tell me what to look for when purchasing an older (way older in some cases) gun? Thanks....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Remingtons used to be rebadged imports. Nothing wrong with that but be aware that you may very well be paying for a name stamped onto a shotgun.
If you are talking hunting grade the Savage Fox is a good one to read up on. Be careful to not go to far back as a lot of them won't tolerate smokeless powder. English are generally the cream of the crop then American, Italian and French. Russian and Spanish are generally towards the bottom.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bugflipper
Remingtons used to be rebadged imports. Nothing wrong with that but be aware that you may very well be paying for a name stamped onto a shotgun.
If you are talking hunting grade the Savage Fox is a good one to read up on. Be careful to not go to far back as a lot of them won't tolerate smokeless powder. English are generally the cream of the crop then American, Italian and French. Russian and Spanish are generally towards the bottom.
The statement about the Remington is true - unless it is a 3200. The 3200 was a beautiful and solid O/U. Very solid but a bit heavy.

Some of the best S/S shotguns are Spanish (AYA, etc.). They are expensive, but not as expensive as the English Best guns. The older good quality S/S guns are really a collectors market. The old S/S shotguns mostly have a big drop at the heel that makes it very hard for me to shoot well.

It is very hard to find a good S/S at a good price, but a reasonable O/U can be had. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe these guyz make good "first" guns

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/

Old SxS's (ie: Parker, Fox, Ithaca, L.C. Smith etc.) can cost a lot of money and would not be my first choice for a novice hunter.

Try to find a Marlin LC Smith, CZ, Ruger Gold Label, Franchi, etc. - anyone will serve you well !

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/artwor...mith_20-db.jpg

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...case-hardened/

http://www.gunsamerica.com/933288384..._label_SxS.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/970274552..._20_GA_SXS.htm

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love SxS shotguns but did most of my many years of shooting trap with Brownings and Charles Daly O/U guns. If you are seriously interested in an older, more antique shooter, you were given good advice already. I own Parker Bros., A.H. Fox, and L.C. Smith SxS guns, and the quality of those old sweethearts is evident with field usage. It is not too difficult to get production dates by serial # off the internet, and most older gun afficianados belong to an organization or so that caters to collectors of them, offering information, advice, etc. to members. Just remember, these guns are collectors items these days, and can be a little expensive for a decent well-maintained tight-on-face clean shooter. But they were absolutely the cream of the crop in their time. Many revere them quite highly today yet, and rightfully so.

GunBroker can give you an idea of what prices they are commanding on the market today.

If you are interested in newer, less-costly makes and models, the Savage/Fox line is still available, I believe, along with the Browning SxS.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Pawildman
If you are interested in newer, less-costly makes and models, the Savage/Fox line is still available, I believe, along with the Browning SxS.
Hate to disappoint you, but the Browning side by side has been out of production for years. I use a BSS in 20 ga as my go to pheasant gun. The BSS is a great gun, but they are bringing high prices now.I bought it new for about $575 and the last one I saw for sale was priced at a little over $2K. I wish I got a 12 ga at the same time I got the 20 but who knew the price would climb that much?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Hate to disappoint you, but the Browning side by side has been out of production for years. I use a BSS in 20 ga as my go to pheasant gun. The BSS is a great gun, but they are bringing high prices now.I bought it new for about $575 and the last one I saw for sale was priced at a little over $2K. I wish I got a 12 ga at the same time I got the 20 but who knew the price would climb that much?

Wow!! You're right! After reading your reply, I went and checked my BBGV and no, they have not been made for quite some time.. I think it said 1988. Seems like just last week or so I saw an advertisement for them in a hunting magazine..
Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

I could write a book on this subject...I collect older shotguns, especially the Browning Superposed shotguns and you can find a great deal of older Browning's for reasonable money, but you can also spend a pile of money. I have several Brownings, many of which see range time regularly. I prefer the over/under configuration myself, but also have a 1934 Winchester 21 Tournament Grade that is pure joy to shoot. Also look at the entry level Connecticut Shotgun lines (American handmade beautiful guns). The newer Browning Citori's and Ruger Red Labels and Winchester 100 are also good choices!

What specifically do you want to do with it? Older shotguns can be great investments...
Old 02-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

I bought my first shotgun, an O/U by Miroku (Charles Dailey), over 40 years ago. It still shoots great, but I would rather have screw in chokes.

I bought a Browning Citori that I used for Trap doubles and Skeet. I've shot close to 200,000 shells through it and it is still shooting great.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

I had forgotten about the stoegers. I have one in 410. It's a good little utility grade hunting shotgun at a good price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.